WEE - new product from Woo Audio
Jul 12, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #152 of 211
Quote:
I also want to know how is WEE compared with SRD-7?

The WEE is clearly better than my SRD-7 Mk2 and SRD-7 Pro.  I thought I posted impressions here.

Jul 15, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #154 of 211
Guys please ignore my ignorance about the electrostatic technology but I am looking for a power amp solution to use it with Woo Wee. Would my Lyr be a good choice to pair with the Wee for Stax?

If not, I am at a loss to find a good tube speaker amp without breaking the bank. What have you guys found as good solutions and pairing with your Wee. I assume the whole point of getting a Wee is not to pay more money for the regular STAX amps/drivers and I am curious to find out what my options are out there. If I can use my Lyr with Wee that would be an awesome thing because I can use it to drive both my Hifimans and also feeding the Wee.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Jul 15, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #155 of 211
You definitely want an amp with speaker terminals.

You may want to look into a SS amp. I have an Alesis RA150 (<$200) that I use to drive HE6/K1000. I would like to add a WEE to that at some point. You could always add a tube stage or tube preamp later.

Aug 21, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #156 of 211
Quote:
You definitely want an amp with speaker terminals.

You may want to look into a SS amp. I have an Alesis RA150 (<$200) that I use to drive HE6/K1000. I would like to add a WEE to that at some point. You could always add a tube stage or tube preamp later.

Thanks grokit. I have another question. I now own a pair of 404LE and am driving them with SRM-1/MK-2. Now I have several options on my mind.

First is getting something like this : http://www.ebay.com/itm/Music-Curve-2020-EL34-x-4-Valve-Tube-Integrated-Amplifier-110v-/290708858969?pt=US_Home_Audio_Amplifiers_Preamps&hash=item43af992859 and then the Woo WEE

or Woo Audio GES

Is the first option (Speaker amp + WEE) an upgrade from an oldie like the SRM-1/MK2?

Also any comparisons between the two Woos, GES and WEE ? GES with all the upgrades seems a bit too high for me in terms of price so that's why I am leaning towards a nice Chinese tube amp plus the WEE.

Any input is appreciated.

Aug 21, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #157 of 211
That is an impressive looking tube amp. However, as far as anything electrostatic goes, I am only speculating as I have not heard the gear (WES, WEE, SRM) in question. All I was saying earlier is that my system seems well-suited for trying a WEE with it so that I could then try an electrostatic headphone.

Aug 21, 2012 at 7:05 PM Post #158 of 211
I had 404's, a SRM-1/MK-2, and a WEE, all at the same time.  I found that SS amps worked best with the WEE.  I did indeed try adding a tube pre-amp (12AU7 based, and I used great tubes) but did not hear an improvement.  I also did not hear any "better"-type difference between the SRM-1/MK-2 and the WEE.  They didn't sound the same, they both sounded fine.  I preferred the SRM-1/MK-2 with 404s over the WEE.  I had friends who felt the other way.

Unless the caps are all dried up on the SRM-1/MK-2, I for one do not believe you will think you spent your money wisely if you ditch the SRM-1/MK-2 for a "nice Chinese tube amp plus the WEE".

I think Woo Audio makes great stuff, and their high-end amps sound fantastic.  But I have to call this "upgrade" as I see it -- not an upgrade.

Save you money and someday buy 009 + a great tube amp designed for it.  That difference you will hear.  Heck, that difference you will feel, fall for, and weep over.

Aug 21, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #159 of 211
Quote:
I had 404's, a SRM-1/MK-2, and a WEE, all at the same time.  I found that SS amps worked best with the WEE.  I did indeed try adding a tube pre-amp (12AU7 based, and I used great tubes) but did not hear an improvement.  I also did not hear any "better"-type difference between the SRM-1/MK-2 and the WEE.  They didn't sound the same, they both sounded fine.  I preferred the SRM-1/MK-2 with 404s over the WEE.  I had friends who felt the other way.

Unless the caps are all dried up on the SRM-1/MK-2, I for one do not believe you will think you spent your money wisely if you ditch the SRM-1/MK-2 for a "nice Chinese tube amp plus the WEE".

I think Woo Audio makes great stuff, and their high-end amps sound fantastic.  But I have to call this "upgrade" as I see it -- not an upgrade.

Save you money and someday buy 009 + a great tube amp designed for it.  That difference you will hear.  Heck, that difference you will feel, fall for, and weep over.

Thank you so much. This was the kind of info I needed to hear.

