WEE - new product from Woo Audio
Dec 14, 2011 at 12:16 AM Post #136 of 211
Really.  Isn't the KGSS good?

Quote:
I have enjoyed using the WEE. I wouldn't want to be without it. Given good amps, it bettered my KGSS. I also hooked up my K1K to the speaker terminals allowing me to alternate between my Stax and Jades with the K1K. It was GREAT! IMHO, this is a no brainer product to own if you have the need for it. It's relatively inexpensive and sonically is extremely good; this being somewhat dependent on amplifiers used. I employed a pair of Aragon Palladiums and it was magical. To beat this you need some serious electrostatic amps of which only a handful are in current production and most above the $5K range.

Dec 14, 2011 at 2:35 AM Post #137 of 211

Quote:
I have enjoyed using the WEE. I wouldn't want to be without it. Given good amps, it bettered my KGSS. I also hooked up my K1K to the speaker terminals allowing me to alternate between my Stax and Jades with the K1K. It was GREAT! IMHO, this is a no brainer product to own if you have the need for it. It's relatively inexpensive and sonically is extremely good; this being somewhat dependent on amplifiers used. I employed a pair of Aragon Palladiums and it was magical. To beat this you need some serious electrostatic amps of which only a handful are in current production and most above the $5K range.

With my ZDT amp pushing it the WEE comes closer to my KGSS and WES than I would have expected, but still can't match them.  Still, it does a very good job and is noticeably better than my SRD-7 Mk2 or SRD-7 Pro transformer boxes.  It drives the SR-009 more powerfully than the 007 or HE-60, but then again the SR-009 seem to play louder than those at the same setting on the volume knob with any of my amps (easier to drive).  With SR-007 I can max out my ZDT at volumes that are a little higher than normal listening, and normal listening is with the ZDT volume at 1-3 o'clock (8-watt into 8 ohm).  I can turn the volume down an hour or two on the volume when using the SR-009.

For someone who already owns a world class speaker amp, the WEE is a good way to drive their stats.  I would recommend at least 8-watts, but 15 or more would be better.  If one doesn't already have a world class speaker amp and stats will be the primary headphones, then buying a dedicated stat amp may be a better choice.  The GES probably drives the O2 Mk1 as loudly as the ZDT>WEE does, but it's half the cost of the ZDT>WEE and can offer better micro-detail with a good set of tubes (i.e. Telefunken Smooth Plate 12AX7).  Someday I'll try the 40 watt Marantz 2240 with the WEE, and maybe I'll like that a whole lot more.

Dec 14, 2011 at 11:00 AM Post #138 of 211
"Isn't the KGSS good?"

The KGSS is VERY good but realize I'm running extremely good amplifiers with the Wee with separate power supplies, etc,etc. The KGSS isn't quite able to keep up with the Aragon monoblocs but there is not a night and day difference. I am happy with both with the KGSS being more convenient as I don't tie up my speaker amps to listen to headphones. But for that last bit of sonic extraction the monoblocs seem to slightly edge out the KGSS. Now if one is going with a top of the line Blue Hawaii, Ray Samuels, Woo Audio or other related amp I don't doubt that those would likely trump the use of the Wee as there is some limitation due to the Wee transformers.

Dec 14, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #140 of 211

Quote:
With my ZDT amp pushing it the WEE comes closer to my KGSS and WES than I would have expected, but still can't match them.  Still, it does a very good job and is noticeably better than my SRD-7 Mk2 or SRD-7 Pro transformer boxes.  It drives the SR-009 more powerfully than the 007 or HE-60, but then again the SR-009 seem to play louder than those at the same setting on the volume knob with any of my amps (easier to drive).  With SR-007 I can max out my ZDT at volumes that are a little higher than normal listening, and normal listening is with the ZDT volume at 1-3 o'clock (8-watt into 8 ohm).  I can turn the volume down an hour or two on the volume when using the SR-009.

For someone who already owns a world class speaker amp, the WEE is a good way to drive their stats.  I would recommend at least 8-watts, but 15 or more would be better.  If one doesn't already have a world class speaker amp and stats will be the primary headphones, then buying a dedicated stat amp may be a better choice.  The GES probably drives the O2 Mk1 as loudly as the ZDT>WEE does, but it's half the cost of the ZDT>WEE and can offer better micro-detail with a good set of tubes (i.e. Telefunken Smooth Plate 12AX7).  Someday I'll try the 40 watt Marantz 2240 with the WEE, and maybe I'll like that a whole lot more.

Great explanation Larry; I would venture to say the WA5>WEE would be great synergy having the same wiring/design topology.

Mar 28, 2012 at 7:47 AM Post #144 of 211

Woo Audio WEE - Issues! [ALSO POSTED IN THE MAIN STAX THREAD]

I haven't contributed much here despite lurking for a long time, but thought it would be useful to share my WOO experiences and to ask for any help the forum could give. I paid for a WEE with normal and pro bias sockets back in December. The first unit I received had something seriously wrong and buzzed loudly, so it went back across the Atlantic (I'm in the UK) and was 'repaired'. The repaired unit still hummed (but much more quietly) and following an exchange with Jack eventually went back a second time, when I was told Woo could detect no fault. It's now finally back in the UK and the issue is as follows:

I have no hum from any other equipment (Stax 4070, 407, and original Lambda, SRM-T1S and SRD 7 Mk2)
Woo WEE hums from pro bias port (loudest on 407, and only slightly audible on the less sensitive 4070)
Woo WEE hums when connected to sources and when running completely by itself
Hum is not volume dependent and is a harmonic of 50Hz power
Hum only happens when the bias circuit is on

I have tried the unit in three different locations and think it may have been quieter in one, so do wonder whether there is a mains issue to which it is super sensitive...

Woo will not help any further at this point (and have treated me like some sort of idiot, which doesn't seem very characteristic). I am a professional musician with 25+ years of recording experience and have never had a problem with my audio gear... 

Any advice would be very welcome!

Mar 29, 2012 at 5:00 AM Post #145 of 211
That sucks, first time I've read anything negative about the WEE, or even Woo actually.

Did you try more than one amp with it? Anyways free bump, hope it helps.

Mar 29, 2012 at 7:55 AM Post #147 of 211
You might try posting in the general Woo thread, perhaps the British power grid is too noisy or something. And maybe there's a fellow countryman that has solved the issue.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/428570/woo-audio-amp-owner-unite/1

May 15, 2012 at 8:51 AM Post #149 of 211
So, has anyone played with the WA5+WEE+007 combo?

Now that I have a WA5, I am thinking of trying my hand at stats again. If anyone has any impressions, along with comparisons to other stat amps (WES/BHSE/etc) I would be much obliged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back