Westone 3 - You asked for it, we listened !
Jul 2, 2007 at 10:21 PM Post #1,141 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by jay spec /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WOW it's been a long time since i've visited this thread! moseboy, i did answer the question previously within my review/comments on pgs.41-43...though it might've been in a more roundabout way. to reiterate though, the westone 3's sibilance is even more apparent than the um2's...so yes, if you hear sibilance on the um2's, you will definitely hear it on the 3's as well. hope that helps
cool.gif

Yes, your review did help a lot, thanks. It finalized my decision to get the E500, and I have no regrets: I've been loving them more and more each day since I got them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 2, 2007 at 11:12 PM Post #1,142 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luckyleo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Didn't mean to infer that people don't have a right to be p/o'd or to express themselves. Just expressing my personal view of how I look at it. I've absolutely no problem with any of the posts on this matter.

Sorry to not have communicated properly.

That's a very gracious thing to say. To be honest, my comments were not so much directed at you but towards a general sentiment being proffered in this thread over the past few months by a small crowd of individuals. So my remarks are a reaction to their cumulative postings, not so much just your posting, and I'm sorry to not have communicated properly either
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 5, 2007 at 11:01 PM Post #1,143 of 2,524
Received this note from Westone today after an email to them yesterday. I asked when we could expect the new 3's. Looks like a long wait. Must have alot of "packaging" problems.
================================================== =========

We are striving to have it available this summer. Please keep an eye on our web site as this is where the first announcement will be made.

Sincerely,

Dale Douglass
Westone Music Products Support Team
800-525-5071

Jul 5, 2007 at 11:17 PM Post #1,144 of 2,524
Oh well.

Just cancelled my preorder from May. Waiting and increased doubts on what the final product may sound like
confused.gif
just sealed it for me.

Thank you all who has contributed to this thread - not least the ones that have actually listened to the W3's
rolleyes.gif
!

I'll keep on using my trusted Ety 4's that this forum (rightly) convinced me to buy a few years ago. An unauditioned long-distance order (USA->Denmark) that was all it was supposed to be
etysmile.gif

Quest for a REAL product with a better/fuller low-end response than the Ety's continues...! D*mned - just when you thought you had made your mind up, supplier spoils it all by not delivering
frown.gif

/N

Jul 6, 2007 at 8:51 AM Post #1,145 of 2,524
I don't really mind that the W3 is delayed, but I think it's a shame that powderhound doesn't seem to post here anymore, especially after all the positive stir-up he caused during this thread...

Jul 6, 2007 at 5:27 PM Post #1,146 of 2,524
Since Westone's abandoned the thread, guess I'll do the same. Just saw that the E500PTH is $279.99 anyway on a thread here so I went for it. All my anticipation and tension regarding the 3's have now subsided.

Jul 6, 2007 at 5:37 PM Post #1,147 of 2,524
Indeed, I too have been waiting for the 3's to be released, but if Westone can't even spare 5 minutes to keep their customers informed than it doesn't look good for any potential aftersales assistance you might require...
frown.gif

Now whilst they don't have to respond, by participating in this thread Westone have built up a lot of hype which they are now losing.

As has already been mentioned, a little honesty on Westone's part in saying that there has been an unforeseen problem [the real reason, not some packaging excuse] would do less harm than alienating their customers by a lack of communication.

I will still probably buy the 3's as they seem the perfect IEM for my needs [judging by other peoples experiences in this thread,] however, I can't see myself choosing Westone for the next upgrade after that...

Jul 6, 2007 at 6:07 PM Post #1,148 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luckyleo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Received this note from Westone today after an email to them yesterday. I asked when we could expect the new 3's. Looks like a long wait. Must have alot of "packaging" problems.
================================================== =========

We are striving to have it available this summer. Please keep an eye on our web site as this is where the first announcement will be made.

Sincerely,

Dale Douglass
Westone Music Products Support Team
800-525-5071

That must be some packaging problem. Which in turn delay a pair of earphones for several months...
Oh well!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 6, 2007 at 6:16 PM Post #1,149 of 2,524
I'm starting to concern that could be a possible tecnical issue with the 3's sound or something.
It's just taking sooooooooooooo long.
Something bad must be happening, so they're using this package excuse to mask the problem.
They must give some explanation as fast as possible ...

