Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Mar 20, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #1,291 of 5,568

Quote:
I have the W4, they are amazing.Warranty is 1 year from Westone and you register your W4 on their website, and for another extra 1 year get the registration card within 90 days from purchase day the and sent it to Westone, USA for another year.That's what i did.So you get 2 year international warranty.
Where about you live in London?I am in Wallington.Cheers, Levi

So if somthing happens to ur W4's will u have to send them to america to get fixed? would that cost alot? 

Just another question regarding the bass of W4, someone here mentioned the SE535 has more bass impact and less extension, and the W4 has more bass but less impact. Do those who have heard both agree with this? 

Mar 21, 2011 at 7:28 PM Post #1,292 of 5,568
I've gotten my W4 in the mail today :) It took a while longer to post since for some reason I couldn't find this thread earlier.. The housing seem similar to the W3 although I don't have them both to compare. I'm not a fan of the short nozzle and I think a bit longer would have been a better idea since I do recall many complaining about the W3 for that. Either way these are one of the few earphones what when using that triple flange that is included I do not trim the stalk down.

I'm going to have to do some searching of Larry's posts later and see what custom tips do. If I like these enough I'll consider them but I do need to see prices since I do have some Westone dealers around me so might be able to get impressions for free at least.

I am really liking the bass out of these. I got some mixed reactions about it and some said it was not enough and some say it's just enough. I like it and it has great quality to it. It's no bass cannon and definitely not bass light. It's quite powerful when it needs to be (which is something I did not like about the W3 where it was a bass cannon all the time imo) with good extension and resolution.

I'll report more later but that was the only thing I was worrying about with these. I didn't want something bass light but then I didn't have too much to worry about. A lot of head-fi member's bass light is just right for me.

Mar 21, 2011 at 8:48 PM Post #1,293 of 5,568

Just another question regarding the bass of W4, someone here mentioned the SE535 has more bass impact and less extension, and the W4 has more bass but less impact. Do those who have heard both agree with this? 

I had a chance to A/B both of them for a couple days when I had them both in my possession. The W4 definitely has more extension than the SE535. In terms of impact, the SE535 and W4 are close, with the W4 slightly edging ahead. The extension is where it gets you though; although the impact is similar, the W4 bass comes off as much fuller than that of the SE535 since you can hear the low rumbling bass along with all the other bass.

Mar 21, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #1,294 of 5,568
After experimenting with the stock tips I think I'll have to look elsewhere. With my ears I usually have one side that always starts losing seal after a while and have the earphones back in to give the seal back. I get that with all the stock tips. However the Shure olives fixed that for me with the last earphone I used them on.

I do have a question regarding those who use the Shure olive tips. How easy are they to remove? I don't really want to deal with anything like I hear with the Shure earphones where it is really difficult to remove and you have to put it in the freezer to remove it.

Mar 21, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #1,295 of 5,568

Quote:
After experimenting with the stock tips I think I'll have to look elsewhere. With my ears I usually have one side that always starts losing seal after a while and have the earphones back in to give the seal back. I get that with all the stock tips. However the Shure olives fixed that for me with the last earphone I used them on.

I do have a question regarding those who use the Shure olive tips. How easy are they to remove? I don't really want to deal with anything like I hear with the Shure earphones where it is really difficult to remove and you have to put it in the freezer to remove it.

The freezer trick is actually quite simple and works very well. Just pop 'em in for a few minutes and they'll come right off.

Mar 21, 2011 at 10:18 PM Post #1,296 of 5,568

Quote:

I haven't had any problem getting the Shure olives off the Westone 4.

Mar 21, 2011 at 11:22 PM Post #1,298 of 5,568
Be careful with that if you haven't stretched out the cores a little. When I used the olives on my W4's, they were fine for a couple weeks; however, when I haven't taken them off in a while and finally tried to, they were stuck. I ended up having to rip the foam off and slowly cut the core until it came off... basically destroyed the olives to get them off. =(

Quote:
I haven't had any problem getting the Shure olives off the Westone 4.

Mar 22, 2011 at 12:04 AM Post #1,300 of 5,568
I'm not too keen about spending $22 or so to get 3 pair of olives :T I'll try using a spacer and some tips for the larger nozzle iems. However it will take a heck of a universal for me to call it the best as it faces some stiff competition considering what I have right now.

Mar 22, 2011 at 12:10 AM Post #1,301 of 5,568

Quote:
I'm not too keen about spending $22 or so to get 3 pair of olives :T I'll try using a spacer and some tips for the larger nozzle iems. However it will take a heck of a universal for me to call it the best as it faces some stiff competition considering what I have right now.

If you think Large Olives will fit, I can send you a pair. (If you use large grey silicones, the large olives should be fine.) I've got some unused pairs. You deserve a pair for all you've done around here! Just pm your address.

Mar 22, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #1,303 of 5,568

Quote:

I haven't had any issue removing them either..  They're actually tougher to take off of the Shures. The Shure nozzle has a ridge in the middle that can make it tighter/more difficult to remove. 

Mar 22, 2011 at 10:58 AM Post #1,305 of 5,568
I've had these for close to a day and I really like them. They got a signature that's close to what I want and pretty balanced. I did like the W2 when I had them on a loan and it does not surprise me that I like these so much.

I'm using Monster triple flanges on them now with a spacer since the stock triple is not that comfortable for me. I'll have to see if I keep them but I am considering custom tips for them right now but only if I can ge them at a good price and with impressions free since those are not cheap and adding up in cost :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back