Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Dec 1, 2011 at 7:23 PM Post #2,388 of 5,568
Quote:
Seeing as you seem to be the only one complaining of too much bass, it is always possible you have a defective pair.

Most (all?) of the other tips I tried didn't seem boomy.  And, I didn't say it had to much bass.  I didn't like the frequency range that was emphasized.  I need to spend a lot more time comparing the various tips, but last night after midnight didn't seem like the right time.

Dec 1, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #2,389 of 5,568

Quote:
I've been thinking about removing my Olives and replacing them with a new pair or trying out these Earportz. Any removal tips besides the freezer? 
ph34r.gif

Honestly...the freezer is a charm.

Dec 1, 2011 at 9:21 PM Post #2,392 of 5,568

Quote:
I actually settled in on the medium Comply's. Go figure...I hated them on my SE535s.

Same - I eventually settled on the large T series Comply for both the W4 and the UM3X. They definitely don't last as long as Shure Olives, but after 3-4 months of going back and forth, the T series Comply's have the best sound and comfort for my ear canals - and I've got a large enough stash to last me until I get a pair of UM56s.

Dec 1, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #2,393 of 5,568
My daily drivers for IEMs have been the MTPC/HF2. I wanted something with the isolation of an Ety, but with a sound that improved on the weak points of these IEMs. Enter the W4R.

So.. I've been listening to these for 4-5 hours. Yep, they're giving me the impression that they're better than any other universal IEM I've tried. Though part of me wants a bit more highs, the rational part is saying "you won't get that treble headache/nausea after extended-listening".

The bass depth/impact/extension is superb. For my preferences all I would want is even more resolution (guess I'd need to go up the ladder). Still, I can more or less hear every note the bass player is fingering in rock songs, which is the way I like my bass -- heard more than felt.

Mids are as good or better than the Coppers (which was the reason I liked them), with nice timbre and not too forward for my tastes... the singer is smack in the middle of the mix.

Highs are nice and extended, but again, less aggressive than I'm used to. I'm going to need a bit of psychological burn in here to get used to this smoother signature. I need to curb my addiction to sparkle.

So taken as a whole, the W4 have as much detail/separation across the range as my Etys (or possibly more) with "perfect" bass and clearly improved soundstage/transparency.

And for the more mundane aspects:

Pros:

+plenty of detail at low listening volumes (unlike copper), not fatiguing.
+isolation, with the triple flanges is excellent, near ETY level.
+light weight, very comfortable in ears, can be worn while sleeping on side.
+cable is replaceable, can be upgraded to EPIC mic cable
+carrying case is nice extra

Cons:

-The w4 is less forgiving of bad recordings and poorly encoded/low bit rate files than the copper was with it's "blended" sound.
-The braided cable will probably separate over time, memory wire is annoying but useful to cut down on microphonics when worn over-ear
-Expensive, even at 25% off. And to think... the ES5 costs twice as much o_0
beerchug.gif

Dec 2, 2011 at 12:53 AM Post #2,394 of 5,568

Quote:
My daily drivers for IEMs have been the MTPC/HF2. I wanted something with the isolation of an Ety, but with a sound that improved on the weak points of these IEMs. Enter the W4R.

So.. I've been listening to these for 4-5 hours. Yep, they're giving me the impression that they're better than any other universal IEM I've tried. Though part of me wants a bit more highs, the rational part is saying "you won't get that treble headache/nausea after extended-listening".

The bass depth/impact/extension is superb. For my preferences all I would want is even more resolution (guess I'd need to go up the ladder). Still, I can more or less hear every note the bass player is fingering in rock songs, which is the way I like my bass -- heard more than felt.

Mids are as good or better than the Coppers (which was the reason I liked them), with nice timbre and not too forward for my tastes... the singer is smack in the middle of the mix.

Highs are nice and extended, but again, less aggressive than I'm used to. I'm going to need a bit of psychological burn in here to get used to this smoother signature. I need to curb my addiction to sparkle.

So taken as a whole, the W4 have as much detail/separation across the range as my Etys (or possibly more) with "perfect" bass and clearly improved soundstage/transparency.

