We know your headphones... but what about your speakers?
Mar 4, 2007 at 7:55 PM Post #196 of 290
Got a Harmon Kardon reciever with some old school early 90's Infinity tower speakers.....15's 4 ways in front with matching 12's 3 ways in back. These speakers rock, and getting them in really good shape all for 50 bucks makes em even better. Got some $100 dollar moving out of the dorms JBL 12" sub, and a crappy Infinity center.

as far as my computer i have an X-FI Fatality with the Klipch 5.1 Pro Media Ultras........these little buggers will give that Bose Lifestyle system a run for the money I suppose. I've compared them side by side with alot of peoples "all in one" surround systems and it kicks the **** out of em most of the time....and i got the set for $120 at Best Buy open box return.....nothing wrong with em..

Mar 5, 2007 at 5:03 AM Post #198 of 290
Quote:

Originally Posted by jrgeoffrion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[size=x-small]I just ordered a pair of Mark & Daniel Apollo II to replace my Tannoy. I'm looking forward to receiving them. As soon as I do, I'll post pix.

In the meantime, this picture will have to do:
47.jpg

My 2-channel system will now look like this:

Slim Devices Transporter > Black Sand Cable Violet Oyaide 079 2m to Shunyata Hydra 4 and Virtual Dynamics Master 8' from Hydra 4 to Wall (Wattgate 381) > Virtual Dynamics Master XLR 1m > 2x Bryston 7B-SST monoblocks > Virtual Dynamics Master 3.0 Bi-Wire 8' > Mark and Daniel Apollo II
[/size]

That is some serious speaker. But why did you replace Tannoy? What kind of Tannoys did you have and what did you find unsatisfying about them?

Mar 5, 2007 at 11:00 PM Post #199 of 290
Thanks for your thoughts John, informative as always.
smily_headphones1.gif

This is particularly good: Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Pa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find I do better when I use my own ears, what little common sense I possess, and a practical analysis of values rather than letting my ego run roughshod over all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by filipelli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
low budget roland micromonitors to serve as desktop speakers and turntable monitors. i wish i had more money to get what you guys have.

You are still getting the essential message. Some refinement may be missing you'll eventually get that if it remains important to you. The vast majority of music most important to me was first heard on really crappy equipment and that remained so for many years.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 883dave /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would be interested in your impressions of the ASC sound planks once you have "mounted" them.

Sure. I don't have much experience with room treatment but I know when things are wrong. My room, which I've been in for six months only, was dreadful due to it's bareness. As a temporary measure out of desperation I threw up some cheap foam-by-mail in the corners and behind the listening position. I did recently get a Realtraps Microtrap (2x4 feet) but don't know how that'll coexist for placement with the ASC stuff. I chose the soundplanks ($70 each, quartz colored), which are 5 feet tall and 8 inches wide, for the flexibility of placement. Larger panels 24 inches wide seem much more limiting for placement options. Have you seen the pictures of some hodge-podge treated rooms? They may sound great but look like pure hell. I'm too easily distracted visually to not be annoyed by a messed up room....yeah and I can't afford another divorce!
icon10.gif

Mar 5, 2007 at 11:10 PM Post #200 of 290
Quote:

System_1.jpg

Description in profile.

The 2" thick 24"x24" Sonex panels seen on the painted tongue&groove pine wall behind the speakers (while in their fourth installation in 23 years) worked well to reduce slap echo and tighten up imaging in the soundstage. They are mounted with spray adhesive to 1/4" foamcore board and hung from hidden brads.

Mar 5, 2007 at 11:35 PM Post #201 of 290
Quote:

The 2" thick 24"x24" Sonex panels seen on the painted tongue&groove pine wall behind the speakers (while in their fourth installation in 23 years) worked well to reduce slap echo and tighten up imaging in the soundstage. They are mounted with spray adhesive to 1/4" foamcore board and hung from hidden brads.

For appearance that looks OK to me. It's uniform. I've seem rooms that look like a colorblind grandma's patchwork quilt! Different shapes and colors seemingly placed arbitrarily.

Mar 6, 2007 at 2:06 AM Post #205 of 290
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeteeth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure. I don't have much experience with room treatment but I know when things are wrong. My room, which I've been in for six months only, was dreadful due to it's bareness. As a temporary measure out of desperation I threw up some cheap foam-by-mail in the corners and behind the listening position. I did recently get a Realtraps Microtrap (2x4 feet) but don't know how that'll coexist for placement with the ASC stuff. I chose the soundplanks ($70 each, quartz colored), which are 5 feet tall and 8 inches wide, for the flexibility of placement. Larger panels 24 inches wide seem much more limiting for placement options. Have you seen the pictures of some hodge-podge treated rooms? They may sound great but look like pure hell. I'm too easily distracted visually to not be annoyed by a messed up room....yeah and I can't afford another divorce!
icon10.gif

Yes I have seen some of the hodge-podge treated rooms. Hope they sound better than they look.
I recently had ASC draw up a plan to treat my listening room...incredible improvement in sound quality. And the better half thinks it looks good.
Here is a link to the final product... http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/6...1010349lt3.jpg ...if you want to have a look.
Their product is first rate, looks great, I hope your wife likes.
Enjoy....Once installed please give us your impressions

Mar 7, 2007 at 4:47 AM Post #206 of 290
Well after a substantial battery of changes (all to the great benefit of sound quality) in short period of time, I'm now left with this:

DSC_0005_2.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0007_crop.jpg

DSC_00111.jpg

These are the first pics with the new camera I picked up tonight (Nikon D40, my first digital SLR)
I'll take some more wide-angle shots of the room after I've cleaned up a bit.

It was WELL WORTH tossing the HT and dedicating the entire living room to 2ch duties. Nothing was ever quite right with previous configurations. The Halo A21 amp made a big difference, too. Things are now locked in!. I know what these speaks should have sounded like all along and they're finally there! Should have done this long ago. Even the gf is happy now that the HDTV is in the bedroom (along with some new furniture). She could care less about having to use the stock TV speakers
biggrin.gif

I repeat, dedicating the room to 2ch was WELL WORTH the effort and hassle!

Mar 7, 2007 at 12:43 PM Post #209 of 290
Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well after a substantial battery of changes (all to the great benefit of sound quality) in short period of time, I'm now left with this:

These are the first pics with the new camera I picked up tonight (Nikon D40, my first digital SLR)
I'll take some more wide-angle shots of the room after I've cleaned up a bit.

Nice pictures.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It was WELL WORTH tossing the HT and dedicating the entire living room to 2ch duties. Nothing was ever quite right with previous configurations. The Halo A21 amp made a big difference, too. Things are now locked in!. I know what these speaks should have sounded like all along and they're finally there!
I repeat, dedicating the room to 2ch was WELL WORTH the effort and hassle!

I see there is a Halo A21 on audiogone 132 miles from me! For $1200.00 tell me more about this amp. Please
icon10.gif

You are using the supra for pre-amp duties. Single ended can this amp be set up ballanced? Good weight and impact stuff like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back