Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Nov 19, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #5,387 of 5,568

Please STOP!!  You are giving errant information.  W30 is very different than W3.  Mids are pushed much more forward.  They are not recessed at all with W30.

Daniel4IEM:   I prefer W30 over W40 because it is livelier/brighter sounding.  W40 is more lush but also darker.  Darker can come across as boring or lifeless on certain music.

Interesting. Did you do a side by side comparison with the W3 and W30? Is there any information from Westone that the W30 is tuned differently and/or is utilizing different drivers?

Nov 19, 2014 at 8:37 PM Post #5,388 of 5,568

Interesting. Did you do a side by side comparison with the W3 and W30? Is there any information from Westone that the W30 is tuned differently and/or is utilizing different drivers?

Yes, it's been posted several times.  All 3 completely different drivers, different tuning and, of course, different housing.   See the following which was posted 6 months ago in the W30 thread.  Karl Cartwright is THE chief design engineer at Westone.

"It's much more accurate. Karl Cartwright on a phone interview with Flavio described his objective with the W30 (which is a clean sheet project) which was to distance its sound from the label it got of being a "fun sounding" earphone and being more accurate and precise => most likely a slightly weaker bass in exchange for more accuracy is what we perceived.
So take what a negative the word "fun" could have and walk towards accuracy is what changed from W3 to W30. That was accomplished with tweaks in the crossover as well as new drivers plus shell placement."

Nov 19, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #5,389 of 5,568

No side by side comparisons, but I've owned the W3 long enough to know it have a V shaved signature and the W30 is basically balanced.

Nov 20, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #5,391 of 5,568
Got this reply from Westone
"Compared to the old W3 the new W30's sound signature is a little more neutral. And the W40 compared to the old W4 will be a little brighter."

Little is a understatement, imo it's 2 different signature.
With the w3 being v shaped and the w30 more balanced.

Nov 20, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #5,392 of 5,568
  Yes, it's been posted several times.  All 3 completely different drivers, different tuning and, of course, different housing.   See the following which was posted 6 months ago in the W30 thread.  Karl Cartwright is THE chief design engineer at Westone.

"It's much more accurate. Karl Cartwright on a phone interview with Flavio described his objective with the W30 (which is a clean sheet project) which was to distance its sound from the label it got of being a "fun sounding" earphone and being more accurate and precise => most likely a slightly weaker bass in exchange for more accuracy is what we perceived.
So take what a negative the word "fun" could have and walk towards accuracy is what changed from W3 to W30. That was accomplished with tweaks in the crossover as well as new drivers plus shell placement."

No direct side by side comparisons so far. Differences are based on memory. If they were so concerned about the stigma of the W3, why isn't their PR machine working in overdrive? It's as if they think the W30 will just sell itself. Did they outsource or shut down their marketing department?

No side by side comparisons, but I've owned the W3 long enough to know it have a V shaved signature and the W30 is basically balanced.

Even though I prefer a direct comparison, I find your observations to be credible and it makes me want to try them.

Got this reply from Westone
"Compared to the old W3 the new W30's sound signature is a little more neutral. And the W40 compared to the old W4 will be a little brighter."

I read a similar description a while back but now I'm not so convinced. Westone might be understating the differences between the W3 and W30.

Nov 20, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #5,393 of 5,568
Rip N Burn:   "Stigma of W3"  ??    ROTFLMAO!     I will excuse your ignorance due to being a newbie I guess or not knowing the Westone lineup.

Back in 2007 the W3 was a landmark release IEM.  The first ever triple crossover and it blew away everything in its class.  The first big bass IEM that also had crisp clarity and a huge soundstage.  That did NOT exist in a universal IEM before that release.   I guess I am saying it is no slouch IEM even to this day.  Side by side comparison?  Why?   We know it's characteristic and what it sounds like after not 100's but 1,000's of reviews.  Fast forward 7 more years and there have been many advances.  W30 takes advantage of those and incorporates the best traits of UM3X and W3 into a whole new IEM.

