Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Mar 5, 2011 at 2:34 AM Post #1,156 of 5,568
Quote:
I had the ER4P with adapter. The adapter improves the highs but you loose bass unless you use a good amp.
I agree for solo instruments like piano or violin sonatas they are the best but for anything with more instruments like orchestral/symphonies they sound thin and tinny.
I'm enjoying symphnies with my IE8i but the huge mid-bass and lack of detail has forced me to look at the W4. It seems I may have made a good choice.

The IE8 have actually pretty good detail, but you won't notice it unless you EQ down their mid-bass. For something in a similar vein sans the hump, I highly recommend the Sony EX1000 with classical. That said, looking forward to your impressions on the W4.
smile_phones.gif

Mar 5, 2011 at 1:00 PM Post #1,157 of 5,568
Has there been any comparisons with the UM3X? I'm wondering how the UM3X would compare to the 4

Mar 5, 2011 at 1:01 PM Post #1,158 of 5,568
I'm not new to IEM's but relatively new to the super high end IEM's.   I'm also looking for that perfect sound.  I just recently picked up some really good IE8's and they sound really good but I found that I really don't need the bass adjustment.  The bass is great for me on the lowest setting.  If I go above level 2 on the bass, it just overpowers everything else to the point where it seems like you're not getting enough detail out of all the other frequencies to get a good balanced sound.  Anyway, I'm looking at these and checking some reviews....

Mar 5, 2011 at 1:30 PM Post #1,159 of 5,568
Has there been any comparisons with the UM3X? I'm wondering how the UM3X would compare to the 4

I think there were more than few W4 vs UM3X comparos somewhere deep in the middle of this thread at the time when most of the usual suspects got their hands on W4. I think overal verdict was in favor of W4.

Personally I had very brief exposure to UM3X and didn't like them since overly forward mids and confined soundstage aren't my cup of tea for my IEM music (mostly classic rock and blues). From the memory W4 which I now have sound much more "normal", airy and balanced while retaining same phenominal clarity, detail and instrument separation. Highs I would say are comparable while I vastly prefer W4 bass as more dynamic, controlled and textured.

But I would love to have W4 sound in a UM3X package with their deeper insertion, better shaped housings and replaceable cables.

Mar 5, 2011 at 3:10 PM Post #1,161 of 5,568

Quote:

I think more than one posting has stated these are comperable. A "more refined" UM3x is how some have described. I can't comment on this  because I have one but not the other. Sounds like the shift in focus went up the Hz scale, more treble but not piercing, less bass. I'm sure it's a pleasant mix.

Mar 5, 2011 at 3:13 PM Post #1,162 of 5,568

Quote:
But I would love to have W4 sound in a UM3X package with their deeper insertion, better shaped housings and replaceable cables.

My thoughts exactly . I guess I've already said as much. My freakish ears and body oils are more inclined to the serviceable nature of the UM series along with the better fit. I do like the extra tips and adapters that come with the W series though. I'm waiting for the possible UM4

Mar 5, 2011 at 5:42 PM Post #1,163 of 5,568

Quote:
The IE8 have actually pretty good detail, but you won't notice it unless you EQ down their mid-bass. For something in a similar vein sans the hump, I highly recommend the Sony EX1000 with classical. That said, looking forward to your impressions on the W4.
smile_phones.gif

I can't eq on my iphone but I've been experimenting with the equalizer in foobar2000 on my PC and you are right, it's like the fog is lifted. It makes me wonder if I should get the Cowon X7.
Your excellent review makes me want the Sony EX1000 but they are not availiable yet in the UK.
Thanks.

Mar 5, 2011 at 11:30 PM Post #1,165 of 5,568
Guys,

I'm kinda new in the high end IEM's field. I'm currently using a Klipsch Image S4 and I'm desperate do upgrade it. Would W4 be a good step up, or TF10 would fit my needs best? I've read this post from the first page and still can't decide.

Mar 5, 2011 at 11:33 PM Post #1,166 of 5,568
That a lot to read. However it really depends on what you want as an upgrade to your S4. Do you want something similar or completely different..

Mar 5, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #1,167 of 5,568
Hahaha, and I was completely serious about the hole reading thing. I'm on vacation and have literally nothing to do!

I want something similar. My S4 have a V shaped sound but I feel that it sounds muddy, with too much recessed mids. AFAIK, TF10 is one of the worst IEM when it comes to fitting. That is the only problem I found about it so far. And US$180 is a bang for the buck.

I am willing to sacrifice my wallet if W4 is closest to what I'm looking for.
Quote:
That a lot to read. However it really depends on what you want as an upgrade to your S4. Do you want something similar or completely different..

Mar 6, 2011 at 9:20 AM Post #1,169 of 5,568
Quote:
Hahaha, and I was completely serious about the hole reading thing. I'm on vacation and have literally nothing to do!

I want something similar. My S4 have a V shaped sound but I feel that it sounds muddy, with too much recessed mids. AFAIK, TF10 is one of the worst IEM when it comes to fitting. That is the only problem I found about it so far. And US$180 is a bang for the buck.

I am willing to sacrifice my wallet if W4 is closest to what I'm looking for.

Hi Felipe! A few weeks ago i had the triple.fi, if you said this earlier rs...

Now i have the SM3, if you whant to try it would be a pleasure! And then i could try your DT-770.

The SM3 is way better than triple.fi in almost every way, i belive that you will like it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back