We know your headphones... but what about your speakers?
Mar 25, 2007 at 5:40 PM Post #229 of 290
I think the stands are Sonus Faber ones.

Congrats with the new speakers! Sonus Faber make such wonderfully good sounding and looking speakers. I've listened to the Amati, Cremona and Cremona Auditors and they all strike me as surprisingly organic sounding. Nothing really jumps out at you as unnatural or artificial.

I also like your Pathos Classic One. iirc, it's an integrated right? My uncle has one driving a pair of Apogee ribbon/planars and boy does it sing!

What's your next target? A pair of Guarneris? Don't you just love the gloss on the Homage series
very_evil_smiley.gif
!?

Mar 25, 2007 at 8:21 PM Post #230 of 290
Currently using a pair of Energy Veritas 2.2i, with an entry level Marantz CD5400 and a Cambridge Audio 640A. I think I've kind of hit the wall where entry level ends and and mid to hi-fi starts. Unfortunately, I can't justify any upgrades, since they would need to be fairly substantial, and it's hard to audition anything in my neck of the woods. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears....

BTW, some phenomenal setups in this thread. Hope you're all spending lots of quality time enjoying them!

Mar 25, 2007 at 8:33 PM Post #231 of 290
The stands are specific for the Cremona Auditors. Right now I am completely broke so I don't plan on buying anything else. I will only try to get some new tubes for the Pathos Classic One cause they say it sounds much better with better tubes. You are right its an integrated amp and it matches quite well with the Auditors (not that I have heard them with many other amps
icon10.gif
). In the very far future I think I might get a sub woofer cause the base isnt as deep as my HD650 and I miss it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the stands are Sonus Faber ones.

Congrats with the new speakers! Sonus Faber make such wonderfully good sounding and looking speakers. I've listened to the Amati, Cremona and Cremona Auditors and they all strike me as surprisingly organic sounding. Nothing really jumps out at you as unnatural or artificial.

I also like your Pathos Classic One. iirc, it's an integrated right? My uncle has one driving a pair of Apogee ribbon/planars and boy does it sing!

What's your next target? A pair of Guarneris? Don't you just love the gloss on the Homage series
very_evil_smiley.gif
!?

Mar 25, 2007 at 8:57 PM Post #232 of 290
Finally got things cleaned up enough to make my humble abode safe to take pictures I can show on here. Same gear as mentioned before, Nikko NA-890 amp into Dahlquist M-907 speakers. Nothing impressive to look at compared to modern hi-fi speakers, but man do they sound good.

Mar 25, 2007 at 9:42 PM Post #233 of 290
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimitris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The stands are specific for the Cremona Auditors. Right now I am completely broke so I don't plan on buying anything else. I will only try to get some new tubes for the Pathos Classic One cause they say it sounds much better with better tubes. You are right its an integrated amp and it matches quite well with the Auditors (not that I have heard them with many other amps
icon10.gif
). In the very far future I think I might get a sub woofer cause the base isnt as deep as my HD650 and I miss it.

congrats on your SF! You can certainly buy a spkr at this price that sounds better, but nothing I mean nothing looks as impressive and feels as expensive as SF spkr. I can not imaging another spkr that's better looking than SF Cre Aud or Guri. well, actually I think Strat and Amati are the better looking ones
wink.gif

Sound = class B+, Look/Feel = class A++++++++++++++++++++++

worth every penny!
wink.gif

One thing about sub: be very very careful. There are things you can do to have better bass such as better power cable, better amp, better CDP/Srouce, move the spkr around, spkr isolation. I would do all those things waay before buying a sub.

Mar 25, 2007 at 9:52 PM Post #234 of 290
Thanks!I think I will try some new power cables for the source and the amp and new tubes as well. Also I will try moving them closer to the wall to bump up the base a bit. I dont have any money left so moving them around is fairly inexpensive (besides bill for the doctor).
icon10.gif

Mar 25, 2007 at 10:01 PM Post #235 of 290
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One thing about sub: be very very careful. There are things you can do to have better bass such as better power cable, better amp, better CDP/Srouce, move the spkr around, spkr isolation. I would do all those things waay before buying a sub.

I don't really believe that any tweak or upgrade is going to fill in the bottom end of a non-floorstander like a quality sub can. Getting a small 8" cube and setting it to 80htz, should be a nice compliment to these speakers. Of course the sub would have to be of equal quality to the SF's or else it's a moot point.

Mar 25, 2007 at 11:05 PM Post #238 of 290
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimitris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh man!More expenses!
icon10.gif
The Zu mini Method sub is discounted online.
icon10.gif

check out HSU Research. top-notch subs for a low price. you'd be spending more on performance and less on the amazingly sexy Zu Cable look. i'm sure it's a great sub but you'd probably get more performance out of a proven good budget subwoofer rather than a subwoofer designed to pair with a specific loudspeaker. this is coming from a guy who's dream rig is Zu Druids + 2 mini Methods for stereo bass down to 20hz btw.

note: also i know that "stereo bass down to 20hz" is ridiculous since you really only feel bass down there anyways.

Mar 25, 2007 at 11:32 PM Post #239 of 290
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't really believe that any tweak or upgrade is going to fill in the bottom end of a non-floorstander like a quality sub can. Getting a small 8" cube and setting it to 80htz, should be a nice compliment to these speakers. Of course the sub would have to be of equal quality to the SF's or else it's a moot point.

Personally speaking, I went from audition an REL sub to not having a sub, the difference made with a new power cable, CDP, and line conditioner was enough to satisfy me. I use SPL meter to measure the sound level, while I still get pretty rolled off 30hz, 35-40hz is not alot more usable and 40hz is pretty strong, where before 40hz is at least 3-4db lower. YMMV as always.

Mar 26, 2007 at 12:34 AM Post #240 of 290
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
check out HSU Research...

Stevieo bought one and swears by it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert
the difference made with a new power cable, CDP, and line conditioner was enough to satisfy me.

Which speakers were/are you using?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back