weight gainer
Jul 24, 2005 at 4:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 65

fyrfytrhoges

Headphoneus Supremus
anyone here use this stuff? for various reasons ive lost quite a bit of weight and really need to gain some, no need to tell me to eat more, because thats part of the problem and i already know it. i was on gainer about 6 years ago when i was really working out hard weight lifting, cardio, bikes, etc. and hated it, tasted like cement. i took it for about six months and gained a whole five pounds. is there any decent tasting weight gainer that works? i already use a soy protein drink in the morning for vitamins, but i need pounds here, and fast, its getting to the point where im embarassed to go out in public..... most people tell me not to worry what others think, and for the most part i have never cared about other peoples opinions of me, but this is my personal opinion of my appearance and i need pounds, fast!

Jul 24, 2005 at 4:35 PM Post #2 of 65
It probably depends on what sort of weight you're trying to gain and what the issue is. I have a friend with an intestinal disease and his "normal" weight now is about 140 because a lot of what he eats just isn't absorbed. For someone like that where there's a physical metabolism issue, there may not be much to do. He eats like a horse and has tried weight gainers with little success.

If you go to GNC, you'll find a lot of weight gainers which are supposed to be used in conjunction with weight lifting. The idea is that they provide you with the proper stuff for building muscle mass along with the workout. If you're not looking for that but just looking to put more meat on your bones, you probably will just want to look for something with a lot of calories. I've seen a product which seems to be almost just flavored oil and was very heavy on fat and calories. It appeared to be for people who needed to maintain weight but couldn't/wouldn't eat solid foods, and I'm sure it tastes horrible (but probably works). "Eat more" is probably the happier solution, but a weight gainer product could be a more convenient way to get a concentrated dose of calories.

Jul 24, 2005 at 4:45 PM Post #3 of 65
eating is really my issue, for various reasons that i wont get into here. but i really need to put on pounds, im not looking for lean muscle mass or anything like that, just pounds. my exercise routine will ensure that i dont get fat, but i need extra weight. i dont like the idea of drinking something like castor oil, but if you can come up with a product name i will look into it, and if need be, i will choke it down!

Jul 24, 2005 at 4:54 PM Post #4 of 65
I would look into a blender and use fresh fruits, ice cream, ice, protein, peanut butter, juice, oats, and honey. This would be a much better combination than any weight gainer you can buy. And it will also taste a hell of a lot better.

The weight gainers at GNC are pretty much nothing more than protein with added sugar. Also without working out, weight gainers can contribute a lot of added fat and take longer to see results. Good Luck.

Jul 24, 2005 at 5:25 PM Post #5 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by fyrfytrhoges
anyone here use this stuff? for various reasons ive lost quite a bit of weight and really need to gain some, no need to tell me to eat more, because thats part of the problem and i already know it. i was on gainer about 6 years ago when i was really working out hard weight lifting, cardio, bikes, etc. and hated it, tasted like cement. i took it for about six months and gained a whole five pounds. is there any decent tasting weight gainer that works? i already use a soy protein drink in the morning for vitamins, but i need pounds here, and fast, its getting to the point where im embarassed to go out in public..... most people tell me not to worry what others think, and for the most part i have never cared about other peoples opinions of me, but this is my personal opinion of my appearance and i need pounds, fast!

If your trying gain fast, it's all going to be fat, unless your willing to put time into this, as well as a good nutrition, supplements, and are already very good shape (very low fat, like less then 12%) then bulking is a very bad idea for you.

I think before rushing into anything spend time researching on nutrition and body building websites.

If your a really experienced body builder, then there are alternatives that we don't even need to discuss here, and that's up to you (though i got no background or desire to try and help you with that kind of stuff, hint hint).
Frankly if that's the case you'd know more about it then i do.

Just an edit in,

You do realize depending on your current body size, there's only a certain amount of protein your body can handle since it's capability to break up the amino acids has a ceiling, i've read it's probably around a gram per pound , but i don't know. Don't over do protein since at a certain level you just urinate the rest out anyhow and it goes unused. Really spend enough time reading on this man.