Have you had a chance to listen to Woo GES? I have always been in the Ortho and Dynamics world so I don't really know what to look for in the world of electrostatic amps.

I don't think I want to jump to 009 right away :) I'd like to hear the 007s first and get an idea about what they're like. That being said, do you think SRM-1/MK-2 is good enough for the upper Stax models like the 007 and even the 009 or will I have to buy Blue Hawaii to enjoy them?

Aug 21, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #160 of 211
I have heard the Woo GES at several meets.  It is fantastic.

The SRM-1/MK-2 is NOT good enough to drive the 007 to full capacity.  I have 007 Mk 1 and Mk 2 and both can go way beyond what the SRM-1/MK-2 can provide.  Even the 717 and the KGSS do not fully drive the 007s.  (I don't have 009's so I can't comment, but I can't imagine the story is any different).

Kerry lent me his BHSE.  The difference it makes vs the solid state stax amps is NOT subtle.  Kerry is building me a BHSE.  It is a 7-year project, and we are only in Year 4.  Last night we discussed some esoteric metal finishing options.  We'll probably never compete it.  I've been brushing up on vibrational mechanics to design the damping feet.  MD1032 is helping -- we have an Excel model of the spring displacement and the Sorbothane deformations.  We use an electonic martini mixer to provide vibration, and the iPhone vibration meter app to measure it.  Of course we are listening to music and drinking the mixed martinis as we do this.

Back to audio ...

A superb Lundahl transformer box CAN drive the 007s with the right amp.  I have had units built by AudioCats and by Spritzer on loan -- amazing.  These were VERY costly to build, I am told.  I will eventually own the Spritzer box after Kerry, who has it now, does whatever it is he plans to do with it.

Yes, look for used 007s Mk1 or Mk2 if you don't want to go all the way for 009s.  Many people prefer Mk1 but I like them both -- listen at meets.  There are many fine high-power amps for them: BHSE of course, but also Woo as we said, and RSA too -- I have heard these with 007s at meets and loved them.  It is all taste and preference -- you have to audition.

Aug 21, 2012 at 8:59 PM Post #161 of 211
I enjoyed reading your response, especially the martinis part :)

So would you say that the Woo GES would be good enough for either 007s? If I have to spend more than 2 grands for an amp for the 007s, I might as well stop at the Lambdas, if you know what I mean.

Aug 21, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #162 of 211
The 007's are magic.  I have Lambda's too -- they sit in a box.  Get used 007's.

On to amps:

You MUST listen to the amps at a meet or someone's house.

I think most people would say you need the WES, not the GES, to get the most out of the O2's.  But I have heard GES + O2 and it is terrific.  Some say equal to KGSS, I would say better.  But not equal to the very top tier, as you understand ... comes at a high price.

Read this whole thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/546286/some-impressions-on-the-stax-o2-and-hd800-with-woo-ges-and-wa6se

Spot on topic.  Plus, the OP lays out all your amp choices in one of his posts.  And he had the same budget comment you made.

Oct 27, 2014 at 8:40 AM Post #163 of 211
Hi All, Thought I would ressurect this thread regarding a question on the Woo Wee ! In the online Wee manual it shows the the "+" terminals both for the connection to the speaker amp and to the speakers in the middle and the "-" terminals on the end. On the Wee itself it shows the red terminals on the end and the black terminals in the middle. Which one is correct as my integrated speaker amp (Chord Electronics Cyan Click) has red for "+" or right channel and black for "-" or left channel. This also goes for the RCA non balanced and XLR balalnced connections i.e. red for right channle and black for left channel.

Oct 28, 2014 at 1:40 AM Post #164 of 211
Hi All, Thought I would ressurect this thread regarding a question on the Woo Wee ! In the online Wee manual it shows the the "+" terminals both for the connection to the speaker amp and to the speakers in the middle and the "-" terminals on the end. On the Wee itself it shows the red terminals on the end and the black terminals in the middle. Which one is correct as my integrated speaker amp (Chord Electronics Cyan Click) has red for "+" or right channel and black for "-" or left channel. This also goes for the RCA non balanced and XLR balalnced connections i.e. red for right channle and black for left channel.

RED is positive terminal and BLACK is negative terminal on WEE.  We will update the manual in the morning.  :)

Oct 28, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #165 of 211

RED is positive terminal and BLACK is negative terminal on WEE.  We will update the manual in the morning.  :)

Thank you HiFiGuy528.   Much appreciated. 

Best Regards,
BJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back