Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Dec 16, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #122 of 5,568
Sound like we will have some impression by February, nice!

Dec 17, 2010 at 6:53 AM Post #124 of 5,568

Quote:

Coming Soon - First Quarter of 2011!!
Suggested retail price of 449USD
http://www.westone.com/music-products/personal-listening/Westone-4

i feel as though they changed the angle of the "stalks" to the westone 3's, or maybe that's just photography, what'u guys think?

Dec 17, 2010 at 10:06 AM Post #125 of 5,568
That photo is elongated in a vertical direction which is creating a bit of an optical illusion.  You can tell by using the Comply tips as a reference, they're elliptical instead of circular.

Here's an adjusted photo:

Dec 17, 2010 at 4:25 PM Post #126 of 5,568
It's interesting how fast and furiously Westone has been releasing high-end IEMs, whereas in the same timeframe there hasn't been a new high-end IEM from Sennheiser, UE, or Shure (not counting the 535 b/c it doesn't seem to be a brand-new design).  I think it's very impressive and I'm glad to see a relatively small company continually innovating and putting out a flurry of new products at a range of price points and for different types of listeners--W2, W3, UM3x, ES3x, ES5, and now W4.

Dec 17, 2010 at 5:21 PM Post #127 of 5,568
Don't forget the W1 :)

Westone indeed has been making a releasing a bunch of products in the last 2 or so years and W4 should be exciting. I have been impressed with the ones I've heard being the W2 and W3 and both are very good in their own rights so I can only imagine W4 will be very good as well. I'm hoping that the W4 will be an increase in SQ over the current "top tier" universals rather than just something different.

Dec 17, 2010 at 6:59 PM Post #128 of 5,568

Quote:
That photo is elongated in a vertical direction which is creating a bit of an optical illusion.  You can tell by using the Comply tips as a reference, they're elliptical instead of circular.

good catch there (plus photography skills)

Dec 17, 2010 at 8:37 PM Post #129 of 5,568

Quote:
Quote:

good catch there (plus photography skills)

Westone has told us the casing of the Westone 4 is identical to the Westone 3. I personally would prefer a nozzle slightly longer (2mm would do it). Since I use the short ComplyTips, the slightly longer nozzle would provide a better fit for my anatomy. I circumvent that minor problem by pulling the eartips just a tiny bit outwards.

But as is, the UM3X fits me a bit better.

Dec 18, 2010 at 9:04 AM Post #132 of 5,568
Dec 18, 2010 at 12:47 PM Post #134 of 5,568
I have the same problem as yours, the UM3Xs fit me better than the W3s, but the UM2s have the best fit.

Quote:
Westone has told us the casing of the Westone 4 is identical to the Westone 3. I personally would prefer a nozzle slightly longer (2mm would do it). Since I use the short ComplyTips, the slightly longer nozzle would provide a better fit for my anatomy. I circumvent that minor problem by pulling the eartips just a tiny bit outwards.

But as is, the UM3X fits me a bit better.

Dec 18, 2010 at 3:55 PM Post #135 of 5,568

Quote:
I have the same problem as yours, the UM3Xs fit me better than the W3s, but the UM2s have the best fit.

Don't know about the older UM2, but both new versions of UM3X & UM2 (with detachable cables) have exactly the same housings, cables & accessories, there's no difference whatsoever apart from one having completely clear shells (UM2) and the others being half clear and half black (UM3X). I know this because I had both at the same time. I also found both UM3X & UM2 more comfortable, with better ergonomics than the W3.

On the subject of cables, I think it's totally unacceptable that any IEM these days costing over $200, let alone $450, will not come with detachable cables. The Westone cable is probably still the best in the industry - and to me better than the new SE535 cable - but it is not perfect and there's no guarantee it will last more than 2 years, ie Westone's warranty period.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back