Jul 24, 2005 at 5:57 PM Post #6 of 65
Quote:

eating is really my issue, for various reasons that i wont get into here. but i really need to put on pounds, im not looking for lean muscle mass or anything like that, just pounds. my exercise routine will ensure that i dont get fat, but i need extra weight. i dont like the idea of drinking something like castor oil, but if you can come up with a product name i will look into it, and if need be, i will choke it down!

You could try drinking Ensure (or one the various grocery generics), which is a high calorie 8oz can with a bunch of vitamins and protein, and virtually no saturated fat. If you drink two of the 'plus' versions, that's 700 extra calories a day. They don't taste all that bad, either (certainly not like weight gainer or gnc protein shakes).

Jul 24, 2005 at 6:28 PM Post #7 of 65
Yeah, just find food that delivers a lot of calories (good ones, of course) in a small amount and eat that. Don't stuff yourself all at one time, just keep your calorie consumption a decent amount above normal consistently. Stuffing yourself or starving yourself for weight gain/loss is the worst way to gain/lose weight. Personally, I would just keep eating a healthy diet and then add something extra at each meal to boost consumption. In the ideal world we'd be eating seven meals a day, but this world isn't ideal, so just do what you can.

Jul 24, 2005 at 6:42 PM Post #8 of 65
Peanut butter jelly sandwich.

Big Macs (and the Burger King equivalent).

Lots of potatos (fries, mashed potatos, potato salads, etc.).

Lots of pasta.

Deserts.

Icecream.

Almost forgot, Mountain Dew. Drink a 2L bottle of Mountain Dew per day will surely put the meat back on your bones. That stuff really works. AIDS patients usually are emaciated. But there was this one guy that was actually overweight. Guess what his secret was, Mountain Dew. He practically lived on that stuff.

Jul 24, 2005 at 6:43 PM Post #9 of 65
I had some GNC Gainer awhile back. It actually tasted really good (but then, as others have pointed out, it's mostly sugar), but it didn't do much for me. I put on all of 3 pounds in a month. My body fat is already low as it is (8-10%, I think. I've always been skinny), and it apparently takes a ton of calories for me to gain any weight.

Next thing I'm gonna try is lotsa peanut butter, and fruit smoothies. At least the calories will be a bit healthier.

Jul 24, 2005 at 7:14 PM Post #10 of 65
Quote:

I know how you feel fyrfytrhoges, I've lost around 1 & 1/2 stones over the past six months and have never gained a pound or lost a pound my entire life (until now) I was always 16 stone on the nail.

I've had to go up a notch on the belt to stop my trousers falling down and I don't feel at all good being this slim. I know the cause, I haven't been eating anywhere near as much as I used to and the mere thought of eating makes me feel ill. With me It's down to drinking a bit too much and the Doctor reckons my liver just isn't doing what it should be doing and most of what I do eat isn't reaching the parts of the body it should.

The only way I will be able to put weight on is to give the liver a rest and eat more and the only way I can do that is by removing the alcohol from my system for good. I start a home detox tomorrow which involves a reducing dose of Chlordiazepoxide and a bucket load of vitamin B tablets, according to the guy who runs the home detox service my appetite will return to normal within 4 days and the Vitamin B tablets help your appetite a lot apparantly so maybe you could start taking some too... even though your weight loss is probably not alcohol related they will help your appetite.

There's no way you should have to be "forcing" supplements down to regain weight fyrfytrhoges, you need to address the underlying causes and find out "why" you have lost so much weight and I'd strongly advise you visit your Doctor and discuss it with him / her. Sudden weight loss is concerning and usually indicates that something is not quite right.... whatever is causing you to lose weight needs to be addressed from the ground up and not by forcing a few dozen cans of Dunns River Nutrament down your neck every day.

