Westone 3 - You asked for it, we listened !
May 15, 2008 at 5:42 PM Post #2,176 of 2,524
I do not relate in any which way to Westone or have been paid or have any interest in being rewarded with any thing what so ever, but I happened to be one of the very few, I mean very few that was lucky enough to have been given a Westone lll for evaluation, at the San Jose National meet, which I did post about it a year ago. All I can say, that after a year of long listening with these phones for great period of times, they still amaze me in the quality of sound that they produce, I consider my self one of those rare lucky once who happened to get a good taste of the product that will be available for all to be owned. I have never followed this thread, I have no idea as to what is holding what & have no time to read thousands of posts but Weston lll is the only Universal IEM's that puts the big smile on my face. This is coming from a person who owns some of the best custom built IEM's.
Ray Samuels

May 15, 2008 at 9:12 PM Post #2,177 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by p0wderh0und23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Headfier's I was asked to post this today. A similar letter was sent to all our dealers last Thursday/Friday.

PUBLIC Westone 3 Delay letter from Lynn
[snip]
Although we have been testing and refining prototypes of the 3 for the past year, the pre-production units have not met our performance expectations. Rather than release a product that might be “good enough,” we recently decided to redesign certain aspects of the product.
[snip]
Sincerely,
Lynn Kehler

I will answer what questions I can on the subject.-
- p0wderh0und

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Samuels /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...but Weston lll is the only Universal IEM's that puts the big smile on my face. This is coming from a person who owns some of the best custom built IEM's.
Ray Samuels

my thanks to both of you for chiming in here. i've seen Ray's custom ue10pros and his westone 3s, and was fortunate enough to get a listen to the latter. as i've recently posted in this thread this is a product that will please many folks and induce many a smile of sonic bliss.
Doug, hopefully one of the questions you can answer is whether the redesign means it will sound much different than what Ray and I (and others who've heard prototypes at various shows and have chimed in on this thread) have heard.

May 15, 2008 at 11:26 PM Post #2,180 of 2,524
Sounds like they will be the gap between the Shure 530s and the UE11. I like the 530s, but they always leave me wanting more in the treble. The UE11s are just too expensive in comparison for me to want to purchase. I guess I'll be waiting till the end of the year to get the 3s
wink.gif

May 15, 2008 at 11:40 PM Post #2,181 of 2,524
I always did think that shures are more ex for the equivalent spec-ed models from other brands..so the 3s are supposed to be better and cheaper! that's not too bad...

another reason to wait...

May 16, 2008 at 1:03 AM Post #2,182 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like they will be the gap between the Shure 530s and the UE11. I like the 530s, but they always leave me wanting more in the treble. The UE11s are just too expensive in comparison for me to want to purchase. I guess I'll be waiting till the end of the year to get the 3s
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I always did think that shures are more ex for the equivalent spec-ed models from other brands..so the 3s are supposed to be better and cheaper! that's not too bad...
another reason to wait...

rob, do you still have your e500s to tide you over?
there will be those who prefer the 500/530s to the westone 3. from what i've heard they certainly both have their appeal and are both worthy entrants in the world of high universal iems - as are the triple.fis.

May 16, 2008 at 4:08 AM Post #2,183 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by craiglester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well that is if you can't count I guess.. January 2007 - January 2009 (or so) is 2 years.
rolleyes.gif

Graig, I feel bad for you the most, because you won a pair last May and a year later don't have them. You are one of the few people who are really invested in the product right now, and have something to lose.

I'd love to see Westone come out with the Custom 3 sooner than later, because they wont have the same issues with the sonic welder, or whatever is the new delay. It seems they could use the drivers, and crossover, but in a custom shell. I offered to pay them $800 to let me beta test the Custom 3 and keep it, but I think they thought I was joking.
cool.gif

May 16, 2008 at 4:13 AM Post #2,184 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by daveDerek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my thanks to both of you for chiming in here. i've seen Ray's custom ue10pros and his westone 3s, and was fortunate enough to get a listen to the latter. as i've recently posted in this thread this is a product that will please many folks and induce many a smile of sonic bliss.
Doug, hopefully one of the questions you can answer is whether the redesign means it will sound much different than what Ray and I (and others who've heard prototypes at various shows and have chimed in on this thread) have heard.

I would imagine the crossovers and drivers would not change, just the "package" or "shell" they fit into. So, sound should be pretty close, and if it did change, I would think they would tweak the crossover to restore the sound to what it should be (and what I heard myself last September).

May 16, 2008 at 1:10 PM Post #2,185 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Graig, I feel bad for you the most, because you won a pair last May and a year later don't have them. You are one of the few people who are really invested in the product right now, and have something to lose.

I'd love to see Westone come out with the Custom 3 sooner than later, because they wont have the same issues with the sonic welder, or whatever is the new delay. It seems they could use the drivers, and crossover, but in a custom shell. I offered to pay them $800 to let me beta test the Custom 3 and keep it, but I think they thought I was joking.
cool.gif

Powderhound23 had mentioned way back when, like a year ago- that a beta testing group had been organized. Of course, when the 3's "packaging" difficulties were first announced the beta group for the Custom 3 was put on hold until the universal was finalized and ready to go.

May 16, 2008 at 1:23 PM Post #2,186 of 2,524
I'm sure Westone will honor the prize offering. I don't mind waiting too much, it'll be a lovely surprise when they're ready.

May 16, 2008 at 3:04 PM Post #2,187 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by craiglester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well that is if you can't count I guess.. January 2007 - January 2009 (or so) is 2 years.
rolleyes.gif

Who's saying its going to be here by January 2009? It could be 2010 for all we know...
wink.gif

May 16, 2008 at 4:12 PM Post #2,188 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Who's saying its going to be here by January 2009? It could be 2010 for all we know...
wink.gif

No, it will be 2015, guaranteed.

May 16, 2008 at 4:57 PM Post #2,189 of 2,524
Ugh, I was going on the most up to date info - Late 2008, and allowing a little extra.. Not just negatively speculating so that my "witty" comment doesn't looks so silly..

How tiresome

May 16, 2008 at 5:23 PM Post #2,190 of 2,524
But the most optomistic estimates from Earphone solutions puts it not at 2008, but more like 2009. Didn't you read that post? I think that's why people are having a bit of a laugh here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back