We know your headphones... but what about your speakers?
Apr 5, 2007 at 4:55 AM Post #272 of 290
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zuerst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are speaker stands necessary? I mean are they better than just setting the speakers on a table top?

Idealy you don't want anything under the speaker that protrudes past the front baffle.

Apr 5, 2007 at 7:44 AM Post #274 of 290
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would imagine so coming from OII's. Bahamawoman will never get you out of the new dedicated media room. It's a beautiful system Rob, congrats!
cool.gif

digitalmind those are gorgeous! A fellow Head-Fier has even asked me to reproduce that finish on his project, and sent me your pic as an example.
I really expected to see inflatable speakers in your system though.
tongue.gif

Steve, if you can reproduce that finish, I might just have to ask you about a stand for the K1000.

Inflatable speakers... now THERE'S an idea!
cool.gif

Jun 9, 2007 at 12:15 PM Post #275 of 290
I use Magnepan 3.6R's with a Martin Logan Descent subwoofer. I plan on upgrading either to the Maggie 20.1's, Wilson Maxx's, or MBL 101E's. In the event of the latter two, I would keep the 3.6R's.

Jun 9, 2007 at 12:46 PM Post #276 of 290
Bob, you don't stop upgrading, do you?
tongue.gif
I've heard the 3.6 on a couple of occasions and they're so incredible. Never heard the 20.1, but I know they're good
biggrin.gif

Jun 9, 2007 at 1:10 PM Post #277 of 290
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bob, you don't stop upgrading, do you?
tongue.gif
I've heard the 3.6 on a couple of occasions and they're so incredible. Never heard the 20.1, but I know they're good
biggrin.gif

I have been constantly upgrading for the last couple of years. I have a strange job that allows me to save a bit of money. I am trying to finish the upgrades before I move back home in a couple of years.

The 3.6R's do about 90% of what the 20.1's do. It his a hard to decision to spend that much more for an extra 10% in performance. The best speakers I have ever heard were the MBL 101E's. This was, however, in Singapore with about $200,000 of MBL electronics driving them. I am not sure my amps would do drive them, and so far, I have been very happy with them. I'm not so certain I can swing another 20 grand for amps, or if I want to. The Wilsons are very efficient for speakers of thier size, so they are the likely candidates.

Cheers, Bob

Jun 9, 2007 at 1:50 PM Post #278 of 290
Quote:

Originally Posted by randerson3024 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been constantly upgrading for the last couple of years. I have a strange job that allows me to save a bit of money. I am trying to finish the upgrades before I move back home in a couple of years.

Lucky!
wink.gif

Quote:

The 3.6R's do about 90% of what the 20.1's do. It his a hard to decision to spend that much more for an extra 10% in performance.

True, and the 20.1 cost, what, three times as much? They do look much bigger though. Any reason why you decide to go with ribbon and not electrostatic? Anyhow, you have some liking for non-conventional means of sound production
tongue.gif

Quote:

The best speakers I have ever heard were the MBL 101E's. This was, however, in Singapore with about $200,000 of MBL electronics driving them. I am not sure my amps would do drive them, and so far, I have been very happy with them. I'm not so certain I can swing another 20 grand for amps, or if I want to. The Wilsons are very efficient for speakers of thier size, so they are the likely candidates.

Do they still sell the Wilson Maxx? I thought the X-2s were the top-of-the-line or is the Maxx a custom-made product? [I'm sorry... my mind isn't working. Ignore my first two questions] Likewise, do you know what the MBL model above the 101E is called? I've seen pictures of it in trade-shows. They're twin towered per ch. One of the tower has a full height omni-direction-whatever-its-called-carbon-fibre-thing whereas the other tower is dynamic (iirc).

With 20k, you could buy some fancy Mark Levinson or Halcro amplification
biggrin.gif
That's a nice thought isn't it
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 9, 2007 at 3:37 PM Post #279 of 290
Quote:

Originally Posted by fran /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quad ESL.

dscn0518ew0.jpg

Fran

Nice!

Jun 9, 2007 at 4:45 PM Post #280 of 290
Quote:

I plan on upgrading either to the Maggie 20.1's, Wilson Maxx's, or MBL 101E's. In the event of the latter two, I would keep the 3.6R's.

DO NOT buy the Maxx 2 (current version). Easily one of the worst Wilson speakers ever made IMO...

Jun 9, 2007 at 5:01 PM Post #281 of 290
I happen to have the August 05 issue of Stereophile in front of me and they give the Wilson Maxx Series 2 an incredibly positive review. Would you care to expand on your statement?

Jun 9, 2007 at 5:04 PM Post #282 of 290
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DO NOT buy the Maxx 2 (current version). Easily one of the worst Wilson speakers ever made IMO...

Really? In what way?

Jun 9, 2007 at 5:13 PM Post #283 of 290
I remember always reading the great reviews of Wilson speakers and thinking they must be amazing sounding speakers. Then I heard them. I have yet to hear a pair of Wilson's I like.

Jun 9, 2007 at 5:15 PM Post #284 of 290
My current speaker system consists of...

VPI Superscoutmaster w/ signature arm, dynavector XX2 cartridge
Ayre P-5XE phonostage
Ayre K-1XE preamp
Ayre V-1XE amp or...
Krell FPB650M monoblocks
Sony SCD-1 CD/sacd player
Thiel CS7.2 speakers
Audioquest Cheetah cables
Audioquest Monte Blanc speaker cable
LAT International AC2 powercords
This is what I have now, but the Ayre preamp, and phonostage are being upgraded by custom tube phono stage and balanced tube preamps from Mikhail (Singlepower Audio). I have also decided I like the Krell amps with the big Thiel speakers a little more than I like the Ayre amp.
I am also getting ready to pull the trigger on the Dynavector Te Kaitora Rua cartridge in the near future.

Jun 9, 2007 at 5:19 PM Post #285 of 290
Those red panels create a cool optical illusion in the picture. The angle of the top of the panels make the room look like it has a wall that heads back into another room, in the middle of the room. Checkitout.

dscn0518ew0.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back