You could be stressed and a sedative would help you to regain your appetite, there are so many possibilities and it's not a good idea to "ball park" your condition and recommend that you blend a pound of lard together with 4 dozen raw eggs and throw that concoction down your throat.... this is a Headphone forum, you need to visit your Doctor and get "his" advice. I did and he told me why I've lost so much weight and what I had to do to redress the problem and I've acted on it and will do my best to stick to the plan which goes into effect tomorrow morning, these guys will be visiting me daily at home medicating me and checking blood pressure etc. They'll be on hand for 3 months after the initial detox and I hope that in three months time I'm back to 16 stone.... I know the reason for my weight loss and how to remedy the situation..... you've got to get to the root of your weight loss and then you'll be in a position to do something about it... please don't force sugar, fat and carbohydrates into your system, address the root of the problem (It may be, and probably is, something simple).

I wish you all the best mate and I know how you feel re: weight loss / confidence drain. I'm a PM away if you ever feel the need to talk to a fellow thinny!

All the best Fyrfytrhoges.

Mike.

Jul 24, 2005 at 7:32 PM Post #11 of 65
Alcohol withdrawal is more dangerous than cocaine or heroin withdrawal. It can kill you if severe enough.

Vitamin B is not for improving appetite. It is to prevent brain damage.

Jul 24, 2005 at 7:39 PM Post #12 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
There's no way you should have to be "forcing" supplements down to regain weight fyrfytrhoges, you need to address the underlying causes and find out "why" you have lost so much weight and I'd strongly advise you visit your Doctor and discuss it with him / her. Sudden weight loss is concerning and usually indicates that something is not quite right.... whatever is causing you to lose weight needs to be addressed from the ground up and not by forcing a few dozen cans of Dunns River Nutrament down your neck every day.

Very good advice, Mike. This is my philosophy on a lot of things in life. I hope things work out for you.

I think one possibility people are overlooking, though, is that the problem eating might not really be the issue. For example, a lot of medications have a side effect of decreased appetite. We don't know the situation here (nor do we really need to).

I think using temporary solutions like GNC weight gainer are pretty useless, because if you don't keep up the increase in calories, you will very quickly lose whatever weight you put on. The only way to reliably change weight is to maintain an increase or a decrease in calories, plus modifying exercise. So, if you want to put on weight, you need to supplement your daily calorie intake. Other than eating more, eating high calorie, healthy snacks between meals is the best way to go. Granola bars, powerbars, or the drinks I suggested are easy and quick and are fairly easy to keep, imo. Small and consistent is the best way...

Jul 24, 2005 at 7:40 PM Post #13 of 65
BINGO!

number1sixerfan, and mjg are correct.

You should make your own weight gainer, go to forums.bodybuilding.com and search for weight gainers. Most of them have around 500-800 cals per serving with ATLEAST 25g protein and 40g Carbs.

Just remember, in order to gain weigh you need to eat more than your Basal Metabolic Rate!

For me that is a nice 3,200 calories...
rolleyes.gif

Jul 24, 2005 at 8:10 PM Post #14 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by ampgalore

Vitamin B is not for improving appetite. It is to prevent brain damage.

It's neither, Alcohol interferes with the absorption of this water based vitamin... as simple as that. Vitamin B does not "repair" brain damage.

Alcohol breaks the serotonin bridge in the brain which can be rebridged with Linoleic acid (corn oil) Linoleic acid (a tablespoon of corn oil, safflower oil, Flaxseed Oil etc.) per day. It will never be fully repaired but corn oil is to the brain what vitamin B is to the liver.

Mike.

Jul 24, 2005 at 8:24 PM Post #15 of 65
From Merck's manual

Thiamine deficiency (B1)

Cerebral beriberi (Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome) results from severe acute deficiency superimposed on chronic deficiency (see Amnesias in Ch. 169). Mental confusion, aphonia, and confabulation constitute the early stage, called Korsakoff's syndrome. Cerebral blood flow is markedly reduced and vascular resistance increased. Wernicke's encephalopathy consists of nystagmus, total ophthalmoplegia, coma, and, if untreated, death.

That's why hospitals give you people in alcohol withdrawal a banana bag that contains B1, folate, etc. Not only to supplement the vitamins, but also to prevent Wernicke's encephalopathy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back