And for the more mundane aspects:

Pros:

+plenty of detail at low listening volumes (unlike copper), not fatiguing.
+isolation, with the triple flanges is excellent, near ETY level.
+light weight, very comfortable in ears, can be worn while sleeping on side.
+cable is replaceable, can be upgraded to EPIC mic cable
+carrying case is nice extra

Cons:

-The w4 is less forgiving of bad recordings and poorly encoded/low bit rate files than the copper was with it's "blended" sound.
-The braided cable will probably separate over time, memory wire is annoying but useful to cut down on microphonics when worn over-ear
-Expensive, even at 25% off. And to think... the ES5 costs twice as much o_0
beerchug.gif

Great post. I am coming from the HF5. Mine shipped yesterday. (So much for same or next day shipping) I got the 25% off from earphone solutions.

I will give you a review and comparison once they arrive. 

I am a bit worried about the insertion and isolation, its impossible to beat the triple flange Ety's for isolation. It's great to see that you didn't have a problem, I am a bit picky about this though. 

Also, I had same problem with the fatigue from the sparkle of the HF5's. This is part of the reason I wanted the W4's which I am told do not fatigue. I also want to upgrade to W4's for the bass that was lacking on the HF5 also. 

I loved the HF5 overall just the lack off bass and the sparkle of the highs were the only flaws. I don't think the single BA is capable of encompassing the full spectrum as well, but that is up to debate. Hopefully W4 fixes both of those for me. 

Dec 3, 2011 at 5:56 AM Post #2,396 of 5,568
I spent all of yesterday with the W4's, and the trimmed Westone triflanges (which in turn become biflanges) really brought out the low end I found too soft earlier. Been enjoying the W4 for hours on end since! 
ksc75smile.gif

Dec 4, 2011 at 10:33 AM Post #2,398 of 5,568
Okay, so I'm still listening to the W4R I have spent at least 10 hours with them in my ears since I got them. The sound is Awesome (only if listening to lossless or FLAC or 320kps) if listening to lower quality, you will hear how bad the track is.

I find that with the iPhone my sound is a lot softer and highs seem less harsh than with my computer. (very personal and subjective opinion).

I wish a little more bass. But when listening to the beatles albums in FLAC the soundstage is incredible and the sound makes me feel I'm with them.

Dec 4, 2011 at 12:14 PM Post #2,399 of 5,568
So I cashed in on the GR07 £99 frogbeats deal to get a pair for my dad. Am burning them in for him now, and the sound is truly fantastic. It rivals the W4 (which I own), but presents a slightly different sound signature.

Anyone own both + give a detailed comparison of how the sound signatures compare after GR07 burn in? Am considering keeping the GR07 and giving him the W4, as I've heard the GR07 keep getting better with upto 200h being required for them to settle down.

A reason I love the W4 is that they are a great allrounder and present great detail. I listen to almost every genre under the sun, and this includes lo-fi metal - to which the W4 are forgiving enough! The GR07 seem to be a little bit more forgiving though, and their sub bass impact is just incredibly enjoyable whereas the W4 seems somewhat restrained in the 20-60hz range.

I'm torn, someone give me an impression of how these will compare once the GR07 settles down!!

Dec 4, 2011 at 12:32 PM Post #2,400 of 5,568

I have both, and a few others I know who have or have heard both consider the GR07 the baby brother of the W4. I would agree with that. The W4 is technically better, but the margin of enjoyment in sound - to my ear - is quite minimal between the two. Once you get like 200 hours on the  GR07 it goes into a whole different leve. So, the W4 is warmer and I think it has better instrument separation than the GR07. I think the GR07 has the best drums I've ever heard in a any universal IEM (and I've heard quite a few of the best). The W4 drums are close though with great details. I like the horns better in the W4, and vocals a little better in the Westone. It's hard really, both are great. I slightly like the GR07 over the W4 (but that's just more from a personal sound signature preference than thinking one is better than the other). I have both and plan on keeping both.
Quote:
So I cashed in on the GR07 £99 frogbeats deal to get a pair for my dad. Am burning them in for him now, and the sound is truly fantastic. It rivals the W4 (which I own), but presents a slightly different sound signature.

Anyone own both + give a detailed comparison of how the sound signatures compare after GR07 burn in? Am considering keeping the GR07 and giving him the W4, as I've heard the GR07 keep getting better with upto 200h being required for them to settle down.

A reason I love the W4 is that they are a great allrounder and present great detail. I listen to almost every genre under the sun, and this includes lo-fi metal - to which the W4 are forgiving enough! The GR07 seem to be a little bit more forgiving though, and their sub bass impact is just incredibly enjoyable whereas the W4 seems somewhat restrained in the 20-60hz range.

I'm torn, someone give me an impression of how these will compare once the GR07 settles down!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back