Westone 3 - You asked for it, we listened !
May 10, 2008 at 5:04 AM Post #2,146 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just received notification from Earphone Solutions- Westone has updated to "Early 2009"!!!!!

What a crock.

Haha wow, that's a good while from now.

I guess I'll just have to go custom if I want to upgrade now...

May 10, 2008 at 1:30 PM Post #2,147 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just received notification from Earphone Solutions- Westone has updated to "Early 2009"!!!!!

What a crock.

Are you kidding me?! Is this confirmed? That's one hell of a "packaging problem" all right!
mad.gif

OK, I've been waiting for these because I'd like to get IEMs for work to drown out my chatty co-workers, the industrial-size paper shredder, etc.

So, what's the best alternative now? So far I've been a Sennheiser guy; are the the IE6/IE7 worth considering? At least with Sennheiser, I believe they're going to come out soon. What about the Sleek SA6?

May 10, 2008 at 3:45 PM Post #2,148 of 2,524
We received official update from Westone on Friday, May 9th (not on the 8th) via email:

"...we do not expect to release the product until late 2008 at the earliest..."

All new pre-orders have been suspended on Earphone Solutions site. Existing pre-orders will be kept in our system until canceled or changed. We put 6 offers together to try and help with the inconvenience and disappointment.

We apologize for all the inconvenience and really appreciate your continued support.

May 10, 2008 at 4:57 PM Post #2,149 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by Flavio T /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We received official update from Westone on Friday, May 9th (not on the 8th) via email:

All new pre-orders have been suspended on Earphone Solutions site. Existing pre-orders will be kept in our system until canceled or changed. We put 6 offers together to try and help with the inconvenience and disappointment.

We apologize for all the inconvenience and really appreciate your continued support.

Flavio, thanks for keeping us in the loop and thanks for doing all that you've done to appease disappointed preorderers. You've been put in a tough spot, but you've handled it very well. I personally haven't taken you up on any of the offers, but it does give me peace of mind to know that my order is backed by your excellent customer service. You've probably just won a customer for life.
biggrin.gif

May 10, 2008 at 9:33 PM Post #2,151 of 2,524
Quote:

You guys have handled this with such grace. With the position that Westone has put you in, I think you've earned the right to TP the CEO's house.
wink.gif

As for the optimist group, stating the obvious that there are much greater problems in the world - well of course there are. It's so simple that it doesn't need to be said. It's just that Westone kindly opened this topic for us, and so that's the topic up for discussion.

Those with preorders have more of a stake in this, but what I see is that they let the value of their brand down - NOT from product delays, but from the 180 degree change in how they used to communicate.

It's accepted that there are some things they simply can't say without it being out there for competitors, but there is plenty they can say, and until they say it, the value of the brand has somewhat diminished. I hope it was worth it for them.

May 11, 2008 at 2:44 AM Post #2,152 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You guys have handled this with such grace. With the position that Westone has put you in, I think you've earned the right to TP the CEO's house.
wink.gif

Agreed they have.

Quote:

As for the optimist group, stating the obvious that there are much greater problems in the world - well of course there are. It's so simple that it doesn't need to be said. It's just that Westone kindly opened this topic for us, and so that's the topic up for discussion.

It is pretty darn simple isn't it. Yet, you see, sometimes the most simple things are those things that get overlooked so easily because well, they are simple. Taking a step back to look at reality a little bit helps people gain a little perspective like say not attacking someone like Craig for being an optimist. It really does suck that a bunch of whiners are crying that they couldn't blow a few hundred bucks on the latest and greatest IEM. WAAAAAAAAA! Mommy please make me feel better, the bad man lied to me WAAAAA!

Seriously, a company made an error and have decided to withold the product until it is 100% readily. In a lot of ways this should be commended. Think Vista. Vista is a heaping pile of squirrel dung yet it was shipped anyway. SP3 is killing computers. Microsoft is the wealthiest software company in the world and they can't ship a decent OS. Had they waited until it was ready maybe their stock wouldn't be taking a hit. The point? Sometimes it is better to wait and it is pretty clear albeit dead simple to spot, that if the 3's had been released with a single flaw, those that survived their embolisms would have ranted and ranted and ranted. Am I disappointed they haven't been released? Yes. Could I have purchased some other IEM's? Yes. Did I? No because I too was waiting, particularly for custom 3's. I was hoping for some great things. The UM2's are very comfy, customs are even more so and with better sound it was a win win for me. My window of really needing this now has closed. My daughter sleeps through the night and I will have trouble justifying pricey customs to my wife now that the house is dead quiet after 8 pm. Does that piss me off? You bet, I miss out on some sweet IEM's. Do I freak out? No. Maybe because I'm generally a well balanced person. Apparently there are quite a few here that need to grow up a bit.

Quote:

Those with preorders have more of a stake in this, but what I see is that they let the value of their brand down - NOT from product delays, but from the 180 degree change in how they used to communicate.

I agree. Many here will think UE again particularly with the 11's on the block or Shure. Westone, at least on this board, will really need to redeem themselves. But given that Westone is a pioneering company in IEM tech and caters to quite a few celebs/pro musicians not to mention a broad consumer audience, despite the heinousness of the 180 change in communication, I personally don't know if the higher ups really care about Head-fi. Maybe a fanbase of 40000 including lurkers? Peanuts to them in the grand scheme of things. Of course the OP is a loyal Head-fier, is likely feeling quite a bit of heat from both sides and hates the position he is in, but the company itself? We can only speculate until they write something to us.

Quote:

It's accepted that there are some things they simply can't say without it being out there for competitors, but there is plenty they can say, and until they say it, the value of the brand has somewhat diminished. I hope it was worth it for them.

