Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Mar 19, 2011 at 6:19 AM Post #1,276 of 5,568

Quote:
How do you compare W4 with SE 535 if you can remember?W4 has a better soundstage and clarity, and bass?Thanks

I'm not Mike but I think I can do it for you. Well 535 has overall better clarity of sound. Shure are brighter. Bass is much more quicker it has got punch and slam but lack body and somehow quantity especially in midbass. Westone are warm, close and intimate. The frequency response of W4 is simply oustanding and surpass SE535. SE535 roll-off highs too early. W4 soundstage is nothing like I've heard before. It's wide while being intimate and goes really deep. Sound comes form every side of earphone and it's separated to the last note. So even when music is thick you can hear everything clearly. Shure Se535 does like half of this. Soundstage is nice, wide and deep but it only gives you sneak peek of W4.
Overall clarity is better with shures - vocals are clean, in front of you. W4 vocals are only a bit muffled to give you this nice warm feeling.
Without a doubt I'd pick W4 for myself. SE533 tend to sound too lifeless and uninviting, whilst W4 just drag you into the music and make you listen to it without being to fatiuging and boring.
Shures are best IEM for studio or critical listening, W4 just play music :)

Mar 19, 2011 at 1:41 PM Post #1,277 of 5,568
You can read my impressions here.  The sound signature just didn't sit well with me at all, as the mids were way too much for my tastes and/or the music I listen to on a lot of tracks. I don't regret selling the 535s for a second. The 4's also don't have the hiss I heard on the 535s and seem to be a LOT more forgiving on source quality on top of sounding great. Comfort and isolation wise they're about on par w/each other, though I find the 4's a little more comfortable as they don't protrude out of the ear as much.

Quote:
How do you compare W4 with SE 535 if you can remember?W4 has a better soundstage and clarity, and bass?Thanks

Mar 19, 2011 at 2:03 PM Post #1,278 of 5,568

I picked up a production sample at CES 2011, and it is, to my ears, the best universal-fit IEM I've so far heard.

I'll post a review of the W4 at some point, hopefully soon, but here are some of my thoughts:

1. Great overall balance. Though I wouldn't characterize it as neutral, I'm also not bothered by any overt emphasis on any particular part of the spectrum. Again, wonderful overall balance.
  2. Lows are strong with mild emphasis. Treble is very good. The mids are where it shines, though--just oodles of detail and presence in the mids.
  3. Overall detail is exceptional. Image object separation is the best of the IEMs I've got on hand that aren't custom-fit.
  4. To the extent that an IEM can convey soundstage, the W4 is outstanding. I have some customs that do it better, but, well, they're customs.
  5. The W4's biggest disadvantage is price. At its price, one can start to seriously consider the more affordable custom-fit IEMs. That said, many simply don't want to deal with customs--having to get impressions, possible re-fits (though I've been extremely fortunate with that so far), and more limited resale options if you decide it's not for you.

Again, so far, the W4 is my favorite of the universal-fit IEMs I've so far heard.

Mar 19, 2011 at 3:13 PM Post #1,279 of 5,568

Quote:

I picked up a production sample at CES 2011, and it is, to my ears, the best universal-fit IEM I've so far heard.

I'll post a review of the W4 at some point, hopefully soon, but here are some of my thoughts:

1. Great overall balance. Though I wouldn't characterize it as neutral, I'm also not bothered by any overt emphasis on any particular part of the spectrum. Again, wonderful overall balance.
  2. Lows are strong with mild emphasis. Treble is very good. The mids are where it shines, though--just oodles of detail and presence in the mids.
  3. Overall detail is exceptional. Image object separation is the best of the IEMs I've got on hand that aren't custom-fit.
  4. To the extent that an IEM can convey soundstage, the W4 is outstanding. I have some customs that do it better, but, well, they're customs.
  5. The W4's biggest disadvantage is price. At its price, one can start to seriously consider the more affordable custom-fit IEMs. That said, many simply don't want to deal with customs--having to get impressions, possible re-fits (though I've been extremely fortunate with that so far), and more limited resale options if you decide it's not for you.

Again, so far, the W4 is my favorite of the universal-fit IEMs I've so far heard.

x2...  My IEM journey ends with the W4..

