Westone 4 = Disappointment
Oct 23, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #181 of 265

Quote:
Give them more time and they may grow on you. There were plenty of headphones I didn't like at first, but ended up loving. Just listen carefully and make sure you don't keep telling yourself at the back of your mind that these are bad and you don't like them - such an attitude will most certainly prevent you from hearing the headphones properly. You need to be positive - try to convince yourself that these are good headphones, but you just aren't used to the sound signature and can get used to it over time. Something like that.

This shouldn't have to be done. It just goes to prove what most people do to expensive audio gear they buy, to justify the ridiculous amount of money they just spent...

Oct 23, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #182 of 265
Agreed. I see no point in bending over backwards just to convince oneself something sounds better than their own ears perceive it to. Plain and simple, let your ears be the judge. If it sounds good, then it sounds good. No 2 listeners perceive the exact same sound, per se. Not saying Pianist implied this of course, but generally speaking. I hate to sound redundant, but the one word to always keep in mind: preference. After all, that's what it almost always comes down to.

Needless to say, our friend Pianist is absolutely right in that one should allow oneself time to become accustomed to the intended overall signature. I personally find that it helps to avoid re-reading any in-depth reviews/impressions, at least until allowing oneself time to form their own impressions, for obvious reasons. Else, in my opinion, it's quite easy at times to cloud ones own judgement based off of another listeners impressions. I personally find it best to dedicate much of my listening exclusively to whichever in-ear(s) I've newly purchased, at least for a few days time, and really come to understand the overall intended sound signature and presentation. Else, it's far too easy to begin to criticize a sound that's different from one the listener has already come to prefer. Just my 2 cents. 
smile.gif

Oct 24, 2011 at 3:47 AM Post #183 of 265
don't know about the W4 being tubbier. I find the W4 a lot more comfortable than the UM3x. i have a weird ear anatomy and the W4 is ALOT smaller than the UM3X, no matter which tip you choose from stock. it's however, growing on me. But I still find the UM3x a lot more controlled than the W4. Maybe it needs a few more hours. 

Oct 24, 2011 at 8:21 AM Post #184 of 265
To me, the bass on the W4 is sooo much more controlled than that on the UM3X.

Quote:
don't know about the W4 being tubbier. I find the W4 a lot more comfortable than the UM3x. i have a weird ear anatomy and the W4 is ALOT smaller than the UM3X, no matter which tip you choose from stock. it's however, growing on me. But I still find the UM3x a lot more controlled than the W4. Maybe it needs a few more hours. 

Oct 24, 2011 at 12:28 PM Post #186 of 265

Yeah, the W4's bass is way better in terms of control and finesse compared to the UM3X - but the UM3X has slightly more forward mids to my ears, and sounds a bit cleaner, which is great for female vocals imho. Both are fantastic, and I'm glad to have em in my arsenal.

Quote:
To me, the bass on the W4 is sooo much more controlled than that on the UM3X. 

Aug 16, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #187 of 265
This is an old post but I'm a new member.
wink_face.gif
  I've been abusing the knowledge of this forum for a couple of months now trying to decide on which new set of IEM's I should go with (coming from Ety ER-6i).  After a brief stint with the UE TF10's I decided on the Westone 4R's.  The TF10's were just too scooped for my liking; needed the mids to have more ooomph, and the highs tended towards thin/shrill/sibilant depending on material.  While I appreciated the TF10's low end extension I missed the Ety's focused mids.  The WR4's have been well reviewed so I took a chance...

...and had that initial sinking feeling of disappointment as well.  Which is why this thread struck a chord with me.  Highs were wooly, mids were congested, and lows were indistinct.  Fortunately I experimented with the other included tips after starting with the tri-flanges.  Quite amazing the difference tips can make!  I have no appreciation for foam tips and the Comply's didn't work well at all.  But the white "bullet" and grey "button" silicons were much better (settled on the large button).  The sound was greatly improved and I thoroughly enjoyed working my way through samples including Holly Cole, Diana Krall, Dave Brubeck through Fink to Dream Theater among others.  The sound was crisp and clear with better focused mids and overall balance.  Much preferred compared to the TF10's, and really enjoyed the more extended bass and smoother highs compared to the Ety's.

Not wanting this to be a review, but rather just reinforcing the notion of how important a role tips can play in sound quality.  Coming from the Ety's I was used to the tri-flange and enjoy the isolation but for my ears and these IEM's they just don't work.

Sep 3, 2012 at 11:30 AM Post #188 of 265
Yes, same thing happened to me today when I received my Westone W4, I was quite shocked to hear that with the default grey buds, my newly acquired W4 sounds bit darker or murkier than my UE 700 ?

I thought that with the same file and source (iPhone 4S + Fiio L9 + Fiio E11 + DENON Music app) 4 BA should sounds way more clearer and better ? but then I was wrong ?

is there anything that can explain why is this so ?

