Westone 2 True-Fit IEM Appreciation & Impressions Thread...
Feb 8, 2010 at 2:40 PM Post #211 of 441
W2 versus W3

Straight out of an Ipod, I could almost flip a coin. Completely happy with W2.

With more powerful sources or amped, W3 probably excels a bit better in that there is more dynamic range.

Feb 10, 2010 at 3:31 AM Post #212 of 441
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
W2 versus W3

Straight out of an Ipod, I could almost flip a coin. Completely happy with W2.

With more powerful sources or amped, W3 probably excels a bit better in that there is more dynamic range.

Just got my W3 today and you are right, I still prefer the W2 sound. W3 has far punchier bass, slightly more up front mid(I find my W2's mid a tiny bit recessed, which nobody else think is the case, it's either my ear or the tip, I don't know). I didn't notice much of a difference in highs. But what bothers me with the W3 is how up front everything is, I can pick out instruments and directions fine, but nothing is all that far away and there is no sense of space that the W2 provide. I want to say the W3 has more detail but that might just be that the W3 play everything closer to me so it's easier to hear.

Note that all of the listening are out of an ipod, which is how I'm planning on using them(carrying a wallet, cellphone, ipod is enough already, I don't need a portable amp) and I only had about 3 hours with them. Maybe they'll open up, we'll see.

Edit: after 5-6 hours, same thing, the W3 is unnecessarily punchy with acoustic music. W2 has the balance just right. I REALLY which I can love the W3 though, they are much comfier.

Feb 10, 2010 at 4:49 AM Post #213 of 441
Quote:

Originally Posted by playingwithfire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But what bothers me with the W3 is how up front everything is, I can pick out instruments and directions fine, but nothing is all that far away and there is no sense of space that the W2 provide. I want to say the W3 has more detail but that might just be that the W3 play everything closer to me so it's easier to hear

That is really well said. My thoughts exactly. I can't wait to try the W2!

Feb 10, 2010 at 11:38 AM Post #214 of 441
Yea, that's a little odd. I find the opposite with W2 being more intimate and up front. Are you comparing with the same tips and are you turning the W3 bass EQ off.

With W3 frequency response a bit more V-shaped, that tends to create the illusion of a larger soundstage = more space.

Feb 10, 2010 at 2:47 PM Post #215 of 441
Same medium gray tips, W2 insert slightly deeper. W3 has a bass EQ? Where? And no, I don't use iPod EQ

Feb 10, 2010 at 4:37 PM Post #216 of 441
No, I meant not to use any lower frequency EQ boost on your player with W3. It certainly does not need it and makes it sound too unbalanced. Yet I DO prefer a slight bass EQ bump when using the W2's.

Feb 16, 2010 at 6:47 PM Post #217 of 441
I've had the W2 for a few weeks now, and am really happy with them - however, there is a slight hiss with my ipod - would these benefit from an amp? I am really trying not to get into the amp side of things, due to cost and added bulk, but I can't help feel that these would benefit.

Any views?

Feb 16, 2010 at 7:01 PM Post #218 of 441
If you do get an amp, make sure you get one with a low noise floor. I didn't try to amp my W2 yet but I have with the W3 and they hiss like crazy. I notice this with low impedance iems. I have to use my UE attenuator in combination to virtually eliminate the hiss.

Feb 18, 2010 at 10:28 PM Post #219 of 441
Got the Westone 2 today. The are very small and light compared to the UM3X and sit on my ear very nicely. It is nearly invisible if I were to look in the mirror straight on.

It definitely does not have the same amount of bass the UM3X has. The UM3X bass has a lot more weight and body the Westone 2 does not have. Westone 2 has about 60-70% of UM3X bass quantity wise. However, I like the presentation of the midrange on the Westone 2 more, not forward or recessed. The soundstage is larger than the UM3X by a good margin and definitely wider. It sounds as if these were tilted more towards the midrange and treble emphasis area where the UM3X is more bass and midrange. If these had a bit more bass, it would be nearly perfect to me. The tips I use are the grey silicon tips and shure black olive foams.

Feb 19, 2010 at 5:19 AM Post #220 of 441
Quote:

Originally Posted by kite7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got the Westone 2 today. The are very small and light compared to the UM3X and sit on my ear very nicely. It is nearly invisible if I were to look in the mirror straight on.

It definitely does not have the same amount of bass the UM3X has. The UM3X bass has a lot more weight and body the Westone 2 does not have. Westone 2 has about 60-70% of UM3X bass quantity wise. However, I like the presentation of the midrange on the Westone 2 more, not forward or recessed. The soundstage is larger than the UM3X by a good margin and definitely wider. It sounds as if these were tilted more towards the midrange and treble emphasis area where the UM3X is more bass and midrange. If these had a bit more bass, it would be nearly perfect to me. The tips I use are the grey silicon tips and shure black olive foams.

That bass can change a lot with different amps and tips. What are you driving them with?

Feb 19, 2010 at 6:28 AM Post #221 of 441
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That bass can change a lot with different amps and tips. What are you driving them with?

Right now I'm just using my Zune HD, looking forward to try it with the HDP soon
icon10.gif

I don't use IEMs much at home so it will be paired up with my Zune HD mostly and I haven't considered getting a portable amp.

Feb 19, 2010 at 8:49 AM Post #222 of 441
listening to my 5CD boxset of Disney music, I don't quite remember 'Circle of Life' have that much soundstage when I was a kid
biggrin.gif

Feb 19, 2010 at 8:51 AM Post #223 of 441
Quote:

Originally Posted by kite7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I see you have the W3, UM3X and now the W2. I have the W2 and W3 and was wondering what the UM3X sound in comparison. I find W3's bass really bloated to the point of bothering me(bass guitar notes at the beginning of "High and Dry" by Radiohead drowns out everything else), is the UM3X more managed or more of the same?

Feb 20, 2010 at 12:11 AM Post #224 of 441
Where is the best place to buy the W2? I've got a quote here for $204.95, and I'm wondering if I should just take it.

Feb 20, 2010 at 12:58 AM Post #225 of 441
Quote:

Originally Posted by playingwithfire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see you have the W3, UM3X and now the W2. I have the W2 and W3 and was wondering what the UM3X sound in comparison. I find W3's bass really bloated to the point of bothering me(bass guitar notes at the beginning of "High and Dry" by Radiohead drowns out everything else), is the UM3X more managed or more of the same?

The UM3X is near the borderline of being bloated but not to the extent of W3. Again, I use grey silicon tips and shure black foam tips.

Quote:

Where is the best place to buy the W2? I've got a quote here for $204.95, and I'm wondering if I should just take it.

That is an excellent price, you should definitely take them for that price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back