weight gainer
Jul 24, 2005 at 8:56 PM Post #16 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by ampgalore
That's why hospitals give you people in alcohol withdrawal a banana bag that contains B1, folate, etc. Not only to supplement the vitamins, but also to prevent Wernicke's encephalopathy.

You're talking *****, trust me I know.

Jul 24, 2005 at 9:00 PM Post #19 of 65
Quote:

Whatever.

I just pointed it out for your benefit, not for the sake of arguing.

Spend less time searching Google and more time living.

All the best.

Mike.

Jul 24, 2005 at 9:05 PM Post #21 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
Spend less time searching Google and more time living.

All the best.

Mike.

Actually this thiamine thing was drilled into me by one of my professors. Since I don't really remember which book has this info, I just googled it.

Jul 24, 2005 at 9:31 PM Post #22 of 65
To offer another suggestion, the best tasting gainer i've found is chocolate Heavyweight Gainer 900. If you care about the nutrition facts there should be a tab at the link.

My favorite way to drink this one is to take 2C of milk and blend it with 10-12 ice cubes until you get a nice, consistent smootie-texture, then blend in the 4 scoops of powder, and a tablespoon or two of some good peanut butter and you're set. Sometimes i swap out a banana for the peanut butter, and getting a good texture will depend on your ice:milk ratio, blender, and blending time.

Hope you find something that works out for you, i know what it feels like to seemingly waste away (i dropped from nearly 180 to 160 since last october as my 5 month migraine made me drop crew, lifting and running).

Take care,
will

Jul 24, 2005 at 9:31 PM Post #23 of 65
Quote:

http://www.raytechcatalog.com/produc...ories-127.html

3600 Kcal, almost two days worth of energy in one little bag.

Butter, almost anything with butter in it will give you the calories.

Those Danish butter cookies, last time I checked 3 cookies give you 120kcal. Have a bite every now and then will surely pump you up.

I'm glad you aren't my GP
wink.gif

Jul 24, 2005 at 9:44 PM Post #24 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
I'm glad you aren't my GP
wink.gif

Quitting smoking and quitting drinking are two of the most difficult habits to kick. Actually moderate amounts of drinking is good for your health. The French live longer and lower incidences of heart attack compared to Americans. Some people attribute this to genetics, some to the French wine, and some to the French cheese.

Anyway, like what they say about apples, a glass of red wine a day keep the doctor away.

Now talking about calories, milk, pure unadulterated homogenized whole milk. Instead of drinking water, drink whole milk. That should add plenty of calories.

And chocolate, chocolate cake, chocolate rice pudding, or just plain pudding have lots of calories as well.

Beef plus potatos, that combo will pump you up. The key is to mix meat with starch, otherwise you'll lose weight just eating the meat.

Jul 24, 2005 at 10:44 PM Post #26 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by fyrfytrhoges
anyone here use this stuff? for various reasons ive lost quite a bit of weight and really need to gain some, no need to tell me to eat more, because thats part of the problem and i already know it. i was on gainer about 6 years ago when i was really working out hard weight lifting, cardio, bikes, etc. and hated it, tasted like cement. i took it for about six months and gained a whole five pounds. is there any decent tasting weight gainer that works? i already use a soy protein drink in the morning for vitamins, but i need pounds here, and fast, its getting to the point where im embarassed to go out in public..... most people tell me not to worry what others think, and for the most part i have never cared about other peoples opinions of me, but this is my personal opinion of my appearance and i need pounds, fast!

Hm, I'm sorry if I missed you intentions in a follow-up post, but I'm wondering if you are just trying to just gain "weight" (i.e. any gain in pounds be it fat or muscle is fine) or tack on muscle?

Jul 24, 2005 at 10:52 PM Post #27 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg
personally i'd rather be more concerned about getting toned, cut, and strong then putting on useless mass.

This may in fact mean losing weight.

So you want to look like a ambercrombie model?

Just lower your Body Fat to about 9%

Toned: 140 lbs@ 9% BF = Tons of Strength...RAWR!

Jul 24, 2005 at 11:01 PM Post #28 of 65
My goal isn't to be a stick, though i will have a 6 pack. I mentioned in the other thread, i started a very serious diet/weight training/cardio program 2 months ago. I won't mention my workout, yet i'll say i do nearly 2.5 hours of cardio a week, and i'm also on a 4 day split. Gopher helped me pickout my workouts actually.

Since, i've lost about 25 lbs, and went to about 15% body fat im only guessing. by the time i hit 175 i will be absolutely shredded.

I spent alot of time working up on the cardio, and watching what i eat, eating only 3 meals a day and keeping it on average under 1500 calories, though somedays even less in the begining to shrink my stomach. Since then i eat very well usually

oatmeal or granola for breakfest or Egg Whites (2) and turkey on toast.
Usually a piece of fruit or a cup of grape fruit juice

Lunch is usually 2 cans of albacore. Or possibly cold cuts no bread (maybe a wrap)

Dinner i eat alot of green vegetables, depending on if i'm home, at apartment i eat usually a spinache or heavy green salad with grilled Chicken.

I'll eat a few pieces of fruit afterwards though not everyday.

I'm not trying to put on weight like you guys, i'm already a fairly big man, i began this at about 205 lbs, i'm 5 10. I was over 20% body fat, prolly alot over, though i've had experience with weights in the past, just didn't really no what i was doing. Now i do everything and i'm very focused on my goals.

Jul 24, 2005 at 11:30 PM Post #29 of 65
first off, thanks to all for all the replies! regardless of what someone said about "the forum" not liking me, believe me i appreciate it.

second, i have been to the doctor and had a complete physical and total blood run and everything is normal with no signs of malnutrition.

third, i am not asking for medical advice on a headphone forum, i am asking for advice from people who have used weight gainer or from people who have had the same condition and needed to gain weight and suceeded it.

fourth, not to worry, this is not a sudden weight loss ie cancer or any other disease.

fifth, for the people who are telling me to eat more, i appreciate the advice, but that is the problem. i dont eat, period. and forcing myself to eat is not an option, i am not a force yourself to eat kind of person. the very notion of it makes me not want to eat even more. believe me, friends, family, etc. are constantly shoving food in my face and it pisses me off.

sixth, this weight loss is stress related and medication is not the answer. i would like to find a supplement ie weight gainer, to go along with whatever small quantity of food that i eat. in the last few days ben & jerrys has become my new religion, 1 pint a day for the last three days. mmmmm good! phish food and cherry garcia rule! pistachio gets a shot tonight.

and lastly, this is not to gain muscle, i am in good shape, play racquetball twice a week and have zero body fat, i just need to gain pounds period.

again i appreciate all the responses, they have given me several things to think about.

good luck on the alcohol stuff mike, i know its hard but you can do it. just remember, its for your own benefit and your body will thank you in the long run and youll be around longer so we can piss each other off for a long time on this forum!

THANKS TO ALL FOR THE REPLIES!

keep them coming.... paul

Jul 24, 2005 at 11:33 PM Post #30 of 65
The only advice i can give to you, in light of that comment is:

Really ask a nutrionist what is best to eat to gain weight, given your condition, not us. We aren't experts on that.

edit in:
Also sorry for carrying on about off topic stuff. I really didn't understand your problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back