Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Jan 12, 2011 at 2:22 AM Post #316 of 5,568

Quote:
Quote:
I'd like to suggest a song though I don't think that a lot of head-fi members listen to them, my problem is that so far I haven't found the right IEM that gives me the sound I want from this particular band, the TF's are good but I feel as if there isn't enough clarity and seperation between the instruments but at the same time I wouldn't want an IEM that gives way bass impact/quality,

The song is Parkway Drive- Boneyards, or Romance Is Dead.

Thanks =)

My DBA's how I wear them can pump that song out all day.  With bass boost set to 'I' on my Arrow to bring up the kick drums.  No problem.  The W4 can handle it from what I heard of them in its unique way but the ES5 is what I would go to instead.  Others might say JH13/16 for the added bass response.  Though some lowend clarity might be lost in comparison perhaps.

The thing is I can't afford the ES5 lol, and the reason why I won't go for customs well believe it or not once I buy ONE more High-End IEM that's enough for me, I've spent to much money well for a college student, trying to find the perfect IEM for me that is an all rounder and something that is durable, though I've come to terms that I'll have something like the W4 as something I'd use at home and TF10's as something I use to gym etc.

Jan 12, 2011 at 3:49 AM Post #317 of 5,568
For some, its so easy to recommend the ES5 but not all of us are loaded!

If my girlfriend found out I was going to spend £800+ on a pair of IEM she would probably kill me, lol :)

Also, when researching I saw that although the ES5 are priced at $999 in the States, UK prices are £999. What the hell is that all about? Shouldn't the currency conversion mean UK prices should be closer to £640 :s

Jan 12, 2011 at 3:58 AM Post #318 of 5,568
Westone are always overpriced in the UK.

As for ES5 vs W4, I've no inclination to try either but for me the whole concept of customs is virtually anathema.  I don't like the idea of having to faff around getting impressions done, sending them off, waiting for the iems to come back then fretting about the fit.  I've no doubt they do - mostly -  sound better than universal iems, but I sense the upgrade soundwise is not that massive it warrants spending all that cash and energy, only to wind up with something you can't relax and enjoy cos you're scared of losing or breaking them or your ears mutating overnight suddenly.

Quote:

If my girlfriend found out I was going to spend £800+ on a pair of IEM she would probably kill me, lol
smily_headphones1.gif

Also, when researching I saw that although the ES5 are priced at $999 in the States, UK prices are £999. What the hell is that all about? Shouldn't the currency conversion mean UK prices should be closer to £640 :s

Jan 12, 2011 at 4:01 AM Post #319 of 5,568

Quote:

As for ES5 vs W4, I've no inclination to try either but for me the whole concept of customs is virtually anathema.  I don't like the idea of having to faff around getting impressions done, sending them off, waiting for the iems to come back then fretting about the fit.  I've no doubt they do - mostly -  sound better than universal iems, but I sense the upgrade soundwise is not that massive it warrants spending all that cash and energy, only to wind up with something you can't relax and enjoy cos you're scared of losing or breaking them or your ears mutating overnight suddenly.

Quote:

If my girlfriend found out I was going to spend £800+ on a pair of IEM she would probably kill me, lol
smily_headphones1.gif

ahahahahahaah, fair call! makes sense, I realised that over the last 6 months since I first got my first decent IEM's my ear canal has gotten bigger, would suck if i got customs and had to get them remolded every 6 months LOL

Jan 12, 2011 at 5:10 AM Post #320 of 5,568

I have really enjoyed my W3's since getting them over a year ago and think the 4's would be a great upgrade and if the difference between the 4 and ES5 really isn't that big then the money saved could be spent on a great portable amp or even a pair of Cans.

Random question, but when it comes to sound quality, I'd expect the ES5 to be better than the AKG K701's. Though, when it comes to over-all sound and how nice it feels when listening, would a cheaper pair of full sized headphones actually offer me more?

I'm really torn between getting the W4, or just a pair of AKG's. I wouldn't want to spend more on a small improvement.. ahhh, decisions!!!
Quote:

Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 12, 2011 at 6:08 AM Post #321 of 5,568
HPA likes his ES5 more than the T1, LCD2, HD800, etc.  I'm not one to argue after hearing them.  It is now my primary upgrade focus w/ the LCD2 relegated to 2nd or perhaps 3rd.

Jan 12, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #324 of 5,568
I just deleted a number of posts concerning a banned member.

Several of you ought to know better.

We do not publically discuss bans at Head-Fi. They are private matters between the Head-Fi Staff and individual members. People get banned for repeatedly breaking the rules. Warnings are given beforehand.

Please do not start this conversation again. I do not want to have to clean up this thread again.

Jan 12, 2011 at 7:21 PM Post #326 of 5,568
What kind of damage is covered under the Westone 2 year warranty? If I accidentally yank on the cable too hard (or something of that nature) and damage the cable, will they be covered? What if the cables begin untangling (permanently) within the 2 years but otherwise perform flawlessly, is that covered?

Jan 12, 2011 at 8:00 PM Post #327 of 5,568
It sounds more like an insurance thing than warranty. No warranty covers what they technically call misuse. In your case we could call an accident and it would not be covered under warranty but you should ask them anyway. It never hurts to ask.

Jan 12, 2011 at 8:05 PM Post #328 of 5,568
Couldn't resist with the 5% coupon at Earphonesolutions, put my pre-order in now. Super pumped to upgrade from my UM3X's. Now to figure out what amp/dacs have good synergy with these.

Jan 12, 2011 at 8:11 PM Post #329 of 5,568

Quote:
Couldn't resist with the 5% coupon at Earphonesolutions, put my pre-order in now. Super pumped to upgrade from my UM3X's. Now to figure out what amp/dacs have good synergy with these.

Quote:
It sounds more like an insurance thing than warranty. No warranty covers what they technically call misuse. In your case we could call an accident and it would not be covered under warranty but you should ask them anyway. It never hurts to ask.

Quick question...if I pre-order today...do I pay now or when Earphonesolutions ships them out? I've bought my DT880s and SE535s from Earphone/Headphone Solutions and have been very happy with the value and customer service!
smile.gif

Jan 12, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #330 of 5,568
First listen to the Westone 4. Comparing to my UM3X right now. At first a bit disappointed. Changed the eartips from SHORT Comply Tips to PA910-Medium and WOW! It seems Westone was able to introduce Shure's wonderful mids to the fun, musical sound of Westone earphones. AMAZING! These are the quietest earphones I have ever listened to. There is absolute no hissing between pauses while listening to Yo--Yo Ma Suite for Cello No.5 in C Minor and Basil Poledouris Atlantean Sword. Using an iPhone 4. Nothing fancy. The Westone 4 needs approximately 10% more volume than the UM3X. I'd say so far that the most noticeable improvement is in the mids. Vocals are more forward and these start to sound very audiophile-like on some delicate and complex Classical pieces such as Pavane Pour Une Infante Defunte.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back