Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Jul 5, 2014 at 12:23 PM Post #5,312 of 5,568
  hi guys
long time follower and ex w4 owner.
I liked them so much and thinking to buy a pair of w40.

is there any "negative" difference or is a concrete step forward?

Thank You

I have only seen positive things.  But I've never seen anybody really pit the two against each other.  It looks like it's getting difficult to source new w4r's.  You may not even have an option.

Jul 5, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #5,314 of 5,568
  And what about w4 vs shure 535? i loved the instruments separation of the Westone and the "airness" of the sound.
Would like to find something similar if not bigger in soundstage!

I think you can find quite a few comparisons scattered around head fi for this.  I've owned both.  I still own my w4r's.  I found the 535's kind of boring. But I'm sure that's what a lot of people say about the w4.

Jul 5, 2014 at 2:00 PM Post #5,316 of 5,568
  Thank you Lwells! just out of curiosity, what are you using most just now?
Do you stilluse W4?

I solely use my w4r's.  They are my all time favorite universal IEM.  I started out with Etymotics (really loved the er4 but they were physically painful) and then worked my way up the Shure line.  I spent a good year with just the 535's listening through my headroom micro stack.  They never really did it for me.  I also spend a lot of time with UE super fi 5's (and the EB version) and then TF10's.  I really loved the TF10's.  They are a LOT of fun; very engaging.  

I found a great deal on w4r's about a year ago.  Honestly, I really didn't like them at first.  After about a week they either opened up or I adjusted.  Since then, I no longer enjoy the TF10's or the 535's.  To me, the w4r's  are just in a different league.  

I generally listen to them balanced from my SR71B through either an ODAC or my Schiit Loki.  At a recent meet, I had the pleasure of sampling a universal version of Alclair RSM reference monitors.  I wasn't able to get a really good seal with them, but was still impressed with the sound quality.  This was the first time that anything was able to make my w4rs sound 'muddy'.  I immediately ordered a pair of customs.  This will be my first set of customs.  It sounds like they may be done next week.  I'm excited.

And what about w4 vs shure 535? i loved the instruments separation of the Westone and the "airness" of the sound.
Would like to find something similar if not bigger in soundstage!

If you're interested in widening the sound stage and improving the bass control, I highly recommend the SR71B amp and a balanced cable for your IEMs. This made a rather large improvement with my W4rs.  

Jul 5, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #5,317 of 5,568
Ehhh the problem is always my budget!
my Weston has been eaten (yes eaten
frown.gif
) by my little dog! he found them behind a lot of other things and he has chewed them with great taste!
When i went back home i had a heart attack!
I had resigned myself to not buy more expensive headphones as well, but after about a year I miss them!
So I'm still on the hunt! And considering that Shure 846 are too expensive, i'm looking for W40!

Jul 5, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #5,318 of 5,568
Was it the cables he had chewed through or the drivers as well?  If just the cable it may be possible to either send it to someone like btg-audio for recabling or somewhere like inearz for a reshell and turn them into customs.

Jul 5, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #5,319 of 5,568
  Ehhh the problem is always my budget!
my Weston has been eaten (yes eaten
frown.gif
) by my little dog! he found them behind a lot of other things and he has chewed them with great taste!
When i went back home i had a heart attack!
I had resigned myself to not buy more expensive headphones as well, but after about a year I miss them!
So I'm still on the hunt! And considering that Shure 846 are too expensive, i'm looking for W40!

There are some places to get a good deal on the 846 if you are in the states - not too much beyond the W40... PM me if you want.

Jul 5, 2014 at 11:30 PM Post #5,321 of 5,568
Or, since he wants great soundstage, the V6-Stage universal would be a good option too.

Definitely - if he chooses custom, he can't go wrong there.

Jul 6, 2014 at 6:25 AM Post #5,322 of 5,568
Thank you for the valuable advices guys!

I had already looked for the custom iem but they are really quite expensive and the process (need mold from audiologist, ship it overseas, other costs etc etc) is too "cumbersome", at least for now.
I would be oriented to universal iem: the w40 maybe used, would be perfect, or, but only if the audio quality difference is quite big, i would also be inclined to increase the budget for the se846, better if used. what do you think?
P.S. i'm in Europe

Jul 6, 2014 at 6:37 AM Post #5,323 of 5,568
  Was it the cables he had chewed through or the drivers as well?  If just the cable it may be possible to either send it to someone like btg-audio for recabling or somewhere like inearz for a reshell and turn them into customs.

No my little demon chewed also the driver! I could barely recognize the orange 4 painted on it! The funny/sad thing is that i was so upset and angry that i throw everything i had from Westone in the trash can (my chewed Westone, package, my warranty receipt) everything for the saying "out of sight out of mind"!
But few days ago i've read from users here in head-fi that when their Westone broke up,  out of warranty, Westone itself offered them to upgrade to newer iem model for really good prices!
Ah if only I had kept the lifeless body of my Westone 4 and the receipt!

Jul 6, 2014 at 7:19 AM Post #5,324 of 5,568
  Thank you for the valuable advices guys!

I had already looked for the custom iem but they are really quite expensive and the process (need mold from audiologist, ship it overseas, other costs etc etc) is too "cumbersome", at least for now.
I would be oriented to universal iem: the w40 maybe used, would be perfect, or, but only if the audio quality difference is quite big, i would also be inclined to increase the budget for the se846, better if used. what do you think?
P.S. i'm in Europe

If you want to go all out and get the shure 846 then Thomann.de have the best price on them at the moment in the eu, £789 or bstock (returns) £735.  They also have the w40 in for a reasonableish £345.00

Jul 9, 2014 at 10:17 AM Post #5,325 of 5,568
Westone 4 are my all time favourite IEM's - super durable, 3 years  and still going strong, very nicely balanced sound and comfort. I've owned Shure SE535, Earsonic SM3; Sony MDR-EX1000 . Sony had maybe even better sound, but were pain to wear and rather impractical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back