Jul 6, 2007 at 6:23 PM Post #1,150 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by epaludo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm starting to concern that could be a possible tecnical issue with the 3's sound or something.
It's just taking sooooooooooooo long.
Something bad must be happening, so they're using this package excuse to mask the problem.
They must give some explanation as fast as possible ...

While I think they are doing their best to get the IEMs right, I'd have to assume there are technical issues as well. I'm hoping they aren't realizing that the competition sounds better and having to upgrade to compete. I'm hoping they are just waiting for suppliers.

I guess we'll see.

Jul 6, 2007 at 6:28 PM Post #1,151 of 2,524
Siicom just got a pre-production pair for the Toronto meet tomorrow. I'll be comparing them (albeit briefly) to my triple.fi's; this tells me 2 things:
  • the IEM's are ready to go
  • their sound has been finalized-ish
  • They are having supply problems.

Jul 7, 2007 at 8:01 AM Post #1,152 of 2,524
Even though there has been such a delay, I'm still very excited about the Westone 3. Gosh, I've never heard a three-way, triple driver IEM. Goodness knows when the custom version will arrive.

I have a feeling that omendelovitz is right: they are having supply problems with a certain part. *sigh* [size=xx-small][IGNORE] Personally, I like the way Shure operate more. They only announce a product when it's ready to be put on the shelves. Both Ultimate Ears and Westone have leaked details and hyped up their products via forums and enthusiast websites then delayed (albeit not on purpose) the actual release. I think this is one of the reasons why the E500 has been such a success. [/IGNORE][/size]

Jul 7, 2007 at 4:40 PM Post #1,153 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even though there has been such a delay, I'm still very excited about the Westone 3. Gosh, I've never heard a three-way, triple driver IEM. Goodness knows when the custom version will arrive.

I have a feeling that omendelovitz is right: they are having supply problems with a certain part. *sigh* Personally, I like the way Shure operate more. They only announce a product when it's ready to be put on the shelves. Both Ultimate Ears and Westone have leaked details and hyped up their products via forums and enthusiast websites then delayed (albeit not on purpose) the actual release. I think this is one of the reasons why the E500 has been such a success.

Uh,hello? The Shure E500 was announced in early January 2006. It was targeted for an April release and was delayed 3 times. It wasn't released until late June. There was a tremendous amount of hype surrounding the E500 which IMO it did not live up to. Shure was just as guilty as either Westone or Ultimate Ears regarding delays and pre-release hype, perhaps even moreso with regards to hype.

Jul 7, 2007 at 5:20 PM Post #1,154 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Uh,hello? The Shure E500 was announced in early January 2006. It was targeted for an April release and was delayed 3 times. It wasn't released until late June. There was a tremendous amount of hype surrounding the E500 which IMO it did not live up to. Shure was just as guilty as either Westone or Ultimate Ears regarding delays and pre-release hype, perhaps even moreso with regards to hype.

Maybe I was day-dreaming back then.
tongue.gif
It really didn't seem that long a wait... Anyway, my most sincere apologies to Westone and Ultimate Ears for singling you guys out.

I don't think that the E500 completely failed to live up to the hype. There are a lot of happy owners of the E500 (I was pretty content with them not too long ago). There were some rather extreme, ultra-hyped-up impressions though, eg E500 = universal UE10Pro, or even E500 > UE10Pro. Oh well.

Jul 8, 2007 at 1:48 AM Post #1,155 of 2,524
Spoke with someone who I don't care to mention (mainly b/c I forgot their name
eek.gif
) about the 3's. Supposedly, Westone's packaging problems stem from "mold problems" - I assume this means that Westone's injection molds may need re-work or they're not good enough to meet Westone's QC. I tested a pair of the 3's today with tri-flanges and some foamies - I wasn't too impressed. Bass was bloated, vocals were forward but other mids felt recessed and the highs were just about right. Ray Samuels said that they needed burn-in - I thought burn-in was not needed for IEM's. RS says not the case. My experience with them was brief and on my DAC/amp setup, so I'm looking forward to having them a little longer for a proper assessment. Meets are definitely better for socializing than for proper listening...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back