Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Dec 24, 2012 at 7:51 PM Post #3,736 of 5,568
Quote:
Hey everybody,

I've got a really difficult question ..

I'm looking for good iems (i've tried W4, they were near perfect but my ear were crying cause i have to up the level too high to be able to hear all sur subteties of a song .. And it was insuportable, but i was loving them ...

So i decided to go for the Heir 4ai, and i cried again ..

Before i was listenning to music with Q jays, and the heir were like the Q jays, really, for the price I think it's a fkcing shame ..

So i'm tired to find the perfect iems .. but i heard that etymotics were good .. Does anybody think the er4 are similar as the w4 or i'm totally out of it ?

I anybody know an iem like the W4, less tiring or with much sensibility/less impedance, i'll be please to read you :)

(Sorry if i made any mistakes, i'm french ..)

have you tried an amp or a cable change? trust me you have to try it to believe, i believe a silver cable is what you are looking for

Dec 24, 2012 at 7:51 PM Post #3,737 of 5,568
I think he means "tiring" as in he has to pump up the volume to get any details with them. Which is true, the W4s shine more with moderate-level volumes. He probably wants something that sounds good at low volumes.

Oh, also, the W4s are already pretty sensitive, can't imagine anything more sensitive. Did you like the general signature of the W4s before, or did you want something a bit more clear and revealing (hallmark attributes of well-performing low-volume IEMs). Immediately the K3003 or the PFE232 come to mind. If you still have access to the W4s, again, try tip-rolling as suggested. http://rinchoi.blogspot.ca/2012/12/the-effect-of-ear-sleeves-westone-4.html

Personally, found the buyincoin biflanges and the Hybrids to work pretty well.

Dec 24, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #3,738 of 5,568
I agree with tinyman, try tip rolling first before buying anything else. The comply tips muffle the highs so that could help abit. For about the same price you could try the SM3 which has more lush mids.

Dec 24, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #3,739 of 5,568
Quote:
I think he means "tiring" as in he has to pump up the volume to get any details with them. Which is true, the W4s shine more with moderate-level volumes. He probably wants something that sounds good at low volumes.

If this is what he means, which could be (I overlooked it :frowning2: ), then apply a resistor.  Resistance has shown to be generally positive for the W4 :)  Much better than purchasing a new IEM (unless he has a special cable with remote and mic :p ).

Dec 24, 2012 at 8:03 PM Post #3,740 of 5,568
Quote:

If this is what he means, which could be (I overlooked it :frowning2: ), then apply a resistor.  Resistance has shown to be generally positive for the W4 :)  Much better than purchasing a new IEM (unless he has a special cable with remote and mic :p ).

+1. With the Ety impedance adapter, the W4s get really linear, treble quantity goes up, midbass slopes down. Can't listen to them anymore with it. People really need to start trying the adapters with these.

Dec 24, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #3,741 of 5,568
Quote:

You got it man !

That's exactly what i mean, otherwise i use the fattest foams, maybe is that how fatiguing me .. but i don't think so and i have the others tips.

I have great source for them, i have a C4 and a soundcard asus xonar essence st

By the way, i like shinning treble, i liked very much the Q jays for that, but they were lacking in a lot of music, due to the dim quantity of bass.

With the heir i can see the difference between the beat silver cable and the "westone" cable, nothing impressive but it's better, i have to admit it.

After trying some iems, i think that i don't want a signature like jays or heir, i'm very disapointed about these lasts, i heard so many good things about them but they are totally different from the W4 ..

The W4 are more polyvalent than the heir, they sound more right i think

So like Twin said, i need W4 who sound equal at low volume, did the SM3 do this ?

Another thing, i sold the W4 and the guy told me that the sound "dull" or "contains", so he returned me and buy some news and then he said that they maybe were a counterfeit .. But it's impossible, so may i broke them with a too high volume or something were stuck on them i really don't know; maybe i just should buy another pair of them ..

By the way, thanks for you quickness, in french forum it's really not the same thing !

Dec 24, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #3,745 of 5,568
Quote:
You got it man !

That's exactly what i mean, otherwise i use the fattest foams, maybe is that how fatiguing me .. but i don't think so and i have the others tips.

I have great source for them, i have a C4 and a soundcard asus xonar essence st

By the way, i like shinning treble, i liked very much the Q jays for that, but they were lacking in a lot of music, due to the dim quantity of bass.

With the heir i can see the difference between the beat silver cable and the "westone" cable, nothing impressive but it's better, i have to admit it.

After trying some iems, i think that i don't want a signature like jays or heir, i'm very disapointed about these lasts, i heard so many good things about them but they are totally different from the W4 ..

The W4 are more polyvalent than the heir, they sound more right i think

So like Twin said, i need W4 who sound equal at low volume, did the SM3 do this ?

Another thing, i sold the W4 and the guy told me that the sound "dull" or "contains", so he returned me and buy some news and then he said that they maybe were a counterfeit .. But it's impossible, so may i broke them with a too high volume or something were stuck on them i really don't know; maybe i just should buy another pair of them ..

By the way, thanks for you quickness, in french forum it's really not the same thing !

Sounds like the PFE232 are at least worth looking into. The slight U-shape gets balanced out nicely with the bass and treble loss from low volumes (it's how our ears work), and the mids are clear enough that not much detail is lost regardless of volume. 

The most common complaint on the W4s is that they sound "dull" or "boring". Who knows, you might have gotten a fake, but it's not very probable. More likely a dud, but that's still not very probable. Best to try an new pair from someone else to make sure. Hopefully you can find someone to lend them, or have a store that stocks them.

Quote:
Yes i was thiking about buying an impedance adaptor, but somebody told me that it distort the sound, so it wasn't a good solution, but  for the price i could try !

It does distort the sound, but in this case I guess it's a good thing, since it takes off some of the coloring that many who complain against the W4 are bothered by. Try the included airplane adapter, which is essentially an impedance adapter (up to 75ohm). Sort of works as well.

Dec 24, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #3,746 of 5,568
Quote:
Yes i was thiking about buying an impedance adaptor, but somebody told me that it distort the sound, so it wasn't a good solution, but  for the price i could try !

I wouldn't really call it distorting the sound.  Really, it's more of a restricter.  The outcomes of resistance is dependent on the impedance properties of an IEM.  

Dec 29, 2012 at 2:40 PM Post #3,747 of 5,568
Quote:

I exclusively use the P-series (large), with the tips trimmed so there is no foam overhanging the core.

Shane, Can u picture this?

Dec 29, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #3,748 of 5,568
That's basically the same thing as the original yellow foamies Shure came out with.  If you like it cut off flush with the inner tube the Etymotics are the best and most durable IMHO.  Check their website and they do fit Westone and Shure.

Dec 29, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #3,749 of 5,568
LOL, impedance doesn't increase distortion. Adding impedance is amazing with these as have been heard and proven with data. The only negative is that it makes it harder to drive/power. 

Dec 30, 2012 at 11:27 AM Post #3,750 of 5,568
Quote:
I just got my W4R. These came with the new tips.

It came with everything shown in the picture except the "foam" looking tips right next to the iem cable.

Humm! This pict look like more w4 not w4r! upld your own pict! :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back