Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Oct 10, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #3,331 of 5,568
Quote:
How is that even possible ? Westone ES5x got 5 drivers and Westone 4 is "just"  Four balanced armature drivers and a three-way crossover network ?

Why would that matter? The PFE232s are dual drivers, and they beat out the W4s in a lot of ways in terms of technical proficiency. Number of drivers mean squat, the tuning (bores, crossovers) and the specific types of drivers themselves that would be more meaningful.

Oct 10, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #3,332 of 5,568
Driver number has nothing to do with SQ.
For instance. The togo 111 is merely 1 driver and the togo 334 is 4 driver. But they are more different in sound signature than sound quality over all. Actually, they are comparable, just different flavor if you will.

Oct 10, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #3,333 of 5,568
Quote:
Why would that matter? The PFE232s are dual drivers, and they beat out the W4s in a lot of ways in terms of technical proficiency. Number of drivers mean squat, the tuning (bores, crossovers) and the specific types of drivers themselves that would be more meaningful.

Quote:
Driver number has nothing to do with SQ.
For instance. The togo 111 is merely 1 driver and the togo 334 is 4 driver. But they are more different in sound signature than sound quality over all. Actually, they are comparable, just different flavor if you will.

Thanks for the response back guys, now I must admit that yes, my experience in this audio world is rather limited.

my comparison and earphone that I have tried so far:

1. Razer Moray In-Ear Noise Isolating Gaming Headphones
2. Logitech Ultimate ears UE600 single armature ?
3. Logitech Ultimate ears UE700 dual armature
4. Westone W4 - 4 Balance armature with 3-way crossover --> this is by far is the best sounding due to the number of driver.

so yes now I have just aware that there are earphone that some people says here got better Sound Quality with lesser driver / armature.

Oct 11, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #3,334 of 5,568
Actually. Your statement is kinda true in its own way. Multi-driver crossover system is invented to overcome one of the shortages of BA drivers which is the narrower frequency response (as compare to a dynamic driver). It let's each driver focus on a certain range of frequency. Therefore, it is easier for the sound engineer to adjust the over-all frequency balance of the monitor. I hope that helps.

Oct 11, 2012 at 12:13 AM Post #3,335 of 5,568
Quote:
Actually. Your statement is kinda true in its own way. Multi-driver crossover system is invented to overcome one of the shortages of BA drivers which is the narrower frequency response (as compare to a dynamic driver). It let's each driver focus on a certain range of frequency. Therefore, it is easier for the sound engineer to adjust the over-all frequency balance of the monitor. I hope that helps.

Many thanks for the explanation czqdtc so in the next year when I'm ready to buy new IEMs, I should also consider the crossover and also bores ?
not just the number of drivers ?

Oct 11, 2012 at 12:25 AM Post #3,336 of 5,568
Quote:
Many thanks for the explanation czqdtc so in the next year when I'm ready to buy new IEMs, I should also consider the crossover and also bores ?
not just the number of drivers ?

Don't just base your purchases over things like this, base it on how they sound, how they might look in terms of everyday usability (comfort, build, etc). Someone can come out with a sixteen-driver, 15-way, with unobtainium cables, and they can still manage to crap up the sound despite the specs. Getting hung over by fancy marketing statements and "innovative" technology is one of the great money siphons of the audio industry. Not to discourage innovation, but audio companies just tend to be better at flowery prose. 

Oct 11, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #3,337 of 5,568
Headphone is just like music u listen to. It's an art form. Sound engineer work hard to achieve what they think sound the most realistic and artistic (hard to achieve both). I suggest u to first get used to the sound signature of each manufacturer and pick your favorite one( say the Westone house sound), then compare horizontally of their products in different price range and come to a sweet spot where u pull the trigger.

Oct 11, 2012 at 1:04 AM Post #3,338 of 5,568
many thanks people for the explanation, so far I based my upgrade purchase blindly just by reading the number of stars in Amazon such as this one (http://www.amazon.com/Westone-WST-WESTONE4-W4/dp/B004M4RTUY/ref=sr_1_1) and this forum as well http://www.head-fi.org/products/westone-4-true-fit-earphones

but I'm glad at least as I listen more of my CD collections using my Westone W4 + Fiio E11 amp (http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-e11) I can note the difference in 2 armature against my previous UE700.

