Wells Audio Milo - Impressions And Discussion Thread
Mar 18, 2017 at 6:55 PM Post #391 of 1,022
I'm running the LCD-4 with the Yggy and the Milo.  At first I was concerned that it was a bit bass light and excessive on the treble.  My issue was power quality causing hash in the upper treble.  After getting the PS Audio P3 and finally getting some clean power, I can say the Milo is beautifully balanced and manhandles the 4s as others have mentioned.  I'm coming from the Audio-gd Master 9 which was good, but not as refined as the Milo.  I've often wondered myself about the 4s with a tube amp, however I'm finally satisfied (for a while anyway).  Take the extra money you would have spent on the Studio Six and get a P3 (on sale for $1500 on music direct right now) if you don't already have clean power.

Certain houses have more problematic power than others. PS Audio does a great job, in comparison to many of the garbage power conditioners from other companies. Honestly, their lower-end models will really get the job done too. I just have a Duet and it fixed very ugly AC problems at my old apartment. That model is discontinued now, but you can get a PS Audio Dectet for $499, which will help with treble, bass, and dynamics and drop the noise floor on any amplifier.

I do also recommend getting nice power cables on either side of that, if you really want that last layer of refinement. I use a high current Pangea AC9-II to run to my Duet (beware, it's not very flexible, but it sounds fantastic) and a Wireworld Electra 7 to run to my amp, as it provides unrestrained dynamics, top-notch musicality, excellent clarity and exceptional refinement overall.

Improvements like this will have improvements on just about any high-end amplifier - though I feel it should be noted that the Wells Amps are far less finicky about power than some others. Cavalli gear, for example, is extremely sensitive to AC power.

Mar 18, 2017 at 7:02 PM Post #392 of 1,022
Certain houses have more problematic power than others. PS Audio does a great job, in comparison to many of the garbage power conditioners from other companies. Honestly, their lower-end models will really get the job done too. I just have a Duet and it fixed very ugly AC problems at my old apartment. That model is discontinued now, but you can get a PS Audio Dectet for $499, which will help with treble, bass, and dynamics and drop the noise floor on any amplifier.

I do also recommend getting nice power cables on either side of that, if you really want that last layer of refinement. I use a high current Pangea AC9-II to run to my Duet (beware, it's not very flexible, but it sounds fantastic) and a Wireworld Electra 7 to run to my amp, as it provides unrestrained dynamics, top-notch musicality, excellent clarity and exceptional refinement overall.

Improvements like this will have improvements on just about any high-end amplifier - though I feel it should be noted that the Wells Amps are far less finicky about power than some others. Cavalli gear, for example, is extremely sensitive to AC power.

Agreed that the Wells is less finicky - especially compared to the Master 9 that preceded it.  The hash I was having was more likely coming from the dirty power going to the Yggy which I find to be quite finicky.

Mar 19, 2017 at 11:15 PM Post #393 of 1,022
Yeah I've been looking for a decent power conditioner or regenerator but can't seem to decide one for under $1000. Unfortunately thats what we don't have: a thread just discussing power conditioners.

Mar 20, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #394 of 1,022
Yeah I've been looking for a decent power conditioner or regenerator but can't seem to decide one for under $1000. Unfortunately thats what we don't have: a thread just discussing power conditioners.
I have a Furman Elite 15PFi that is only a month old that I'd part with for $575 shipped in the US. That showed me what's possible with power conditioning and caused me to invest in the PS Audio. It's almost as good as the P3.

Mar 20, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #395 of 1,022
I have a Furman Elite 15PFi that is only a month old that I'd part with for $575 shipped in the US. That showed me what's possible with power conditioning and caused me to invest in the PS Audio. It's almost as good as the P3.

Anyone have experience with the PS Audio Dectet? Is it worth the money?

Mar 20, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #396 of 1,022
Anyone have experience with the PS Audio Dectet? Is it worth the money?

I have the Duet, which kind of a minimalist version of the Dectet (4 plugs on 2 isolated blocks instead of 10 isolated plugs) - IMO, it is stellar and really drops the noise floor to an astonishingly low level. It makes my old Furman power supply sound like a bad joke. I would absolutely recommend it.

Mar 20, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #397 of 1,022
I have the Duet, which kind of a minimalist version of the Dectet (4 plugs on 2 isolated blocks instead of 10 isolated plugs) - IMO, it is stellar and really drops the noise floor to an astonishingly low level. It makes my old Furman power supply sound like a bad joke. I would absolutely recommend it.

Thank you kindly.

Mar 20, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #398 of 1,022

If you ever take a look inside Furman stuff, compare it to even standard run-of-the-mill stuff from trip lite, you'll never buy their crap again.

Mar 20, 2017 at 5:41 PM Post #399 of 1,022
I've went ahead and created a thread where we can move this discussion too. It'll be healthy to have some recommendations on there!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/840715/power-conditioners-regenerators-lets-talk-about-clean-power#post_13358230

Mar 25, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #400 of 1,022
A question for all you Milo owners.  As I await my Milo's delivery I am wondering about volume control.  More specifically, how to set the volume from my iMac.  Does it matter what volume I set my computer to when it goes to my DAC and into The Milo?  Is there a limit for what the computers internal volume should be set at?  Does it make a difference to the sound of amp?  Does it change the quality of the sound being that my computers sound isn't as good?  Thanks in advance.  

Mar 25, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #401 of 1,022
I keep my PC volume at full and adjust with the Milo. Only if I had no real range of movement of the volume knob would I use the PC volume. That is just my personal opinion.

Mar 25, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #402 of 1,022
I keep my PC volume at full and adjust with the Milo. Only if I had no real range of movement of the volume knob would I use the PC volume. That is just my personal opinion.

Thank you.  I have my mac set at about 90% with my Deckard.  I have no idea if it helps or hurts, that is why I am asking.  Anxiously awaiting my Milo's arrival.  It will be Hanukkah in March or April when it arrives.  

Mar 25, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #403 of 1,022

I wanted to thank you for the help with cables.  I ended up getting a Moon Audio Silver Dragon USB and a Blue Dragon Interconnect.  They seem to be great, although I cannot put a figure to how much they are improving SQ.  I also got my first power conditioner, which I noticed a little darker background with.  Not huge changes, but each one seems to be helping incrementally.  

Mar 25, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #404 of 1,022
I wanted to thank you for the help with cables.  I ended up getting a Moon Audio Silver Dragon USB and a Blue Dragon Interconnect.  They seem to be great, although I cannot put a figure to how much they are improving SQ.  I also got my first power conditioner, which I noticed a little darker background with.  Not huge changes, but each one seems to be helping incrementally.  

Glad it worked out.

Mar 25, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #405 of 1,022
Glad it worked out.

So much fun seeing how each piece of the chain affects the outcome. I feel like I am just getting started.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back