Wells Audio Milo - Impressions And Discussion Thread
Mar 10, 2017 at 9:49 PM Post #361 of 1,022
The Musette seems to pair wonderfully with the Milo in my humble opinion.

That is great to hear.  I can't wait.  I have an Audeze Deckard now which has been great, but this will be another level.  My headphones deserve it.

Mar 11, 2017 at 12:14 AM Post #364 of 1,022
In what ways does Singularity-19 improve upon the DAC-19? I ask here because I'm curious about the pairing with the Milo specifically. I would also like to know how impact compares between the two... If it's not too much trouble.

The most notable thing for me, coming from the DAC-19 to the S19, is the S19 can resolve more detail from the music.  I can more easily locate instruments spacially and follow them in the mix.  Instrument decay seems more natural.  I have to consider this may be due to the improved processing capability of the S19 and the upgraded TCXOs I ordered with it and nothing to do with the R2R portion.  I'm using the Amanero USB input on both.

Impact is really the only area I feel the DAC-19 beats the S19.  I'm not so sure it's less impact so much as it's clearer, so it gives the appearance of the S19 being a bit thinner and less forward with bass.  Either way, I prefer the DAC-19 for impact.  Sometimes less is more.

Mar 11, 2017 at 12:30 AM Post #365 of 1,022
I've been reading how some consider the DAC-19 as warm, or at least, not the most neutral. The S19 has similar tonal character?

Mar 11, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #366 of 1,022
I've been reading how some consider the DAC-19 as warm, or at least, not the most neutral. The S19 has similar tonal character?

Yeah the DAC-19 has a warm character to the sound.  The S19 is neutral, although you can order it tuned to a warmer signature.  I think both flavors have their merits.

Mar 11, 2017 at 10:27 PM Post #367 of 1,022
As I await my Milo's arrival, I have a couple questions I hope the folks on this thread don't mind answering.  I am technologically challenged at times.  I will be using the Milo, Musette (both on way) and an iMac 2016.  What cables do I need?  My Audeze Deckard is dummy proof.  I could even figure it out.  One usb cable into my iMac and off to the races.

Thank you for the help.  I am in the weeds.

Mar 11, 2017 at 10:39 PM Post #368 of 1,022
As I await my Milo's arrival, I have a couple questions I hope the folks on this thread don't mind answering.  I am technologically challenged at times.  I will be using the Milo, Musette (both on way) and an iMac 2016.  What cables do I need?  My Audeze Deckard is dummy proof.  I could even figure it out.  One usb cable into my iMac and off to the races.

Thank you for the help.  I am in the weeds.

USB from Mac to Musette and RCA cables from Musette to Milo. The Musette does come with a USB cable, but I bought a better one.

Mar 11, 2017 at 10:49 PM Post #369 of 1,022
USB from Mac to Musette and RCA cables from Musette to Milo. The Musette does come with a USB cable, but I bought a better one.

Thank you, Thank you.  Much appreciated.  What USB & RCA are you using?

Mar 11, 2017 at 11:01 PM Post #371 of 1,022
Mar 12, 2017 at 12:25 AM Post #372 of 1,022
The most notable thing for me, coming from the DAC-19 to the S19, is the S19 can resolve more detail from the music.  I can more easily locate instruments spacially and follow them in the mix.  Instrument decay seems more natural.  I have to consider this may be due to the improved processing capability of the S19 and the upgraded TCXOs I ordered with it and nothing to do with the R2R portion.  I'm using the Amanero USB input on both.

Impact is really the only area I feel the DAC-19 beats the S19.  I'm not so sure it's less impact so much as it's clearer, so it gives the appearance of the S19 being a bit thinner and less forward with bass.  Either way, I prefer the DAC-19 for impact.  Sometimes less is more.

Thank you for the in-depth notes! Hmmm... I'm pretty emotionally attached to the bass-forwardness of the DAC-19. I definitely understand what you mean, having compared it to a bunch of other DACs now.

Mar 12, 2017 at 8:51 PM Post #374 of 1,022
+1. DanaCables have really transformed my system. I use them for everything now. I don't know what the heck he did with that USB, but it's out of this world.

Mar 12, 2017 at 9:23 PM Post #375 of 1,022
Hi Geoff-The best digital cables (USB, coaxial) that I have heard are easily the Dana Cables digital cables. 

Thanks Piper...:) much obliged...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back