Oct 11, 2012 at 1:20 AM Post #3,339 of 5,568
many thanks people for the explanation, so far I based my upgrade purchase blindly just by reading the number of stars in Amazon such as this one (http://www.amazon.com/Westone-WST-WESTONE4-W4/dp/B004M4RTUY/ref=sr_1_1) and this forum as well http://www.head-fi.org/products/westone-4-true-fit-earphones
ir

but I'm glad at least as I listen more of my CD collections using my Westone W4 + Fiio E11 amp (http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-e11) I can note the difference in 2 armature against my previous UE700.

I would say u are very lucky that u bought sth that is legendary sounding. U won't actually find any direct upgrades to westone 4 IMO, they are very special. The ES5, which is the flagship custom of westone, provides more of a brighter sound with a bit more forward mids and bass texture. I would recommend you to upgrade ur source and amp before any earphone upgrade if u like the sound signature( laid-back, bit warmth, balanced). I have 3 1000+ IEMs but I still listen to the W4 most of the time as they never produce fatigue which is a key key thing for IEM

Oct 11, 2012 at 1:25 AM Post #3,340 of 5,568
Quote:
I would say u are very lucky that u bought sth that is legendary sounding. U won't actually find any direct upgrades to westone 4 IMO, they are very special. The ES5, which is the flagship custom of westone, provides more of a brighter sound with a bit more forward mids and bass texture. I would recommend you to upgrade ur source and amp before any earphone upgrade if u like the sound signature( laid-back, bit warmth, balanced). I have 3 1000+ IEMs but I still listen to the W4 most of the time as they never produce fatigue which is a key key thing for IEM

Any thoughts on the W4s and TG334s? Comparisons are pretty sparse between the two, so if you could chime in, it'd be much appreciated. 

Oct 11, 2012 at 1:47 AM Post #3,341 of 5,568
Quote:

Wow, once again I was amazed by the experts in this forum (you too mate
gs1000.gif
 ) $450 Westone W4 is my favourite IEM so far and I am using it everyday in the office and during the commute.
yes, so far my audio sources are as follows:
1. Normal Audio CD but some is HDCD and I'm looking around for SACD to be played in my laptop
2. MP3 320 KBps and FLAC
3. Fiio E11 with Fiio L9 (LOD cable)

I will consider to get DAC next year within $400 - 500 to enhance the sound from my iPhone, Laptop and PC. 

Oct 15, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #3,342 of 5,568
Quote:

While I agree with your statement, that "number of drivers mean squat", I'd think that the PFE232 and W4 are actually on about the same level of technical proficiency, albeit tuned to different sound signatures.

Just out of curiosity, in which ways do the PFE232 beat the W4 in your opinion?

Oct 16, 2012 at 2:52 AM Post #3,343 of 5,568
Quote:

While I agree with your statement, that "number of drivers mean squat", I'd think that the PFE232 and W4 are actually on about the same level of technical proficiency, albeit tuned to different sound signatures.

Just out of curiosity, in which ways do the PFE232 beat the W4 in your opinion?

They are pretty much the same level, both have advantages over the other, that was my point, sorry. Nothing major that'd would warrant me replacing the W4s with the Phonaks. Just a tad more treble refinement, and a cleaner and clearer lower midrange. One thing that the W4s would beat the PFE232 on is the more natural soundstage and presentation. While not as good as the EX600/1000 (could never get a proper fit with those, almost like the TF10s), they have more natural note presentation and spacing between instruments. 

Oct 16, 2012 at 3:46 AM Post #3,344 of 5,568
I don't really know that the whole number of drivers thing means "squat" is completely true... I think it is impossible by the laws of physics that one single driver trying to make all the different vibrations necessary to reproduce the full frequency range of human hearing could sound better than 3 or 4 drivers tuned by crossovers to only have to reproduce a limited range each. One of the reasons why the W4 excells in being able to hear words and details you thought you couldn't hear before.

Just my 2c. but I do agree that just because an iem has a lot of drivers it is going to always sound "good". More factors are involved than number of drivers (which is what you are really saying anyway I think) however properly utilized multiple drivers can produce a superior sound than a single or double.

Oct 16, 2012 at 4:14 AM Post #3,345 of 5,568
Quote:
Just my 2c. but I do agree that just because an iem has a lot of drivers it is going to always sound "good". More factors are involved than number of drivers (which is what you are really saying anyway I think) however properly utilized multiple drivers can produce a superior sound than a single or double.

Definitely! Now if only more companies can start improving on this aspect! I'm delighted to think what Phonak would do with a quad driver...I'd also shudder at the would-be price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back