Westone 2 True-Fit IEM Appreciation & Impressions Thread...
Feb 6, 2010 at 3:39 PM Post #196 of 441
Amen to that. Makes you wonder how much people can decide/choose based on reviews/impressions, though they of course are valuable additions to HF. Also the reason why emotions can get high. One person can hear a phone as amazing (with his or her gear, tips, etc.) and another says it sucks. Easy to see how that can get people's dander up, and it's one reason why I stay away from being overly critical of any IEM (a lesson that took time to learn) these days.

Feb 6, 2010 at 5:26 PM Post #197 of 441
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm too busy playing with a new pair of Monster Turbine Pro Gold to think about the AT CK10s right now. As much as I hate to admit to liking a Monster phone, these suckers are pretty darn good! Sorry for the further derail - now, let's get back on topic.

Looking forward to your Turbine Pro review!

Feb 6, 2010 at 7:57 PM Post #199 of 441
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have a feeling he is going to like the MTP Gold, which is why we were lucky to get them for $118 shipped, open box or no open box.

Alright, I did a bit of digging around and it was YOU that got the pair of used W2 that I was going for awhile ago(I was suggesting a Se420 3 way swap)
frown.gif

But that's all good, I got a new pair for about $230, just 30 more than that used pair.

Either way, I went through 10 pages of this thread trying to find your TF10 vs. W2 comparison and I did not see it. Did you eventually post one? If not what's your general impression? TF10 sounds good and engaging to me, but the recessed vocal and uncomfortable fit bothers me(it fits fine with reverse mod but the thing is still way too big)

Feb 6, 2010 at 8:20 PM Post #200 of 441
Well, I didn't post any W2 vs. TF10 comparos because to be honest, my TF10s are customs (I had the W2s for a very short time with the stock TF10s I eventually sold), and the custom shells are not fitting right. Long story, but suffice it to say that the W2s are, for my ears, the better choice because with a little EQing, the Westones are more along the lines of the type of IEMs I favor. Crisp, detailed, with enough bass to sound full. Also, I have UM56 tips for the W2s, making them much like customs.

I did like the TF10s okay, in fact they were very nice IEMs. But they also, as stock phones, were too bulky, though the fit/seal wit the Sony hybrids was good.

If forced to choose, I would keep the Westones, which I am doing (for now). I am pondering selling off the TF10 customs (people will buy them) along with the Westone ES cable, to pay for the MTP Gold IEMs, in fact.

Feb 7, 2010 at 4:00 AM Post #201 of 441
Finally had sometimes to listen to the W2 in a quiet environment(psychologically, not physically) and those things are amazing. The thing that impress me the most is how spacious things are and how well the guitar attacks. Spend the past hours listening to Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix(guitar shines) by Phoenix, Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robot by the Flaming Lips(great instrument placement) and the 2 albums by Fleet Foxes(which places you in a concert hall with them, I never realized there was echos in the record, which is really obvious in the Sun Giant EP)

At this point, besides an ever so slight more punch on the bass, I really can't picture how the W3 can be better, I guess I'll see next week...

Feb 7, 2010 at 4:33 AM Post #202 of 441
Close, but Spyro, who has both, favors the W3s. I had the W3s and liked them too, but I had fit issues with them (only sounded not sibilant with tri-flanges) and no Sony X at the time. Also, the W3s are larger, so maybe not as comfy.

Have to check out that Phoenix CD, just got it.

Feb 7, 2010 at 4:41 AM Post #203 of 441
listening to both W2 and W3, the W2 has far better mids and highs. The detail in the bass is also better.
The W3 has more bass but seems to lack detail. Also the wrong tip on the W3 does cause some sibilance and/or make the mid-bass hump more obvious. Whereas the W2's with the wrong tip causes them to sound congested.

I was just thinking of the main differences in the Westone line.

Westone 1: general listening
Westone 2: analytical, flat, and very neutral
Westone 3: fun, colored, and more musical

Feb 7, 2010 at 6:06 PM Post #205 of 441
r u guys saying W2 is better than W3?

