Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Nov 22, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #5,401 of 5,568
  Sigh....again I think you have your Westone IEM's mixed up.  W3 was the best ever at its time of release.  No one ever sold it because it was the best, period.  The closest competitor was the TF10 but due to fit issues and a cloudy midrange the W3 tore the TF10 a new as*hol*. No contest.  If anything, people started to sell it when W4 came out simply to help fund trying the "next new IEM" not because it was a better IEM. 

I have TF10 , W3 and W4. W3 has big fat bass ,mid bass which bleeds into mids and puts a veil on mids (same like IE8), treble in crisp and can sometimes be sibilant.Its fun sounding yes.
TF10 bass goes deep , it doesnt have as big mid bass as W3 , but its faster, treble is crisp but not sibilant.Worst design ever , very hard to stay inear.
W4 has controlled bass, it doesnt have big bass like W3 or TF10 but does not lack in quality, its most neutral among the three.Only drawback is top end its too smooth does not have sparkle.

Nov 23, 2014 at 2:31 AM Post #5,402 of 5,568

W4 has controlled bass, it doesnt have big bass like W3 or TF10 but does not lack in quality, its most neutral among the three.Only drawback is top end its too smooth does not have sparkle.

Agree.
In my house we call it 'rolled-off'.
The rest of the spectrum is so good... it's mostly forgiven. 
wink_face.gif

Dec 14, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #5,403 of 5,568
Hey guys,
Couldn't find a w4r thread, so I'm just gonna ask my question here.
I'm loving every aspect of my w4r except the soundstage.
Any replacement wires that anybody know/heard of will solve that problem?

Dec 14, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #5,404 of 5,568
It would help if you told us what you did not like about the soundstage.  If it is the general size, from an IEM standpoint I would say W4 is not the best but much better than average, especially considering the midrange is somewhat forward.  I will go as far as saying you may not be able to do much better unless you went to a headphone.

Dec 14, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #5,405 of 5,568
  It would help if you told us what you did not like about the soundstage.  If it is the general size, from an IEM standpoint I would say W4 is not the best but much better than average, especially considering the midrange is somewhat forward.  I will go as far as saying you may not be able to do much better unless you went to a headphone.

Hmm. Midranges are very forward haha. 
Well I was doing an AB with re600. I'd say w4r win in most besides the soundstage. It's a lot wider and more natural seeming. But that's just to my ears. 

Dec 15, 2014 at 1:54 PM Post #5,407 of 5,568
After nearly a year with my Westone 4r, I am a very happy camper. I have used these almost every day, mostly when riding the subway and walking around town, with the headphones in and out of my pockets multiple times every day.

The cable is as good as the day I bought it. No fraying or signs of stress.

I have gone through only 3 sets of foam inserts, these things last forever compared to the Comply foam tips I used to use with my previous IEMs - but this may be due to the fit of the Westones and not the durability of the Comply foam tips. I had asked about the authenticity of a bulk bag of Westone ear foams a while back - good thing I never purchased them, that would have been the equivalent of a 300 years' supply at this rate!

Dec 15, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #5,408 of 5,568
  After nearly a year with my Westone 4r, I am a very happy camper. I have used these almost every day, mostly when riding the subway and walking around town, with the headphones in and out of my pockets multiple times every day.

The cable is as good as the day I bought it. No fraying or signs of stress.

I have gone through only 3 sets of foam inserts, these things last forever compared to the Comply foam tips I used to use with my previous IEMs - but this may be due to the fit of the Westones and not the durability of the Comply foam tips. I had asked about the authenticity of a bulk bag of Westone ear foams a while back - good thing I never purchased them, that would have been the equivalent of a 300 years' supply at this rate!

Do you mean the westone's foam? Heck yeah, I prefer those to the star tips. Oh my goodness, so comfortable yet highly isolating.  The star tips (medium, I use) strain my ears quickly. It sounds very balanced with the westone foam IMO; with the star tips, the upper treble is glaring.

Dec 15, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #5,409 of 5,568
  Do you mean the westone's foam? Heck yeah, I prefer those to the star tips. Oh my goodness, so comfortable yet highly isolating.  The star tips (medium, I use) strain my ears quickly. It sounds very balanced with the westone foam IMO; with the star tips, the upper treble is glaring.

Yes, Westone's foam. I used to have to replace the Comply foams I used with my UE IEM every 3-4 weeks. Not a fan of the star tips, but that's just a personal preference, I don't care for non-foam (like silicone) tips in general.

Dec 21, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #5,410 of 5,568
I love the smoothness, clarity, and warmth of these IEM's. I've never had a pair so dependent on the seal from the tips though. I preferred blue Star tips with my TDK BA200's, but they were terrible with the W4's. I found the Got Ears long triple flange to be excellent.

I'm guessing many of the negative comments have to do with not finding a good seal. Regardless, I love these and don't see any need for anything else in terms of IEM's.

Dec 22, 2014 at 12:07 AM Post #5,411 of 5,568
I love the smoothness, clarity, and warmth of these IEM's. I've never had a pair so dependent on the seal from the tips though. I preferred blue Star tips with my TDK BA200's, but they were terrible with the W4's. I found the Got Ears long triple flange to be excellent.

I'm guessing many of the negative comments have to do with not finding a good seal. Regardless, I love these and don't see any need for anything else in terms of IEM's.

This.

One of the reasons I had a pair re-shelled (that and with a used pair I paid less than a new W4R) The custom version brought the up the bass and rectified any shortcomings I had with the universal version. It is a smooth and accurate sound that is the same every time. I compared it to my Heir 4A, also a 4BA custom and was surprised that the W4R exceeded it performance pretty handily. Jazz, acoustic and classical sound wonderful through them. 

Jan 4, 2015 at 6:37 PM Post #5,412 of 5,568
Hey Guys! this is my first post i been watching and enjoying for a while now.
I have had the Westone 4R for couple years now and by looking around i found a couple tweaks that transform this IEM dramatically into a amazing beast

i found this link
http://rinchoi.blogspot.com/2012/11/westone-4.html

so i wanted to take a shot at flattening out the frequency response with the resistor adapter and the phonak tips
the result is simply amazing. i do audio engineering and with these tweaks the 4R can easily do the same task as a studio monitor
the biggest improvement was the phonak audeo stock black silicon medium tips .
i was using the westone star tip medium size before and the length of the tip was generating that mid bass hump as well as resonance at the 10khz peak
switching to the phonal audeo tip was the difference of night and day i can tell you the mid hump is gone the highs are linear with added resistor
here are the link for the tip in case you wanna cheap way to trick out your westone 4r
http://www.earphonesolutions.com/audeo-silicone-tips.html?mode=grid
and here is the resistor adapter
http://www.ebay.com/itm/291329605627?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
i also got the Topping NX1 amp i am using to go with it and i am loving the combination the improvement is huge
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Topping-NX1-Earphone-Headphone-Portable-Amplifier-3-5mm-USB-Rechargeable-US-Ship-/181333792732?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a385617dc

Jan 21, 2015 at 10:33 PM Post #5,413 of 5,568
im putting on car competition subwoofer tracks and half volume on the subpac with the westones with the phonak tips and 100ohm adapter it is concert volume but silent on the outside its insane the bass is tighter and more accurate than any sub, makes music 3d . it makes the shure se846 seem like a fisherprice toddler toy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back