Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Apr 19, 2014 at 6:28 PM Post #5,281 of 5,568
  Hello,

For W4, which star tips do y'all prefer; the long medium (red) or the medium ( black) ones? I had a problem that after wearing the bulky ATH-IM70 for a while, apparently my ear canals were enlarged which makes the black star tips inserted easily than before...Now I had to switch with the long medium tips on my W4. I notice bigger soundstage and better bass response and less forward midrange; but at some time although the treble is smoother, it could be shrilling.

It is 100% a personal thing.  If treble is sounding shrill you have the wrong tip (too loose a fit).   The supplied ones with no color designation work best for me.  I think they are standard mediums.

Apr 19, 2014 at 6:43 PM Post #5,282 of 5,568
  It is 100% a personal thing.  If treble is sounding shrill you have the wrong tip (too loose a fit).   The supplied ones with no color designation work best for me.  I think they are standard mediums.

I agree, the medium tips provide cleaner sounds without shrill. Thanks!

Apr 24, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #5,283 of 5,568
Does anyone know which of the Fiio daps will benefit with the 4R? I used to have Cowon Z2 but it's long gone.
I dont want to connect an amp with the Fiio, as it will be going directly into my pocket.

Thanks!

Apr 25, 2014 at 1:45 AM Post #5,284 of 5,568
Does anyone know which of the Fiio daps will benefit with the 4R? I used to have Cowon Z2 but it's long gone.
I dont want to connect an amp with the Fiio, as it will be going directly into my pocket.

Thanks!

If you're looking at Fiio DAPs I guess there's only 2 options, either the X3 or the X5. I used to pair W4R with Cowon J3 with EQ settings on and the result is nothing short of sublime. I didn't require an amp for this pairing. I paired the W4R with X3 too. But I find it overly warm for my taste. The W4R is warm by nature. The X3 is also warm by nature. Hence the pairing gave me an "overly warm" sound signature which isn't to my liking. If you prefer a warm sound signature then X3 would be the direction to go. The X3 is really valuable for money though. However I do prefer pairing the W4R with DX50. If your decision lies with Fiio DAP, probably the X5 will be a better bet. I have no experience with the X5 though. But probably it wouldn't be as warm as the X3. :)

May 2, 2014 at 6:38 AM Post #5,285 of 5,568

Thanks!

Neither. :) The Fiios tend to be a tiny bit warm, but the DX50/DX90 are not. If you get a DX50, the SQ will be good. If you add an amp, the SQ will be excellent. But if you go for the DX90, add no amp, and pair it with the W4R, you will be blown away. For me, adding a good amp to the DX90 did nothing when paired with the 4R, if anything it spoilt things.

One caveat though for the DX90, allow 13 days for delivery. 3 days from the courier, and then 10 days burn-in (with the supplied burn in device) before you listen to it.

May 2, 2014 at 7:07 AM Post #5,286 of 5,568
No problems here with Fiio E17, even though I don't use them anymore because after extensive ABX tests I found no difference with W4R amped and straight from source. Used as a "piece of mind" DAC when listening from my MacBook, via optical cable, but since I seldom do that anymore, for me it is directly from source (phone or DAP) to W4R.

May 2, 2014 at 9:15 AM Post #5,287 of 5,568

Neither. :) The Fiios tend to be a tiny bit warm, but the DX50/DX90 are not. If you get a DX50, the SQ will be good. If you add an amp, the SQ will be excellent. But if you go for the DX90, add no amp, and pair it with the W4R, you will be blown away. For me, adding a good amp to the DX90 did nothing when paired with the 4R, if anything it spoilt things.

One caveat though for the DX90, allow 13 days for delivery. 3 days from the courier, and then 10 days burn-in (with the supplied burn in device) before you listen to it.

One question about the DX brothers: I've read somewhere that they tend to enhance bass quantity, which would be a no-no for me with W40. Is that truly the case? 

May 2, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #5,288 of 5,568
One question about the DX brothers: I've read somewhere that they tend to enhance bass quantity, which would be a no-no for me with W40. Is that truly the case? 

I paired the W4R with both X3 and DX50 before. The X3 enhances the bass quantity mainly the mid bass which isn't to my liking. The DX50 pairs much better with 4R. Bass quantity remained the same. X3 with 4R is too warm for me.

May 2, 2014 at 11:36 AM Post #5,289 of 5,568
Thanks! That clarifies things a lot. I'm also not a fan of too much warmth. Seems DX90 would be the DAP to have then. 

May 2, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #5,290 of 5,568
Hello all,

My beloved W4R's were unfortunately stolen from a bar in the Sydney CBD a few weeks ago. I have the serial number of the box but am trying to work out if there is anyway to track these.

Can someone with a pair of W4R's confirm if they have serial numbers on them?

May 2, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #5,292 of 5,568
Hello all,

My beloved W4R's were unfortunately stolen from a bar in the Sydney CBD a few weeks ago. I have the serial number of the box but am trying to work out if there is anyway to track these.

Can someone with a pair of W4R's confirm if they have serial numbers on them?

So sorry to hear that mate,
Mine doesn't :-/ how does it happened ?

over the past 2 years, I've seen 2 times people with W4R in Sydney area, one in Strathfield and one in my office :)

May 3, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #5,294 of 5,568
No they do not have serial number on them.

Thanks, that's what I thought...

So sorry to hear that mate,
Mine doesn't :-/ how does it happened ?

over the past 2 years, I've seen 2 times people with W4R in Sydney area, one in Strathfield and one in my office :)

My own stupid fault...set them down on a table by the bar (Uncle Mings on York St) and someone snatched them before I knew they were gone

May 24, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #5,295 of 5,568
I have been searching for quite a while now. Does anyone know of an IEM with better bang for buck than the Westone 4R, just so you know. This will be my first entry level IEM to BAs.

I read earlier on in the thread someone preferred the 4R to the JH13 o.O.
Seems to me around this price range is where the law of diminishing returns really kicks in and although there is no sonic improvement it is just a matter of preference to different sound signatures, am I right in thinking this?

Other than the 4R, what other IEMs would you recommend bearing in mind my headphone inventory (sub 50)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back