Westone 3 - You asked for it, we listened !
Nov 27, 2008 at 1:29 AM Post #2,476 of 2,524
MMMEEEEE WWAANNNTTTSSSS MOOORREEEE REEVVIIEEWWSSSSSSSS....

icon10.gif

Nov 27, 2008 at 1:35 AM Post #2,477 of 2,524
Larry,

Please tell us if they include the Black Olive style tips in their kit. Like CN11, many of us enjoy using those type tips. They help achieve a better seal which gives better bass response. Also, they are more economical that the Comply tips which have to be replaced.

Enjoy...and don't stay up all night this time!!!! We'll be here when you get finished (know what I'm mean?). Alright!

david

Nov 27, 2008 at 1:45 AM Post #2,480 of 2,524
It doesn't look to me like they come with Olive style tips. I happen to have some which I've been using with my Atrios. But since it appears that the compatibility is there, I'm excited to try them on the Westone 3.

http://www.westonemusicproducts.com/...5fc13ec970b-pi

Nov 27, 2008 at 1:46 AM Post #2,481 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by letloverule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah what happened to the earphonesolution comparison
smily_headphones1.gif

Flavio
wink.gif

Yup, am waiting for the comparisons before placing order. No offense, Flavio....but HURRY UP!!!!
atsmile.gif

Nov 27, 2008 at 1:53 AM Post #2,482 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I get a lot more bass and fullness/depth with the Complys

Ohhhh noooooooooo!!! Are those the T-400 Complys??? Once they expand, they are way too big for my ears. Hmmmm, I just remembered that I used the T-400's on my C700 for about 5 minutes, and the C700 tube isn't the same size as the W3 is it? So would that mean you're using a different version of Comply?

Nov 27, 2008 at 2:07 AM Post #2,484 of 2,524
No Olive Foamies. Those are made by Shure for Shure products. They do fit fine though. I have the mediums ones on my W3'3 actually right now.

It's also interesting that Comply says the "P" series on the UM1/UM2 when we use the T-100 (short) on the earphone and include the "P" (standard) on them. We also use a "slim" but I cannot find the series on Comply's site.

Nov 27, 2008 at 2:24 AM Post #2,485 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by p0wderh0und23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No Olive Foamies. Those are made by Shure for Shure products. They do fit fine though. I have the mediums ones on my W3'3 actually right now.

Whoa... that's like sleeping with the enemy or something.
wink.gif

Nov 27, 2008 at 2:25 AM Post #2,486 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I get a lot more bass and fullness/depth with the Complys, and more treble with bi-flange, while they sound in between with the UM-56 custom tips.

Sorry if discussed before, but what is the consensus comparing UM-56 customs vs ComplyTips? I own the UM2 that I use with UM-56 mainly in airplanes with trips of around 6 hours. I don't know if my UM56 where not so precise made but I feel the right one need to be pushed more to remain stable and a hard movement make it open a little bit that I immediately notice with the outside noise. Other than that, I like customs very much.

Sometimes, I apply a little drop water outside customs to get a total seal that I love. Using them in the gym is not an issue due to perspiration that seal them. Any other suggestions for wearing and maintenance of customs (UM56)?

Thanks in advance.

Nov 27, 2008 at 2:33 AM Post #2,487 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by p0wderh0und23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's also interesting that Comply says the "P" series on the UM1/UM2 when we use the T-100 (short) on the earphone and include the "P" (standard) on them. We also use a "slim" but I cannot find the series on Comply's site.

Interestingly I am using the P-series Complys tips that Dale at Westone gave me to use with my audition of the Westone 3 last year. I have not tried the T-series Complys yet. I do have 5 pair of T-series for my Denon.

Nov 27, 2008 at 3:08 AM Post #2,488 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jwg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry if discussed before, but what is the consensus comparing UM-56 customs vs ComplyTips?

I've no idea what the consensus is, but I had some UM56 customs made and went back to Comply tips. With the UM56, my UM2 just sounds kind of garbled - hard to explain but rather like bathroom acoustics. Also the Comply tips have much better isolation and are less microphonic. I use the slim fit, available from the Earplug Superstore.

I just placed an order for the W3. From what I read, it sounds like exactly what I am looking for - similar comfort and isolation to the UM2, but without the rolled-off high frequencies. Also the lower sensitivity (107 vs 119) should make iPod noise less noticeable. Hope I won't be disappointed!

Nov 27, 2008 at 3:12 AM Post #2,489 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by letloverule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah what happened to the earphonesolution comparison
smily_headphones1.gif

Flavio
wink.gif

I'm sorry but I had some Thanksgiving errands to finish...

Tomorrow, at least the UM2 vs. Westone 3 will be ready.

Nov 27, 2008 at 5:05 AM Post #2,490 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Barry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've no idea what the consensus is, but I had some UM56 customs made and went back to Comply tips. With the UM56, my UM2 just sounds kind of garbled - hard to explain but rather like bathroom acoustics. Also the Comply tips have much better isolation and are less microphonic. I use the slim fit, available from the Earplug Superstore.

I just placed an order for the W3. From what I read, it sounds like exactly what I am looking for - similar comfort and isolation to the UM2, but without the rolled-off high frequencies. Also the lower sensitivity (107 vs 119) should make iPod noise less noticeable. Hope I won't be disappointed!

At this point I have to say my favorite tip with the Westone 3 is my Westone UM-56 custom tips, followed by the Complys P-style foam tips (will try the T-series next). The modded bi-flange that I liked with the SE530 I don't like so much with the Westone 3 (so will also try the stock triple flange soon).

I was having trouble inserting the UM-56 into my ears, until I looked at my Livewires realized that I was trying to insert the tips upside-down 180 degrees off. LOL.

With the UM56 the Westone 3 sit nice and flush in my ears, and they tuck-in 100% better than my SE530 did with the same tips. Within a week of owning the UM-56 last September I snapped the sound nozzle off one of my SE530 earpieces while sleeping with them in. There is NO way that can happen to the Westone 3 with the nice snug fit I have - they tuck in as well as with any tip that is included.

Mine fit flawlessly - not loose or too tight of a seal, and isolation is tremendous. You could order some Otoease or Otoferm to help your seal, instead of using a drop of water or spit or sweat, and then you wont have to worry about Otitis Externa (swimmer's ear).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back