Mar 19, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #1,281 of 5,568
After listening to the SE535 for a bit, sometimes I just wish the W4 had their mids a tad bit more forward. In the mids, the W4 matches the SE535 in terms detail retrieval and texture (and possibly surpasses in texture do to the warmness), but loses out in presence. You can tell that the W4 mids are lush and beautiful, but they don't "wow" you with their true potential since they are not as forward. It's like inviting Yo-Yo Ma to be in your orchestra, but then not playing a song with a cello solo or putting him at the 16th chair.

The SE535 mids may be a bit too forward for some, but I personally don't mind them being that forward. I'm not asking that the W4 match the forwardness of the SE535, but a step closer towards it would really showcase the beautiful mids of the W4 more prominently. It may also have to do with the fact that the SE535 has a bit more clarity, making the mids seem more "crisp".

Mar 19, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #1,282 of 5,568
Please can those who have heard both W4 and SE535 compare the bass, especially kick drums. i own the SE530, and the kick drum is deep and tight. i also listened to the SE535, and found the kick drum to be much more shallow, not as deep, and too light for me. which is the W4 closer to?

Mar 20, 2011 at 2:06 AM Post #1,284 of 5,568
breezy - see mike's post (5 before yours) and click on the link he provided to a thread he created comparing the w4s, w3s, & 535s.

Mar 20, 2011 at 7:31 AM Post #1,285 of 5,568

Quote:
Please can those who have heard both W4 and SE535 compare the bass, especially kick drums. i own the SE530, and the kick drum is deep and tight. i also listened to the SE535, and found the kick drum to be much more shallow, not as deep, and too light for me. which is the W4 closer to?

I own SE530 either.
I just run side by side SE530 and W4 from uDAC. SE530 with grey sillicones has quick and punchy kick drum. Comparing to W4 (with comply) it lacks a bit of body. SE530s' drums sounds like ticking. Kick drum sounds somehow "empty". W4 kicks sound more like real kicks. Lower bass has better definition while it is as fast as SE530.
To my surprice overall nature of W4 recalls a lot of SE530 on grey sillicones. W4 are more refined, more balanced however have a little less engaging vocals. SE530 shine with vocal presentation, but fall off short when it comes to depth of soundstage and details.

Mar 20, 2011 at 1:52 PM Post #1,286 of 5,568
The latest posts are very encouraging (and contradicts a quote I found stating the "house" sound is not present). I think I am leaning away from the SM3 (also borne out of ? on durability) and leaning more towards UM3X or W4. Just a shame the London meet in a few weeks will not have the W4 otherwise that would probably seal my attendance
tongue_smile.gif
I'll look out for Jude's review

Mar 20, 2011 at 2:48 PM Post #1,287 of 5,568
thanks for those replies. well i think im gona buy them as an upgrade to my SE530's, but i live in London and there doesnt seem to be an official Westone seller in UK... im just worried how i would go about getting these fixed under warrenty if anything happens. any advise from UK owners?

Mar 20, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #1,288 of 5,568
Quote:
thanks for those replies. well i think im gona buy them as an upgrade to my SE530's, but i live in London and there doesnt seem to be an official Westone seller in UK... im just worried how i would go about getting these fixed under warrenty if anything happens. any advise from UK owners?

please be sure to share your impressions after you do the comparison. as far as the advise goes, that's easy - don't break them! 
ksc75smile.gif

Mar 20, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #1,289 of 5,568

I have the W4, they are amazing.Warranty is 1 year from Westone and you register your W4 on their website, and for another extra 1 year get the registration card within 90 days from purchase day the and sent it to Westone, USA for another year.That's what i did.So you get 2 year international warranty.
Where about you live in London?I am in Wallington.Cheers, Levi
Quote:

Mar 20, 2011 at 5:33 PM Post #1,290 of 5,568
LFC_SL, when's the meet?  If you can't find a pair (or an owner of a pair to attend) by then, I'm willing to send mine (and I will cover the expense for return shipment to me when you guys are done).  You've been a long-term enough member that I trust you to borrow them for a couple of weeks after the meet if you'd like, before you send them back to me.  Let me know.

Quote:
The latest posts are very encouraging (and contradicts a quote I found stating the "house" sound is not present). I think I am leaning away from the SM3 (also borne out of ? on durability) and leaning more towards UM3X or W4. Just a shame the London meet in a few weeks will not have the W4 otherwise that would probably seal my attendance
tongue_smile.gif
I'll look out for Jude's review

Users who are viewing this thread

Back