Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Dec 6, 2011 at 11:05 PM Post #2,416 of 5,568

Quote:
Again...I heard the GR07s...liked them, but not enough to buy them for $150ish.
bigsmile_face.gif
They were not in the same league...or even close IMO.

Well, you're pretty much in the minority of those I know who heard them both. But fine. IMO they're worth more than $150 (and that price is a great deal). Again, the W4s are technically better but that doesn't make the W4s more fun, or make the GR07 a bad IEM. They're closer than your ears can tell IMO. 
beerchug.gif

Dec 7, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #2,417 of 5,568

Quote:
Well, you're pretty much in the minority of those I know who heard them both. But fine. IMO they're worth more than $150 (and that price is a great deal). Again, the W4s at technically better but that doesn't make the W4s more fun, or make the GR07 a bad IEM. They're closer than your ears can tell IMO. 
beerchug.gif

They are not a bad IEM at all (GR07s), but they are not on par to my ears and please don't suggest that they are closer than my ears can tell. I can tell for me and that's what counts for me. YMMV. I agree that they're worth more than $150...I would say $250ish is the better price range.

If someone is looking for a technical proficient/neutral IEM, the Westone 4s are the better choice, but it's going to cost you more. Just like everything in this hobby, better does not cost in a linear relationship to performance. That is true and I'll concede that, but if you want the among the very best universal IEM, it'll cost you.
evil_smiley.gif

Dec 7, 2011 at 9:15 PM Post #2,418 of 5,568

Quote:
They are not a bad IEM at all (GR07s), but they are not on par to my ears and please don't suggest that they are closer than my ears can tell. I can tell for me and that's what counts for me. YMMV. I agree that they're worth more than $150...I would say $250ish is the better price range.

If someone is looking for a technical proficient/neutral IEM, the Westone 4s are the better choice, but it's going to cost you more. Just like everything in this hobby, better does not cost in a linear relationship to performance. That is true and I'll concede that, but if you want the among the very best universal IEM, it'll cost you.
evil_smiley.gif

But didn't you ask my opinion when you started this exchange asking me about the "...sound quality...."? LOL

Okay, I won't suggest that they are closer than your ears can tell. I will simply suggest that they are closer "than my ears can tell...." 
evil_smiley.gif
 ......hahaha

Listening to the GR07 right now though my Fiio E10/E9 combo, and I'm just being blown away by Coltrane's "A Love Supreme, Part II Resolution." As good as the W4s are, they get a little boring sometimes for me. The GR07 never bores me.....
beerchug.gif

Dec 7, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #2,419 of 5,568

Quote:
But didn't you ask my opinion when you started this exchange asking me about the "...sound quality...."? LOL

Okay, I won't suggest that they are closer than your ears can tell. I will simply suggest that they are closer "than my ears can tell...." 
evil_smiley.gif
 ......hahaha

Listening to the GR07 right now though my Fiio E10/E9 combo, and I'm just being blown away by Coltrane's "A Love Supreme, Part II Resolution." As good as the W4s are, they get a little boring sometimes for me. The GR07 never bores me.....
beerchug.gif

Much better.

Glad you're enjoying them.
smile.gif

Dec 10, 2011 at 12:22 PM Post #2,420 of 5,568

Quote:
And the sound quality.
tongue.gif

Been listening to the W4 for the last couple of days through the Fiio E10 (mainly listening to the Black Keys). I will have to agree with you that the W4 is one outstanding IEM paired with the right DAC and amp. Also with the right tips (I use the very deep inserting Earportz, which gives me a custom-like fit and seal). The tips I use really brings out the sub-bass in the W4, and I've said before I don't think there is a better universal IEM that I've heard for instrument separation. So, with this setup I would agree that the W4 pulls out quite a bit more from the GR07 (although I stated that the W4 is technically superior to the GR07). The Vsonic is still great, but with this setup the W4 let the GR07 know who the big brother is. 
beerchug.gif

Dec 10, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #2,421 of 5,568
Hey, can anyone provide me with a link for those Earportz? I don't know why I haven't bought them yet.

Dec 10, 2011 at 5:53 PM Post #2,423 of 5,568
Too cool.. I didn't know they had them. I always use medium tips with olives or silicons..wonder if these run similar? I recall headphone addict saying they were a bit off from what he thought..can't remember which thread though. Would rather buy a couple pair of medium than all three sizes if I was confident they might fit. For sure gonna get some though. Great store.

Dec 10, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #2,424 of 5,568
Dec 10, 2011 at 7:22 PM Post #2,425 of 5,568

I hear they run one size up. So get L if you wear M, S if wear M, etc etc.
Quote:
Too cool.. I didn't know they had them. I always use medium tips with olives or silicons..wonder if these run similar? I recall headphone addict saying they were a bit off from what he thought..can't remember which thread though. Would rather buy a couple pair of medium than all three sizes if I was confident they might fit. For sure gonna get some though. Great store.

Dec 10, 2011 at 8:34 PM Post #2,426 of 5,568

Quote:
Been listening to the W4 for the last couple of days through the Fiio E10 (mainly listening to the Black Keys). I will have to agree with you that the W4 is one outstanding IEM paired with the right DAC and amp. Also with the right tips (I use the very deep inserting Earportz, which gives me a custom-like fit and seal). The tips I use really brings out the sub-bass in the W4, and I've said before I don't think there is a better universal IEM that I've heard for instrument separation. So, with this setup I would agree that the W4 pulls out quite a bit more from the GR07 (although I stated that the W4 is technically superior to the GR07). The Vsonic is still great, but with this setup the W4 let the GR07 know who the big brother is. 
beerchug.gif

Right back at you.
beerchug.gif

Dec 12, 2011 at 6:30 AM Post #2,427 of 5,568
With the help of the Monster eartip adapters, coupled with the medium (green) Sony hybrids, the W4's low end is a lot punchier than I had imagined. I'm happy to say that after using them on and off for the past few weeks, the W4's are yet again in my top 5 favorite all time universal in-ears. Their detail and clarity is simply stunning, and never ceases to impress me!  
biggrin.gif

Dec 12, 2011 at 12:46 PM Post #2,428 of 5,568
X2

Quote:
With the help of the Monster eartip adapters, coupled with the medium (green) Sony hybrids, the W4's low end is a lot punchier than I had imagined. I'm happy to say that after using them on and off for the past few weeks, the W4's are yet again in my top 5 favorite all time universal in-ears. Their detail and clarity is simply stunning, and never ceases to impress me!  
biggrin.gif

Dec 12, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #2,429 of 5,568

Quote:
beerchug.gif

Hey eric I have a question about the Fiio E10: must the usb be connected to a laptop or desktop or can it be powered from the wall socket using, say, an iPhone charger usb converter thing?
NVM I figured it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back