Pretty much the same response for this as above. I'm not sure they much care about our little segment, though we are certainly a bunch that would buy a bunch of customs from them. Still, musicians are their primary target there even if the 3's are meant for audiophiles. You are right though, the brand has suffered here at Head-fi and their no-show at the National Meet hurt them quite a bit. Let it be clear, I'm disappointed too. As much as anybody here, I just react to it quite a bit differently. I don't freak out on members who try to keep an optimistic outlook, perhaps because I'm trying to be an optimist as well.

May 11, 2008 at 3:08 AM Post #2,153 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed they have.

It is pretty darn simple isn't it. Yet, you see, sometimes the most simple things are those things that get overlooked so easily because well, they are simple. Taking a step back to look at reality a little bit helps people gain a little perspective like say not attacking someone like Craig for being an optimist. It really does suck that a bunch of whiners are crying that they couldn't blow a few hundred bucks on the latest and greatest IEM. WAAAAAAAAA! Mommy please make me feel better, the bad man lied to me WAAAAA!

Seriously, a company made an error and have decided to withold the product until it is 100% readily. In a lot of ways this should be commended. Think Vista. Vista is a heaping pile of squirrel dung yet it was shipped anyway. SP3 is killing computers. Microsoft is the wealthiest software company in the world and they can't ship a decent OS. Had they waited until it was ready maybe their stock wouldn't be taking a hit. The point? Sometimes it is better to wait and it is pretty clear albeit dead simple to spot, that if the 3's had been released with a single flaw, those that survived their embolisms would have ranted and ranted and ranted. Am I disappointed they haven't been released? Yes. Could I have purchased some other IEM's? Yes. Did I? No because I too was waiting, particularly for custom 3's. I was hoping for some great things. The UM2's are very comfy, customs are even more so and with better sound it was a win win for me. My window of really needing this now has closed. My daughter sleeps through the night and I will have trouble justifying pricey customs to my wife now that the house is dead quiet after 8 pm. Does that piss me off? You bet, I miss out on some sweet IEM's. Do I freak out? No. Maybe because I'm generally a well balanced person. Apparently there are quite a few here that need to grow up a bit.

I agree. Many here will think UE again particularly with the 11's on the block or Shure. Westone, at least on this board, will really need to redeem themselves. But given that Westone is a pioneering company in IEM tech and caters to quite a few celebs/pro musicians not to mention a broad consumer audience, despite the heinousness of the 180 change in communication, I personally don't know if the higher ups really care about Head-fi. Maybe a fanbase of 40000 including lurkers? Peanuts to them in the grand scheme of things. Of course the OP is a loyal Head-fier, is likely feeling quite a bit of heat from both sides and hates the position he is in, but the company itself? We can only speculate until they write something to us.

Pretty much the same response for this as above. I'm not sure they much care about our little segment, though we are certainly a bunch that would buy a bunch of customs from them. Still, musicians are their primary target there even if the 3's are meant for audiophiles. You are right though, the brand has suffered here at Head-fi and their no-show at the National Meet hurt them quite a bit. Let it be clear, I'm disappointed too. As much as anybody here, I just react to it quite a bit differently. I don't freak out on members who try to keep an optimistic outlook, perhaps because I'm trying to be an optimist as well.

Kudos. If I was in your postion and had been awaiting the UM3 I couldn't have put it better myself...well done sir. Your 'realism' and perspective is what I suscribe to also. Relax and be calm people. Why get so emotionally invested in something thats out of your control and that in the grand scheme of things is not that big a deal? Remind urself of why this is likely a positive move rather than blinding yourself with negatives. If you cannot do this pop a pill, why not, your clearly close to retardation anyway
evil_smiley.gif

May 11, 2008 at 5:14 AM Post #2,154 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by OracleGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, what's the best alternative now? So far I've been a Sennheiser guy; are the the IE6/IE7 worth considering? At least with Sennheiser, I believe they're going to come out soon. What about the Sleek SA6?

the senns are more in the price range of the sa6, but the latter has much better fidelity, plus it's adjustable. c'mon folks, if you don't have iems but want some buy 'em and consider scoring the 3s when they come out, if you're so inclined then. (and please, stop the b*tching and moaning already - it's tiresome! (and accomplishes little).)

May 11, 2008 at 1:45 PM Post #2,155 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's crazy - and not what the gentleman at Westone lead me to believe just a couple of weeks ago. He certainly seemed genuine.

looks like there's confusion within the company too...

May 11, 2008 at 2:57 PM Post #2,156 of 2,524
Quote:

Thats just plain crazy!
One year delayed so far, and no they say we will have to wait at least another six months. Oh my... shakes_head

Flavio. Thanks for keeping us updated though.

May 11, 2008 at 8:07 PM Post #2,158 of 2,524
i think this is a clear case where you start tinkering with something, and you tune, you fix, you correct, you tune, and its still not right, still not good, and its never going to be just right, becuase its no longer a process, its an obsession, so the only thing left it to stop, look at it in perspective, remind yourself of the original goal, and if needed, start over,

May 12, 2008 at 4:27 AM Post #2,159 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by direcow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
looks like there's confusion within the company too...

Yeah. I called him back the other day, and he hasn't returned my call. I figured a phone call would be easier to get the story, since they don't have to put it in writing to bite them in the butt later.

May 12, 2008 at 6:43 PM Post #2,160 of 2,524
I forgot to say that I agreed with Zanth, and of course he's right that head-fi is chump change to the bigger picture. I just don't like when companies treat entire segments as chump change, because having a small business, I certainly don't. But it is Westone's bed to make isn't it?
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back