I find it hilarious that you are still not convinced even after Karl Cartwright"s confirmation of the changes as well as everyone elses that has owned it...confirming those very changes as well.   This is living proof you just don't like Westone.

I listened to the W3 for about 36 months total so I am quite familiar with the sound sig.  No side by side comparison needed.

.........still laughing......

Nov 20, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #5,394 of 5,568
  Rip N Burn:   "Stigma of W3"  ??    ROTFLMAO!     I will excuse your ignorance due to being a newbie I guess or not knowing the Westone lineup.

Back in 2007 the W3 was a landmark release IEM.  The first ever triple crossover and it blew away everything in its class.  The first big bass IEM that also had crisp clarity and a huge soundstage.  That did NOT exist in a universal IEM before that release.   I guess I am saying it is no slouch IEM even to this day.  Side by side comparison?  Why?   We know it's characteristic and what it sounds like after not 100's but 1,000's of reviews.  Fast forward 7 more years and there have been many advances.  W30 takes advantage of those and incorporates the best traits of UM3X and W3 into a whole new IEM.

I find it hilarious that you are still not convinced even after Karl Cartwright"s confirmation of the changes as well as everyone elses that has owned it...confirming those very changes as well.   This is living proof you just don't like Westone.

I listened to the W3 for about 36 months total so I am quite familiar with the sound sig.  No side by side comparison needed.

.........still laughing......

Indeed. Its reputation was tarnished with the large mid-bass hump, recessed mids, and sibilance. In fact, I purchased them shortly after they were released, so I personally know all about the negative aspects. I even recall a large number of them popping up in the for sale forums during the first year of it becoming readily available.

I'm even aware of your flip-flopping about which Westone iem you liked best between the W3 and W4. That was very amusing. One day the W3 was the clear winner and on another day it was the W4. Over the years I've grown accustom to your hyperbole and admiration for the W3 but to say that I don't like Westone based on anecdotal evidence is erroneous. I've owned the W3, UM2, UM3X, W2, and still have the W4R which in my opinion, is an awesome iem.

On a more positive note, at least laughter is good for the soul
biggrin.gif

Nov 21, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #5,399 of 5,568

Indeed. Its reputation was tarnished with the large mid-bass hump, recessed mids, and sibilance. In fact, I purchased them shortly after they were released, so I personally know all about the negative aspects. I even recall a large number of them popping up in the for sale forums during the first year of it becoming readily available.

Sigh....again I think you have your Westone IEM's mixed up.  W3 was the best ever at its time of release.  No one ever sold it because it was the best, period.  The closest competitor was the TF10 but due to fit issues and a cloudy midrange the W3 tore the TF10 a new as*hol*. No contest.  If anything, people started to sell it when W4 came out simply to help fund trying the "next new IEM" not because it was a better IEM. 

W4 was a great change towards neutrality but the miserably cloudy lower midrange and weak bass made for boring listening experiences.  W40 helped to clear this up.  Then W30 added more clarity and crispness and remains the best Westone IEM under $400.  I haven't waivered on that since it came out.

Nov 22, 2014 at 3:56 AM Post #5,400 of 5,568
  Sigh....again I think you have your Westone IEM's mixed up.  W3 was the best ever at its time of release.  No one ever sold it because it was the best, period.  The closest competitor was the TF10 but due to fit issues and a cloudy midrange the W3 tore the TF10 a new as*hol*. No contest.  If anything, people started to sell it when W4 came out simply to help fund trying the "next new IEM" not because it was a better IEM. 

W4 was a great change towards neutrality but the miserably cloudy lower midrange and weak bass made for boring listening experiences.  W40 helped to clear this up.  Then W30 added more clarity and crispness and remains the best Westone IEM under $400.  I haven't waivered on that since it came out.

I gotta say that I do remember the constant 'bass hump' comments on the forums at the time.  Also one of the reasons the tf10 suddenly became a huge hit was partly because of the $99 amazon black friday sales.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back