WEE - new product from Woo Audio
Oct 13, 2010 at 3:55 PM Post #106 of 211
1:  Not very likely.  I've been sent a few and none had one.  

2:  The Sennheiser cable is pretty poor and the only real alternative would be the Stax Wide PC-OCC cable.  None of the dynamic aftermarket cables would work nor would I let those hacks come close to anything with more than 30V flowing through it.  Most of them don't know how to solder let alone deal with 600V+.  That said I wouldn't even think about swapping out the cable on the HE60 since there is no way you could properly secure it.  There is very limited room to fix the cable in place so outside of a custom molded strain relief I can't see any good way to pull it off.  It would also just take one hard knock on the cable to rip the metal contacts out of the drivers, completely destroying them. 

3:  I have no idea who could make one for you. 

Oct 27, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #107 of 211
Any updates/impressions on the WEE?  Have these started shipping out to the first batch yet?

Oct 27, 2010 at 10:15 PM Post #109 of 211
Mine was delivered today.
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 28, 2010 at 8:11 PM Post #111 of 211
Well, I finally got to open the box. Interestingly, this little unit weighs in at about 15 pounds. It's cosmetics are very nicely done; simple yet elegant. The lettering on the front is the same color as the chassis so it is a little difficult to see. On the other hand, you only have one switch to use with two positions so it shouldn't be too difficult to remember to keep it in the 12:00 position for headphones and the 11:00 position for speakers (Jack points out in an included sheet to always have speakers hooked up before you turn the dial to the speaker mode). There is also a nice little diagram of the front clearly noted on the top of the unit.

I will plan to play with it this weekend and compare it to my KGSS and STAX SRD-7/Mk2.

I do have a question; does an electrostatic energizer require burn in time?

Oct 29, 2010 at 10:56 PM Post #112 of 211
For a couple of nice pics (not mine) scroll down on the following link:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/504489/woo-audio-electrostatic-energizer-new-product-from-woo-audio/30#post_7023805

Oct 31, 2010 at 7:46 PM Post #113 of 211
WEE REVIEW

I did a little testing. As usual YMMV but here is my two cents worth.

Equipment used/tested:

WOO WEE
Jade Electrostatic Headphone ( I foolishly loaned my Stax O2Mk2 to a friend and was not able to incorporate them into the listening sessions)
Aragon Palladium Monoblocs (last version)
HeadAmp KGSS
Stax SRD-7 Mk2 (with speaker switch bypassed)
AKG K1000
Wright 2A3 monoblocs
Other support equipment: CARY 306 SACD player, Sonic Euphoria passive preamp, Acoustic Zen balanced cables except with the Wright 2A3 then  single ended used.
Musical selections used: Bela Fleck-Flight of the Cosmic Hippo, Tom Waits-Saving All My Love For You, Lyle Lovitt-I've Been to Memphis, Eva Cassidy-Over the Rainbow.

Basically, I ABed everything to compare different setups. I compared the K1K with and without the WEE and the Jades in different configurations as noted below.The results are as follows:

First Place Winner: Jades with the WEE connected to the Palladiums. This gave the best overall presentation with excellent bottom end and midrange, very good soundstaging, and the wonderful detail. The upper range was ever so slightly edgy but I think that was more of a function of my Jades not being completely burned in. I think it would have been perfect with the STAX headphones that I didn't have.

Second Best: Jade with the KGSS. Slightly less detail and perhaps a little congested on complex parts. Actually, this was a great combination but I can help but think that the Aragons gave the edge to the WEE by a reasonable amount. If one doesn't have a fairly good amp/monoblocs then the KGSS is a wonderful headphone amp to have.

Third Place: Jade with the SRD-7/MK2. More congested, less detail. The SRD-7/MK2 is a good starting place for use with the electrostatic headphone as is dictated by one's budget. Once one has a fairly good amplifier the WEE is a no brainer.

Last place: The Jade with the WEE and the Wright 2A3. I only tried this combination to see if the 2A3 (3.5 watts/channel) had enough power to drive the Jades. The volume had to be at about 3:00 for reasonable listening. It wasn't bad but definitely underpowered. What this tells me is that the 300B may work reasonably well with the WEE, or even extremely well and especially with a higher output EL34/KT88 etc amp.

AKG K1000 Headphones:
It was great to be able to use my electrostatic headphones and then with the flick of a switch on the WEE, use my AKG K1Ks by hooking them up to the speaker terminals on the WEE.

I was curious as to if the WEE would impart a sonic signature to the K1Ks so I tried the headphones with the WEE and then direct to monoblocs.
I did not detect any obvious contribution of the WEE to the sound and would be hard pressed to tell if there was a difference.

So, there you have it as far as my initial impressions. The WEE does what Jack intended and does it very well. If you do not care, or your budget does not allow you, to have a dedicated electrostatic amp AND you have a good stereo amplifier or monoblocs I see no reason not to seriously consider the WEE. It delivers!

Nov 1, 2010 at 2:38 PM Post #118 of 211
Actually, maybe we should just avoid double posting?  This thread is the sponsored one -- the other is the members'.  I posted only in the members thread, not this one.

Perhaps the protocol could be: MOTs announce in their own sponsored thread.  We comment etc.  But once the gear is in the wild and we start to review, a new thread should be created and all subsequent posts go there.

Just a suggestion ...

Nov 14, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #119 of 211
I'm new to electrostatic setups, just received my first - SR-507 / SRM-007tII.  I'm anxious to see how the Leben CS300xs speaker output plus WEE compares to the SRM-007tII.

I'm not technical, but from what I gather the amps voltage peak-to-peak spec is key when determining how well a electrostatic amp matches with headphones. Example, WES and BHSE I believe are capable of 1200 v peak-to-peak, which apparently is what the SR-007MK2 needs to really shine.  I'm not sure what the peak-to-peak spec is for the SRM-007tII or GES, does anyone know?  

Also, does anyone know what the peak-to-peak requirement is to make the SR-507 sing?  

Also, does anyone know what the WEE peak-to-peak spec is?  

Also, how important is the Frequency response, I notice the WEE is 15 Hz - 26 KHz, the SR-507 is 7 - 41 KHz and the SRM-007tII is DC - 100KHz and the Leben CS300XS is 15 - 100KHz.  Is the WEE going to audible cripple things when placed in the middle of the Leben and SR-507, or are these spec outside what we hear ?  My source is a Audio Research DAC8, .5Hz - 90 KHz + 0 -3 dB.

Or, do I have this all wrong?

thanks

Jan 18, 2011 at 9:54 AM Post #120 of 211
Anyone else got one of these yet?

Perhaps matched with 4070's?

L

Users who are viewing this thread

Back