Westone 2 True-Fit IEM Appreciation & Impressions Thread...
Feb 20, 2010 at 1:04 AM Post #226 of 441
Quote:

Originally Posted by kite7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The UM3X is near the borderline of being bloated but not to the extent of W3. Again, I use grey silicon tips and shure black foam tips.

That is an excellent price, you should definitely take them for that price.

UM3x is nowhere near the edge of bloated bass. I would call them "bass -lite" if you are comparing to TF10 pro/SE530, not to mention IE8.

I am using shure black foam tips mainly

Feb 20, 2010 at 1:21 AM Post #227 of 441
That is odd, I found them more bassy than my previous Shure E500 which is pretty much the same as SE530 by a good margin. The bass presence always caught my attention with the UM3X. Coming from HD580 and Grado RS1, UM3X has more bassy than both of those full sized cans to my ears, but nowhere near RX700.

Feb 20, 2010 at 1:55 AM Post #228 of 441
Quote:

That is odd, I found them more bassy than my previous Shure E500 which is pretty much the same as SE530 by a good margin. The bass presence always caught my attention with the UM3X. Coming from HD580 and Grado RS1, UM3X has more bassy than both of those full sized cans to my ears, but nowhere near RX700.

I got quite opposite experience. I got a couple of mid range IEM when I own UM3x, like monster turbine/ Denon C710, The bass is HUGE comparing to UM3X, that is what I will call bloated bass. I always feel UM3x bass just barely reaches the decent quantity. Sometimes I will just want more bass as I feel bass is missing in some songs. Don't get me wrong,UM3X bass quality is good.

It is interesting you found SE530 has less bass than UM3x, and before I purchased UM3x, I read a lot comparison among SE530 and w3, UM3x, I don't remember a single review call SE530 has less bass than UM3x

I think among flagship IEM, UM3x should have least amount of bass. Again it may depends on different fit, tip choices
tongue.gif

Feb 20, 2010 at 2:49 AM Post #229 of 441
Quote:

You ought to name your source output. I am wondering if some IEMs drastically change with source.

Feb 20, 2010 at 4:12 AM Post #230 of 441

Feb 20, 2010 at 4:26 AM Post #231 of 441
Quote:

Originally Posted by ben4345 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You ought to name your source output. I am wondering if some IEMs drastically change with source.

I had my E500 with a Cowon D2, Westone 3 with Sony A828,Sansa clip and UM3X with Zune HD, Sansa clip.

Quote:

I snagged some W2s for $197, from an auth. dealer in stock. Can't wait!

Care to share where? More people need to hear these Westone 2s, they are just great.

Feb 20, 2010 at 4:45 AM Post #232 of 441
Quote:

Originally Posted by ethan961 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some certainly do, I know the Fischer Eterna does.
I snagged some W2s for $197, from an auth. dealer in stock. Can't wait!

Congratulation. 197 before shipping is great deal.

Feb 20, 2010 at 4:46 AM Post #233 of 441
eBay My World - audiovengeance
Make an offer, that's what I got mine for.
Also, TheGearLab is auth. and email them to get a good price, $204.94, though they aren't in stock till the 4th of March. I would have bought from there if they were in stock, as Tim is a great guy to talk to. Unfortunately I need these sooner than later, so I had to go with the eBay option.
Also, TheGearLab has the W3 and UM3x at very attractive prices too.

Credit goes to imackler, he pointed the eBay option out to me
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 21, 2010 at 2:54 AM Post #234 of 441

Mar 3, 2010 at 7:35 AM Post #235 of 441

Mar 3, 2010 at 7:41 AM Post #236 of 441
you'll love it when you get it though...

Mar 4, 2010 at 10:50 AM Post #237 of 441
Wow.. It's nice to see my thread is still chugging along.

ethan, you'll enjoy them. They have a great sound to them. Fit very well. and are very pleasing.. Once you get a seal you'll be a happy camper.

I've bought through Audio Vengeance on ebay and it only took like 4 days or so. I almost got my W2's (the thread starter pair) from them but ended up going elsewhere during cyber monday deals.
wink.gif

Enjoy. and hopefully they show up soon.

Mar 4, 2010 at 11:58 AM Post #238 of 441
I was all set to buy the TF10 pros and then i get reading this thread. How do the two compare?

I have to ask; what are the differences between the w2's and the um2's? Also where can i get custom tips in the uk?

Mar 5, 2010 at 6:39 AM Post #239 of 441
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnoford /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was all set to buy the TF10 pros and then i get reading this thread. How do the two compare?

You can find a link to my review in my public profile "about me". In a nutshell I found the TF10Pro to sound recessed in the mids, and the W2 mids are better. The highs are somewhat similar. The W2 bass goes strong to 25Hz but the TF10Pro can play down to 16Hz (for my ears). The TF10Pro has a little more bass impact, but the W2 bass is still good, fast and detailed. You can EQ the W2 bass up, and they don't fight you over it. I prefer to listen to them with no EQ, and I find the W2 are just a little more transparent than the TF10Pro. I can't help with the other Q's.

Mar 5, 2010 at 11:46 AM Post #240 of 441
Yes, to what HFA says...also

UM2: Closed in narrow soundstage, bass is slightly muddy, treble a bit recessed but midrange is quite forward and gorgous. The whole presentation is very smooth, warm and natural sounding.

W2: Much more open soundstage, bass amount equal but a bit tighter and more detailed, treble and midrange are excellent, neither being recessed in any way. Still very smooth and natural sounding but not quite as warm as UM2 but more balanced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back