weight gainer
Jul 24, 2005 at 11:42 PM Post #31 of 65
It sounds like you have a mental problem and need an anti-depressant medication, perhaps? Anorexia? Meant as advice, not attack.

Jul 24, 2005 at 11:55 PM Post #32 of 65
I second the notion on Mountain Dew.

Consuming a huge portion of fat (like from ice cream) may not necessarily make you gain alot of weight quickly. Fat digests slowly, and you would probably excrete out alot of the excess before metabolizing alot of it. Fat consumption also can increase your metabolism.

Soda, however, is pure sugar. High fructose corn syrup (HFCS), to be exact. America's weight problem mainly stems from soda consumption. HFCS is directly linked to obesity, pretty much. Alot of people lose weight just by switching from drinking soda to drinking water.

HFCS is not metabolized the same way as regular sugar. It doesn't make you feel full and satisfied, allowing you to drink more soda as opposed to sugar water. It does not suppress your appetite, so you can eat more solid foods in general.

Drink your soda if empty calories (and alot of body fat) are what you're looking for.

Jul 24, 2005 at 11:57 PM Post #33 of 65
ouch, "mental problem" that stung!

no offense taken, i do not want meds, ive been down that road before and if you have never experienced it, dont. its a road better not traveled no matter what many people say, in fact theres a guy on this forum who says something like i love my meds in his sig, i tell ya, thats nothing to be proud of. i understand that it helps some, but go on any drug related forum and youll quickly find out that more often than not drugs become a band aid for underlying problems and cause more problems in the long run than the good they do, they have their place but can often be just a way of covering up something rather than dealing with it head on. as an emt i have seen way too many cases of people who are taking multiple medications for anxiety, depression and all sorts of other behavioral problems and you wouldnt believe what a seemingly normal person can be reduced to after taking these meds for a long period of time, very sad. believe me, like i said, i was down that road once before and it was not a pleasant experience when i decided the numerous things i was given werent working. and as far as anorexia go, well, i guess its possible, but i think unlikely. i think that i just let day to day problems and past failures (im very hard on myself and what might not seem like a failure to most is a disaster to me) drag me down and i carry those like a ball and chain around my ankle.

Jul 24, 2005 at 11:59 PM Post #34 of 65
fyrfytrhoges, have you ever counted how many calories you consume in one day?

Jul 25, 2005 at 12:03 AM Post #35 of 65
from what ive learned though, high fructose corn syrup is not exactly good for you. isnt it something like saturated fats? caffeine is not on the top of my "to do" list though because i already have issues with sleep, although i guess if taken early enough in the day that may not be a factor. something to think about, thanks.

Jul 25, 2005 at 12:06 AM Post #36 of 65
no, because it would probably freak me out! what scares me the most about this whole thing is that my body has gotten so used to being deprived of food that i can go for over a day without eating (i dont do that all that frequently though) and still function normally, ie play racquetball etc. is it true that after long periods of time eating less that your stomach shrinks, because people have told me that. i know a fair amount about medical issues but ive never verified that with a doc or read anything about it.

Jul 25, 2005 at 12:18 AM Post #37 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by fyrfytrhoges
from what ive learned though, high fructose corn syrup is not exactly good for you. isnt it something like saturated fats? caffeine is not on the top of my "to do" list though because i already have issues with sleep, although i guess if taken early enough in the day that may not be a factor. something to think about, thanks.

It's not like high fructose corn syrup is chemically bad for your body. It's natural (not synthetic or anything -- it's just a blend of fructose and glucose), but it's just processed differently in your body. Saturated fats are more harmful, and your Ben and Jerry's ice cream is loaded up the wazoo with saturated fats
eek.gif

BTW, caffeine stimulates thermogenesis, which roughly means fat-burn.

Jul 25, 2005 at 12:19 AM Post #38 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
I second the notion on Mountain Dew.

Consuming a huge portion of fat (like from ice cream) may not necessarily make you gain alot of weight quickly. Fat digests slowly, and you would probably excrete out alot of the excess before metabolizing alot of it. Fat consumption also can increase your metabolism.

Soda, however, is pure sugar. High fructose corn syrup (HFCS), to be exact. America's weight problem mainly stems from soda consumption. HFCS is directly linked to obesity, pretty much. Alot of people lose weight just by switching from drinking soda to drinking water.

HFCS is not metabolized the same way as regular sugar. It doesn't make you feel full and satisfied, allowing you to drink more soda as opposed to sugar water. It does not suppress your appetite, so you can eat more solid foods in general.

Drink your soda if empty calories (and alot of body fat) are what you're looking for.

Don't do this...

Jul 25, 2005 at 12:20 AM Post #39 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg
My goal isn't to be a stick, though i will have a 6 pack. I mentioned in the other thread, i started a very serious diet/weight training/cardio program 2 months ago. I won't mention my workout, yet i'll say i do nearly 2.5 hours of cardio a week, and i'm also on a 4 day split. Gopher helped me pickout my workouts actually.

