We know your headphones... but what about your speakers?
Mar 9, 2007 at 12:51 AM Post #211 of 290
Well I finally got to hear my new folded horns. They are called A126s, and use a 4" Fostex full range driver and the horn is in total about 3' high.
I am driving them with my pioneer receiver for now, there is a SET amp in the works.
Best audio experience iv had so far.
-greg

Mar 9, 2007 at 5:07 AM Post #214 of 290
I just ordered a pair of Cremona Auditors on Audiogon.
icon10.gif

Mar 12, 2007 at 1:21 AM Post #218 of 290
Quote:

Originally Posted by phergus_25 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DSCF0401.jpg

For now they are run with my Pioneer SD5200

-greg

Where does one go to learn to do this sort of thing?

Mar 12, 2007 at 1:31 AM Post #219 of 290
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mike, what is it with you and ridiculously big badass amps?
blink.gif

lots of room for caps and transformers. Lots of juice! Just what you want for detailed and controled yet punchy sound.

Mar 12, 2007 at 3:16 AM Post #220 of 290
Quote:

Originally Posted by JSTpt1022 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where does one go to learn to do this sort of thing?

DIYaudio.com -> loudspeakers -> fullrange

They were a really cool project and a great learning experiance.

I am not using my tube hp amp as a pre for the speakers after I rearranged my room to be speaker friendly.

DSCF0425.jpg

Mar 22, 2007 at 2:48 AM Post #221 of 290
In addition to sound and aesthetics I like to support small companies when I can. My speakers fit the bill well. They are Reimer Wind River GS, made by Rick Reimer in Cody Wyoming. They are very well made, by hand two at a time, They have tremendous deep and controlled bass response and are very uncolored and revealing of good and not so good recordings.

Mar 22, 2007 at 10:03 AM Post #222 of 290
Quote:

Originally Posted by gjkphd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In addition to sound and aesthetics I like to support small companies when I can. My speakers fit the bill well. They are Reimer Wind River GS, made by Rick Reimer in Cody Wyoming. They are very well made, by hand two at a time, They have tremendous deep and controlled bass response and are very uncolored and revealing of good and not so good recordings.

Pics please...

Mar 22, 2007 at 10:13 AM Post #223 of 290
Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well after a substantial battery of changes (all to the great benefit of sound quality) in short period of time, I'm now left with this:

DSC_0005_2.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0007_crop.jpg

DSC_00111.jpg

These are the first pics with the new camera I picked up tonight (Nikon D40, my first digital SLR)
I'll take some more wide-angle shots of the room after I've cleaned up a bit.

It was WELL WORTH tossing the HT and dedicating the entire living room to 2ch duties. Nothing was ever quite right with previous configurations. The Halo A21 amp made a big difference, too. Things are now locked in!. I know what these speaks should have sounded like all along and they're finally there! Should have done this long ago. Even the gf is happy now that the HDTV is in the bedroom (along with some new furniture). She could care less about having to use the stock TV speakers
biggrin.gif

I repeat, dedicating the room to 2ch was WELL WORTH the effort and hassle!

Nice stuff!
rs1smile.gif

Mar 24, 2007 at 2:00 PM Post #224 of 290
Well, I started out in 1985, having been fortunate to be able to A/B nearly everything out there, with SoundLab A-1's, conrad-johnson Premier 5 200 wpc tube monoblocks, Pr. 5 Pre and Pr 6 phono amp, Sota Star Sapphire, ET2 arm and Koetsu Rosewood. To this day, nothing sounds better to my aging ear.

Unfortunately, the A-1s died in storage, and are now in a Carlsbad Ca dump.

To set up a HT system, I got in 2000 a pair of Dunlavy SC-IVa's for fronts, SC-III's for rears, and a SC-I a/v for center, driven by 300, 200 and 100 wpc Crown ss amps. Used for a total of about 200-300 hrs before moving again (Dunlavys FS on the auction site that shan't be named). Also added a Muse Model 18 balanced subwoofer.

In Amherst, I have a small music room with 2 recliners, a small grand piano, music stand, built-in shelves holding LPs and CDs, 2 small but adequate B&W Signature 805s, First Sound PreAmp, newly-acquired Musical Fidelity amp to replace Atma-Sphere MA1 Mk2 OTL monoblocks (wish I never sold them!). No room for 6 foot tall monoliths in there!

If the Dunlavys don't sell, I'll keep them for a 2-ch system in the study, driven by my venerable c-j amps, but they're BIG. If they sell, I might go for monitors or maybe Zu Druids with the Atma-Sphere 30 amp OTL.

Pic of a Dunlavy SC-IVa to follow

Users who are viewing this thread

Back