Feb 7, 2010 at 6:10 PM Post #206 of 441
I had the W3 awhile ago, and not saying the W2 is better, just different, and that difference may appeal to some buyers (and save them some money). Also, I would never say the W2 is "better" than the UM3X, but for my listening purposes, I preferred the W2.

Feb 7, 2010 at 6:57 PM Post #207 of 441
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I still prefer the W3, as per my review, but I do enjoy the W2.

Feb 7, 2010 at 7:45 PM Post #208 of 441
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think W2 is quite fun. While it has a large soundstage, everything sounds closer and more intimate than W3 probably due to the more forward midrange.

Odd, really shows how the word "subjective" come into play.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think they're better, but that is really subjective.

Feb 7, 2010 at 11:30 PM Post #209 of 441
Here's a pm I sent to a fellow head-fier that sold me the W3. Comparing the W2 and the TF10. Hope it helps anybody that's considering the 2.

"Alright, I told you I'd give you a more thorough review of W2 vs. TF10 when I get sometime. I did a bit of A/B yesterday and overall I think I just enjoy the W2's more laid back presentation a lot more(keep in mind this is a guy that really loved the RE0's low bass presentation, though the W2 is both more spacious and has an adequate bass)

Alright

Bass: TF10 probably has this one, much more punch, ever so slightly faster(maybe a mirage because W2's bass is less present and I might be less sensitive to some bassy sounds). Can't really comment on the extension as my hearing don't really go that low unfortunately due to blasting music as a youth.

Mid: TF10's mid is severely lacking for me and one of the reason I am probably going to sell it. W2 is about perfect in that aspect, not too forward nor too muted. Somebody with more experience(I think Spyro) said that the W2's mid is a bit forward, but to my untrained ear they sound very natural. Everybody from Robin Pecknold to Alison Krauss to Lucia Popp to whoever the headguy in Wilco is sounds fine. On the Magic Flute with Lucia Popp and the Philharmonic Orchestra(conducted by Otto Klemperer) record I wish that the vocal would be more upfront on songs that's more vocal centric(like the Queen of the Night) but the presentation is natural and puts you in about 5th row at the show(more about soundstage later)

High: TF10 wins this hands down, it is definitely sparkier. W2 is not bad in this, it's just that it is really hard to top the TF10's high

Soundstage: Both has large soundstage. The W2 is more natural to me because it doesn't sound like they shoved the lead singer into a closet in the back of the studio and make him sing from there and without the huge bass I can make out instrument better. But either has fairly big soundstage.

Comfort: I have said that the TF10 fits fine with me with the flip mod, they don't fall out but because the earpieces are so big they become ichy and hurts my outer ear after about an hour. The W2 is at least 1/3 smaller in size and(completely unscientific estimate) 1/3 lighter. Is more ergonomically designed and fit much better. My right antihelix(look it up on google, I didn't know what to call it either) still hurts after awhile but I think either 1)I'll get used to it or 2)I'll find a better fit.

Misc: TF10 is detachable cable, straight plug. W2 is non-detachable(but much less microphonic) cable and L plug. TF10 has a MUCH nicer case, but the W2 is serviceable. I hardly use any of the accessories after I find my tips but besides the W2 having more tips I'll call it even. Oh, almost forgot, a potential biggie, the W2 don't sound very engaging with some badly produced music but the TF10 is almost always engaging(too much sometimes I'd argue) Haven't had problem with low bitrate files but most of my mp3s are at least 192 if not 320 and that's not too bad.

Testing environment: Straight out of iPod Classic 6th generation 80GB, mostly lossless files but a fair amount of 320kps and 192kps mp3. Listens to mostly laid back(read: non-metal or hardcore) rock, some country, classical, jazz and an occasional rap album or 2. Sorry but my vinyl player is with a friend so I can't test it out of my old school Yamaha amp...

Hope this helps you, personally I can't see how the W3 can be better, we will see soon...
"

Feb 8, 2010 at 1:12 AM Post #210 of 441
I should be receiving the W2 that I purchased from a member here the coming week, I'll definitely post my impressions of it in comparison to the UM3X.The UM3X is by far my most favourite IEM over the Shure SE530, Triple Fi 10 Pro and Westone 3 which I previosuly owned so it should be interesting

Users who are viewing this thread

Back