Since, i've lost about 25 lbs, and went to about 15% body fat im only guessing. by the time i hit 175 i will be absolutely shredded.

I spent alot of time working up on the cardio, and watching what i eat, eating only 3 meals a day and keeping it on average under 1500 calories, though somedays even less in the begining to shrink my stomach. Since then i eat very well usually

oatmeal or granola for breakfest or Egg Whites (2) and turkey on toast.
Usually a piece of fruit or a cup of grape fruit juice

Lunch is usually 2 cans of albacore. Or possibly cold cuts no bread (maybe a wrap)

Dinner i eat alot of green vegetables, depending on if i'm home, at apartment i eat usually a spinache or heavy green salad with grilled Chicken.

I'll eat a few pieces of fruit afterwards though not everyday.

I'm not trying to put on weight like you guys, i'm already a fairly big man, i began this at about 205 lbs, i'm 5 10. I was over 20% body fat, prolly alot over, though i've had experience with weights in the past, just didn't really no what i was doing. Now i do everything and i'm very focused on my goals.

I'm sorry, the fault is mine. I thought you would be one of those 135lbers whose split consisted of Monday-Friday Biceps/Chest/Triceps...

Jul 25, 2005 at 12:21 AM Post #40 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by MuZI
Don't do this...

Sure it's an unhealthy approach, but so is any form of quick weight/fat gain.

Jul 25, 2005 at 12:27 AM Post #41 of 65
Supplement Mountain Dew with once a day vitamins, I think the original poster is set for a good weight gain regimen.

Or just chocolate milk.

Don't drink water. Drink Mountain Dew, whole milk, grape juice, orange juice. I think you are set to go.

It doesn't matter if you don't want to eat, you still have to drink. So instead of eating it up, might as well drink it up.

A man can live almost 2 weeks without food. But a man will die in 3 days without water.

Jul 25, 2005 at 3:04 AM Post #42 of 65
If it makes you feel any better, there is some evidence from lab research that in animals anyway, a calorie restricted diet results in a longer life (significantly longer, if I remember right).

There was a very gaunt guy on TV talking about it who said he kept himself to a 1000 calorie a day diet for a while but was just too hungry and had to bump it up to 1200 or so. Some people do this on purpose because they figure it's a healthier lifestyle and/or will allow them to live longer.

Jul 25, 2005 at 3:36 AM Post #43 of 65
nah, doesnt make me feel any better. when you start to feel very embarassed about your appearance and youre not one of those care about what other people think people somethings wrong. for all i know i may be healthy, but i dont think so, but i look so damn skinny i cant stand it. ive always been skinny but not to this extent, imagine a 5'10" minute bol (sp?)

Jul 25, 2005 at 3:53 AM Post #44 of 65
In long term starvation, the body breaks down proteins and converts amino acids to glucose to keep the you going. Body organs are the major source of proteins. Prolonged starvation will slowly destroy your internal organs. You are literally eating yourself away (liver, intestines, heart, etc, although not neccessarily in that order).

Long term starved subjects will usually recover over time, but who knows what kind of irreversible long term damage has been inflicted upon your organs.

Jul 25, 2005 at 5:17 AM Post #45 of 65
I’m currently 5’7 and weigh just shy of 260lbs. I just started dieting 2 weeks ago and will hit my target of about 220lbs by snowmobiling season. Contest weight for me is about 198lbs but I no longer aspire to reach such an unhealthy body fat level. I’ve been weight training for over 22 years. In that period of time I've been the manager of a gym and a personal trainer. I'm currently employed as a defensive tactics instructor for a correctional center so fitness is still a big part of my life. Most people that I've trained want the opposite of you but I‘ve had success with the few that were too skinny and just wanted weight. Don't waste your money on weight gainers. The good ones are expensive and most have cheap fillers so your money is better spent on a good whey protein. Soy is better before bed because it is absorbed slower. In the morning you want whey because it is absorbed quicker and you just fasted for eight hours which puts your body is in a negative nitrogen balance. If this is prolonged you will enter a catabolic state and you will canablize your own muscle tissue. This would not be as true for someone eating a regular diet but if you don't take in many calories, which you have stated, it's a bigger issue for you. Make sure you at least take a multi vitamin to help supplement the nutrients you’re not getting and EFA’s (flaxseed oil) are a good idea when your calories are low. With the food that you do eat carbohydrates are the key to pure weight gain. Not just any carbs but carbs that are high on the glycemic index. Google “glycemic index” and find foods that you like which are high on the list. Try to keep your fat intake down but don’t try to cut it out all together. The reason for this is that fat retards the glycemic response which is why ice cream scores around the middle of the index. Yes too much ice cream can make you fat but you seem to have a problem with eating too much of anything. The advantage to high glycemic carbs are two fold in that your body will more often be in storage mode and anytime you spike your blood sugar it will be followed by a drop which can increase appetite. I don’t recommend you practice this for a long period of time because manipulating your insulin levels is not healthy but hopefully you will soon resolve the issues that are the cause of this weight loss. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back