Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Apr 12, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #1,516 of 5,568

Nice impressions.  I have to think the less efficient W4's benefit much more from the cable and amp upgrade than the SE535.

Thanks Steve.

You are correct...they are not as efficient as the SE535s...good point. I have to turn up my iBasso D4 a few clicks higher to volume match the two IEMs.

Apr 12, 2011 at 11:17 PM Post #1,517 of 5,568
I had bought a W4 for a couple of days now, and love the sound. Using the provided clear sleeves, excellent fit and sound. Totally balanced, with just enough bass for my taste. Non fatiguing as well. I could listen to it for hours.

Apr 13, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #1,518 of 5,568
I had bought a W4 for a couple of days now, and love the sound. Using the provided clear sleeves, excellent fit and sound. Totally balanced, with just enough bass for my taste. Non fatiguing as well. I could listen to it for hours.

One of my favourite things about them 2 days in with about 8 hours logged on them.

Apr 13, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #1,519 of 5,568
Every single person who posts a tip thing in this thread - just go buy some um-56 already.  Tips are the biggest waste of money and are all just pure crap compared to a set of um-56.  I have had the same set for various shure and westone and its such a massive upgrade without going to full customs.  If you are doing the "what tip is best game" you are going to blow $100 pretty fast anyways.

I just got a pair of W4 in today.  Strep throat + iems = how about no.  I need to wait a week or so.

Apr 13, 2011 at 11:45 PM Post #1,520 of 5,568
I think I've spent about $40 or so total on tips not included in my iem purchases over the years and the UM56 isn't exactly that cheap for a tip.

Apr 14, 2011 at 12:44 AM Post #1,521 of 5,568
YMMV, but I see absolutely no point in getting an UM56 for my W4. First of all, I have a perfect and extremely comfy fit with my reversed Olives and isolation is easily sufficient for my purpose. Second, the UM56 would presumably make the W4 stick out more. And last but not least, I already get considerable thumping noise from occlusion while walking, so a tighter seal would most likely make that even worse, wouldn't it?

Apr 14, 2011 at 1:24 AM Post #1,522 of 5,568

Quote:
And last but not least, I already get considerable thumping noise from occlusion while walking, so a tighter seal would most likely make that even worse, wouldn't it?

Most likely yes.  More so acrylic, much less so vinyl, least so silicone.  I can't speak to experience w/ solid silicone versus silicone universal tips.  Though you may pick up more ambient isolation.

Apr 14, 2011 at 8:53 AM Post #1,523 of 5,568
james444, its pretty flush, the iem housing is still sitting on your ear, i like mine at a certain rotation for the most comfort or the iem is pushing on my ear as well.

The walk thump is just part of the game.  I dont know if its worse, I work out with the um56/um3x combo all the time and it only annoys me on concrete, not on a machine like an eliptical.

The fit and sound quality improvement is amazing.  I was happy with black shure tips before.

Apr 14, 2011 at 8:39 PM Post #1,524 of 5,568
Hey MacedonianHero
How do the westone 4's perform with classical music? More specifically, violins?
And also how are they compared to the UE triplefi 10's?

Looking to get the Westone 4's because of the flat sound you've mentioned.

Apr 14, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #1,525 of 5,568
Hey MacedonianHero
How do the westone 4's perform with classical music? More specifically, violins?

Haven't got around to it yet...I listen mostly to rock/hard rock/metal and jazz...Once I do, I will report back. :smile:

So far, the one word that comes to mind is SMOOOOTH!

Apr 14, 2011 at 8:51 PM Post #1,526 of 5,568
The TF10's are all about PRaT and have very airy treble that is really nice.  The W4 is all around better than the TF10.  It has more detail in every part of the spectrum, whereas the TF10 lacks detail in comparison.  The W4's have better instrument realism and separation.  Not to mention the W4's are more comfortable to wear and have a great cable.  The TF10 not so much.  Of course this is all my opinion...

Apr 14, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #1,527 of 5,568

Quote:
Quote:
Hey MacedonianHero

Haven't got around to it yet...I listen mostly to rock/hard rock/metal and jazz...Once I do, I will report back.
smile.gif

So far, the one word that comes to mind is SMOOOOTH!

Alright sounds good. Looking forward to hearing your impressions.

Quote:
The TF10's are all about PRaT and have very airy treble that is really nice.  The W4 is all around better than the TF10.  It has more detail in every part of the spectrum, whereas the TF10 lacks detail in comparison.  The W4's have better instrument realism and separation.  Not to mention the W4's are more comfortable to wear and have a great cable.  The TF10 not so much.  Of course this is all my opinion...

Yeah I currently own the TripleFi 10's and fortunately they are comfortable for me but after 2 weeks of listening I've grown tired of the sound signature. Hopefully the W4 will suit my tastes.

Apr 14, 2011 at 11:51 PM Post #1,528 of 5,568
Quote:

Below is a link to my short comparison with the Sony EX1000. I listen to about 50% classical. Sibelius Violin Concerto (Hilary Hahn) sounds very good and tonally accurate, but a tiny bit edgy.

Quote:
For anyone interested, here are my (provisional) impressions of the W4 vs. the EX1000.

Apr 15, 2011 at 10:27 AM Post #1,529 of 5,568

Quote:
Below is a link to my short comparison with the Sony EX1000. I listen to about 50% classical. Sibelius Violin Concerto (Hilary Hahn) sounds very good and tonally accurate, but a tiny bit edgy.

Thanks, that was very informative. One question though: what do you mean by "edgy"?

Apr 15, 2011 at 10:56 AM Post #1,530 of 5,568
Gah, I love these.. so pleasant, non-fatiguing, smooth and detailed. Listening to "To One in Paradise" by Alan Parsons right now
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back