We are upgrading HE series headphones' replaceable earpads.
Sep 14, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #136 of 188
Does anyone know about the "protein leather" employed in the new pads?
Sounds a little like bonded leather.
The reference below to protein leather as "non leather, leather like" helps explain the reasonable price...

http://www.cgtower.com/auto_pro_leather.htm

I've ordered a pair but was hoping for real leather. At least the pad clip attachment issue is apparently resolved with the new pads.

Sep 14, 2011 at 1:37 PM Post #137 of 188
I certainly prefer them to the stock pads on my HE-500

Sep 14, 2011 at 1:46 PM Post #138 of 188

Quote:
Better bass how? Are you saying that the bass is more prominent? with the letter pads?  More punch, more depth in sound?

More prominent, more depth. It's the same as using Grado Flats rather than bowls, but the difference in distance is much less, so I find that it doesn't mess with the mids or highs. Maybe I'm just getting a better seal with the new pads. The HE-500's have been known for incredible mids, but at the sacrifice of slightly less bass. I feel the leather pads remedy this situation. With Grado Flats, you get much better bass on Grado headphones, but it tightens the soundstage considerably. I don't find these results on the HE-500's. 
I am going to move them over to my HE-6's to see the results. I like the bass just the way it already is on the 6's, so I'm not sure I would want to increase the bottom end. Couldn't hurt to try. Might be a totally different result due to the gold diaphragms on the 6's.

Sep 14, 2011 at 2:02 PM Post #139 of 188
I could be wrong but I'm 99% that the Beyerdynamic 'Leather' Pads are made of the same material and it's probably the reason they look so good. I had a pair of 'Genuine Leather' JMoney pads which cost considerably more and look considerably worse (won't be making that mistake again). Aesthetics are also important to me so I'm looking forward to seeing how they look.

Sep 14, 2011 at 2:55 PM Post #140 of 188
I was going to ask that the first day I got them but held off to enjoy the music.  For leather they have absolutely no leather smell.  They are very soft, even softer then some real leather that is thinner than they are.  They have no grain, they stretch easily like pleather.  You know that it is not pleather because pleather is used on the inside half, like Sony's pads.  What ever they are, they feel good and look great.  Much , much better looking then the velours which I have two sets of and straight from the factory they look old because so much of the fibers are crushed.  $20 is also very reasonable.

Sep 14, 2011 at 3:44 PM Post #142 of 188
Fake leather? Perfect. Definitely ordering a pair. Still hoping for some thick cloth ones though.

Sep 14, 2011 at 8:14 PM Post #143 of 188
Ah I see.  Thank you for the explanation.  

Quote:
More prominent, more depth. It's the same as using Grado Flats rather than bowls, but the difference in distance is much less, so I find that it doesn't mess with the mids or highs. Maybe I'm just getting a better seal with the new pads. The HE-500's have been known for incredible mids, but at the sacrifice of slightly less bass. I feel the leather pads remedy this situation. With Grado Flats, you get much better bass on Grado headphones, but it tightens the soundstage considerably. I don't find these results on the HE-500's. 
I am going to move them over to my HE-6's to see the results. I like the bass just the way it already is on the 6's, so I'm not sure I would want to increase the bottom end. Couldn't hurt to try. Might be a totally different result due to the gold diaphragms on the 6's.

Sep 15, 2011 at 12:12 AM Post #145 of 188

Quote:

I just installed mine to my 6. I had to adjust the headband a little higher, perhaps an 1/8". I also had to adjust the headband for less clamp. Comfort-wise after the adjustments I made is about the same. There's some slight difference, I would describe it as "refined".

Sep 19, 2011 at 9:00 AM Post #146 of 188
I'm not convinced these will be thick enough but will try this evening with some decent bass through them to see if the membrane tickles my ears.... The 1st thing I noticed though is that the new plastic ring also fits my thicker Beyer pads so I'll try these also a bit later. Didn't think this the right place to post pics but if anyone wants to see the difference let me know....

Sep 19, 2011 at 2:48 PM Post #147 of 188
I can't tell any difference between the new pads and the old ones.

I hope they come out with cloth ones that have the improved attachment system and are a touch thicker. I don't like leather (fake or not). My ears are getting hot after 2 minutes of having these new pads on.

Well, I cracked one of my cloth ones just taking it off the headphone. It stays on the cup, but it still sucks to have done that. Bring on some updated cloth ones. :)

Sep 19, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #148 of 188
Have now used mine for a week and clearly prefer both look and feel of them compared to the stock ones. I'm sure they are marginally deeper. Don't detect any change in the sound.

Sep 19, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #149 of 188

Quote:
I can't tell any difference between the new pads and the old ones.

I hope they come out with cloth ones that have the improved attachment system and are a touch thicker. I don't like leather (fake or not). My ears are getting hot after 2 minutes of having these new pads on.

Well, I cracked one of my cloth ones just taking it off the headphone. It stays on the cup, but it still sucks to have done that. Bring on some updated cloth ones.
smily_headphones1.gif

If you have the new attachment ring and want velour (but deeper) just get some Beyer Velours as the rear pad design is pretty much identical. I am using Beyer leather pads with the new attachment ring as they are deeper (my ears touched the material of both HiFiMan pads, old and new). My Beyer pads (both leather and velour) are for the DT880, don't know if they differ but just thought I'd mention it.

Sep 19, 2011 at 8:38 PM Post #150 of 188
I'm sure they are marginally deeper. Don't detect any change in the sound.

Which ones are marginally deeper? Definitely not the new ones. They're marginally thinner as far as I could tell when lining them up side by side.

If you have the new attachment ring and want velour (but deeper) just get some Beyer Velours as the rear pad design is pretty much identical. I am using Beyer leather pads with the new attachment ring as they are deeper (my ears touched the material of both HiFiMan pads, old and new). My Beyer pads (both leather and velour) are for the DT880, don't know if they differ but just thought I'd mention it.

Hmmm... good idea. If I go this route then the new pads I bought won't have been for nothing. I can salvage the attachment system and have some awesome velours too. Edit: I went ahead and ordered a pair of black Beyer velours. We'll see what happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back