Quote:
This is an old post but I'm a new member.
wink_face.gif
  I've been abusing the knowledge of this forum for a couple of months now trying to decide on which new set of IEM's I should go with (coming from Ety ER-6i).  After a brief stint with the UE TF10's I decided on the Westone 4R's.  The TF10's were just too scooped for my liking; needed the mids to have more ooomph, and the highs tended towards thin/shrill/sibilant depending on material.  While I appreciated the TF10's low end extension I missed the Ety's focused mids.  The WR4's have been well reviewed so I took a chance...

...and had that initial sinking feeling of disappointment as well.  Which is why this thread struck a chord with me.  Highs were wooly, mids were congested, and lows were indistinct.  Fortunately I experimented with the other included tips after starting with the tri-flanges.  Quite amazing the difference tips can make!  I have no appreciation for foam tips and the Comply's didn't work well at all.  But the white "bullet" and grey "button" silicons were much better (settled on the large button).  The sound was greatly improved and I thoroughly enjoyed working my way through samples including Holly Cole, Diana Krall, Dave Brubeck through Fink to Dream Theater among others.  The sound was crisp and clear with better focused mids and overall balance.  Much preferred compared to the TF10's, and really enjoyed the more extended bass and smoother highs compared to the Ety's.

Not wanting this to be a review, but rather just reinforcing the notion of how important a role tips can play in sound quality.  Coming from the Ety's I was used to the tri-flange and enjoy the isolation but for my ears and these IEM's they just don't work.

Sep 4, 2012 at 1:06 AM Post #189 of 265
Quote:
Alright, so I got these today.

I admire the packaging, that's for sure. The tip choice is even more diverse then what Monster gives you with the Pro Gold. Plenty of tips, sizes, and types to satisfy any listener. I tried the oval grey tips and found those to be a perfect fit. Speaking of fit, these are really quite nice! I've never liked over the ear style IEMs, but these really alter my current line of thinking toward them. Very comfortable, fits great, and isolates surprisingly well. Gotta love that braided cable. No complaints about packaging, accessories, comfort, isolation, or design.

But now, my biggest complaint. The sound.

Popped 'em in my ears and hit play. What? This is it? Never heard more than two drivers per ear, but this is just disappointing. Somewhere in the treble is too hot, not sure where. But it's just a small little breach in the treble that is bugging me and causing fatigue. The sound as a whole just sounds sorta thin and is actually quite boring. Vocals don't even sound very natural. There really is just nothing that stood out as impressive to me, except possibly the separation provided by the four drivers. But then again, nothing to write home about.

Okay, so I take 'em out and try out my beloved FXC51 (heavily EQ'ed might I add). Holy crap! Now this is good sound! Vocals sounded MUCH more realistic, as did pretty much every aspect of the sound. Each part of the sound had better texture and weight, and nothing in the sound bored me. Just more excellent all around. No fatigue either. I'll have to test them a bit more against the W4, but I'll I'm hearing is pure superiority. Makes me wonder why I paid $365 for them and only $25 for the FXC51. I guess you know which one I'll be keeping...

Well, hopefully the PFE and GR07 fair better...

What sort of music do you listen ?

and what is your source device ?

Please share it with us here. I found out that Westone W4 is best for live performance and Symphonic orchestral music type.

Oct 7, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #190 of 265
Quote:
Yeah, maybe some time and you might adapt to it, but if it doesn't work then it doesn't work. Don't lie to yourself just because it has 4 drivers and people are saying they are loving it. I should have tried the W4 a bit longer so i can have input in it but I didn't so I prefer not to judge the sound since its unfair. The reason why I chose  the um3x over the W4 was mainly due the quality of sound really matched the music I was listening to. So they were the first IEMs that I tested and kinda got me out of my chair. All I can say about W4 are they are neutral period. This might be good in the long run since high end customs are all neutral aimed for the long run rather than coloured sounds. So all depends on your preferences, but do try the Um3x, it might change your view in what you want.

Yes, comparing Westone UM3X with W4 doesn't sounds fair tome ? since one got 3 BA and the other got 4 BA respectively ?

Oct 7, 2012 at 12:45 AM Post #191 of 265
Quote:

Yes, comparing Westone UM3X with W4 doesn't sounds fair tome ? since one got 3 BA and the other got 4 BA respectively ?

So I shouldn't compare the W4 to the Phonak PFE232 because the Phonak has 2 drivers?  I actually disagree with this statement myself, nothing against you.  I don't see driver count dictating end sound quality result.  You'll be surprised what a single driver can do.  

Oct 7, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #193 of 265
the westone 4 is very neutral IEMS, people by the westone 4 for analytical music, which I dont prefer too much, so I guess its not your cup of tea afterall, move on to something you like.

Oct 7, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #195 of 265
Quote:
It's very concievable a person could not care for W4 but really love UM3X.  I would be in that category.

I've thought of picking up the UM1, UM2, or UM3X at one point, but I fear it has Westone's signature "scooped out upper mids". W2 nearly nailed it for me, except in that aspect; pushing it to "dealbreaker" territory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back