Westone 4 = Disappointment
Sep 9, 2011 at 1:26 AM Post #16 of 265
FWIW, I absolutely didn't like the W4 either, when I demo'd them. Only time I thought they were fantastic was out of the store's Phonitor--which I will surely never own, and anyway I don't do a lot of desktop listening to my gear.

OP, don't let this experience put you off Westone. Their UM1 is great value for money (and even smaller than the W4), the UM2 is more than adequate for many enthusiasts and amateur musicians, and the UM3X I found fantastic, even as an owner of the Senn IE8 for >1 year. The W4, I think, is really not worth your cash, but keep them around for a bit and see how it pans out for you. The great news is that someone else will surely want them.

Sep 9, 2011 at 1:34 AM Post #17 of 265
I surely want them... I'll gladly take your donation sir 
biggrin.gif

Sep 9, 2011 at 1:35 AM Post #18 of 265
The grey silicon tips suck a lot of sound out of the W4. You need a tip with a wide hole in the nozzle's diameter. It will make a big difference. Also, I'm one of a few that believe in burn-in for all iems (dynamic or BA). Experiment and try it out a little longer. I think they are pretty spectacular myself.

Sep 9, 2011 at 1:36 AM Post #19 of 265
yeah i keep switching it up between the shure olives and the comply P series - more sound vs better isolation. :/

Quote:
The grey silicon tips suck a lot of sound out of the W4. You need a tip with a wide hole in the nozzle's diameter. It will make a big difference. Also, I'm one of a few that believe in burn-in for all iems (dynamic or BA). Experiment and try it out a little longer. I think they are pretty spectacular myself.

Sep 9, 2011 at 1:40 AM Post #20 of 265

Quote:
yeah i keep switching it up between the shure olives and the comply P series - more sound vs better isolation. :/

I prefer the largest oval silicon tips that came with it, then the EarPortz tips (makes it fit like a custom to my ears), the mod Monster white foam hybrid tips, and then the Olives.

Sep 9, 2011 at 2:12 AM Post #21 of 265
Cool, thanks for the input everyone.

You know, I may have to try more Westone products in the future. If this doesn't work for me, then it doesn't work. I will definitely spend more time with them, as well as experiment with the tips. Still loving the fit though! If anything, it may just benefit me to get a different model. Hopefully, there's one out there with my name on it. Guess I'll just have to try around. (That's assuming neither the PFE or the GR07 don't do it for me either).

I'm using them out of my iAudio 7 with no EQ at the moment.

For the past few months of my journey, I've actually preferred a slightly brighter and more exciting sound. A quick flashback reveals very few headphones have fatigued me treble wise. I know for a fact the Phiaton PS200 was the brightest and most painful IEM I've ever heard, but other than that, this W4 is probably 2nd in IEM for me. But it's not treble in it's entirety. There's just one little spot somewhere that constantly peaks, and it is NOT pleasant. No matter what song, no matter how much patience I have. But again, I'll try more tips.

Sep 9, 2011 at 2:27 AM Post #22 of 265
Quote:
I think the problem here is a mismatch in your preferred sound signature.

I'd have to agree with the above statement. IMO, the W4 can be, at times, a tad 'lifeless', comparatively speaking that is. Then again, it's signature is much too neutral, which certainly isn't everyone's cup of tea. Much like you, we are all on the hunt for the right one(s) my friend, and at the end of the day, the decision lies on your ears, and your ears alone. I'd be willing to bet, however, that the GR07 will leave you with a much better impression. Just my gut feeling. 
wink.gif

Sep 9, 2011 at 3:27 AM Post #23 of 265
Hot fatiguing treble?

Give me a second, I need to re-listen to my W4 again, this review doesn't seem to go with what I thought of the W4.

EDIT: Yeah, not sensing hot fatiguing treble at all. FX700 and EX1000 has a hotter one, in my opinion -- if I have to use the word 'hot' to describe them. But maybe different ears and tips, though I am using the evil grey silicon tips.
tongue.gif

Sep 9, 2011 at 5:32 AM Post #24 of 265
To my ears the W4s were really muddy out of the box, and I was feeling ripped off for dropping $450 on them as well. I left them playing for about 8 hours, and when I came back to them they were completely different - really clear airy presentation and only a touch warm. BAs may or may not need burn in, but the crossovers certainly appear to need something through them, because the contrast between before and after was astonishing to me. Like others have mentioned, the "hot treble" doesn't sound typical of the sound of W4 at all.

Sep 9, 2011 at 7:15 AM Post #25 of 265

Quote:
Yeah, maybe some time and you might adapt to it, but if it doesn't work then it doesn't work. Don't lie to yourself just because it has 4 drivers and people are saying they are loving it. I should have tried the W4 a bit longer so i can have input in it but I didn't so I prefer not to judge the sound since its unfair. The reason why I chose  the um3x over the W4 was mainly due the quality of sound really matched the music I was listening to. So they were the first IEMs that I tested and kinda got me out of my chair. All I can say about W4 are they are neutral period. This might be good in the long run since high end customs are all neutral aimed for the long run rather than coloured sounds. So all depends on your preferences, but do try the Um3x, it might change your view in what you want.

All High end customs are neutral? You may want to define "neutral," or define "HIgh End." 

Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com
Sep 9, 2011 at 9:42 AM Post #26 of 265
Yeah, the treble has a hot spike somewhere. Not sizzling hot like the DT990 and PS200, but it's still noticeable.

Probably more descriptive now that I've listened to it more, is it's really "ting-y" sounding treble spike, that's also very thin.

I will try and burn them in though, just to see how they improve. Still trying different tips as well.

Sep 9, 2011 at 10:17 AM Post #27 of 265
i had both the w4 and se535 together
chose the 535 big time

its down to personal preference what you are looking out for
w4 has great neutrality, but it stopped there for me

Sep 9, 2011 at 3:29 PM Post #29 of 265
@ Katun
I know everybody hears things differently so unfortunate that you hear a spike that I do not.

The Vsonic 07 along those lines, you will hate also because imvho they are in the same family. W4, smooth with a slight veil, 07 with another notch of veil. Both are incredible IMO.

Personally, I am Ebaying anything else I have to only own those two at the min.

Next Step is really only the custom route but for now that is it for me.

Again just my opinion and people hear things obviously different. 

Sep 9, 2011 at 3:42 PM Post #30 of 265
The main problem is that people see 4 drivers & assume it's going to have extremely powerful bass & be the best thing they've ever listened to. That's just not the case. Westone replaced the single bass driver from the W3 with smaller, dual-drivers for the bass, with the purpose of delivering a more detailed bass note, not increase the quantity of bass. It's actually a very neutral earphone, which people will just find 'boring' at first listen, when coming from a more V-shaped frequency curve. I've tried the W3 & UM3X, and the W4 is easily more neutral than both of them. Both the UM3X & W3 have more bass quantity, but it's flabby in comparison to the extremely detailed & deep bass of the W4. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back