Slide31.JPG
Slide32.JPG
Slide33.JPG
Slide34.JPG
Slide35.JPG
Slide36.JPG
Slide37.JPG

Mar 1, 2023 at 11:12 AM Post #3,828 of 4,674
And here is the interpolation seminar. This has a few updates on previous presentations.
Hmm, and since most? of what you do to achieve the most accurate digital sound reproduction of acoustic music and the human voice is done via filters and digital code on an fpga chip and the other actual parts used only are a very small part of the actual cost of your products , I have one to me and many others I suspect, VERY important question to ask . Why,why,why don´t you and Chord build and sell a SOTA dac with an inbuilt mscaler of the highest capacity which is neither big and heavy or has to cost an arm and a leg???
In your defence I have to add , you partly, but only partly, did so with Qutest , but not with Mscaler. And micro usb power connection was maybe not exactly what I had hoped for on Qutest.
But since I have not travelled with it for quite long I can live with that too.
But only very reluctantly.
Why not design the best possible product you can from a technical performance point of view and advice Chord to make it affordable enough to sell in millions and millions of units and including all those millions of music lovers with limited economic resourches as potential buyers, instead of aiming only for a Very Rich Elite Clique for whom cost is not an object at all as now??

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" does not really apply here imho.
It "sounds" as if it is more of an ears and brain thing at play here?
Correct me if I am wrong
Cheers Christer

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2023 at 1:58 PM Post #3,829 of 4,674
Mar 2, 2023 at 12:26 AM Post #3,830 of 4,674
pressure changes affect sound - lower pressure reduces volume, and reduces the speed of sound.
Do you think it could be related to humidity rather than air pressure (or both)? Sometimes I swear my system sounds better on humid days (more noticeable with speakers to my ears).

muski

P.S. I really enjoyed your Mojo2 playlist on Qobuz!

Mar 2, 2023 at 6:30 AM Post #3,832 of 4,674
Hmm, and since most? of what you do to achieve the most accurate digital sound reproduction of acoustic music and the human voice is done via filters and digital code on an fpga chip and the other actual parts used only are a very small part of the actual cost of your products , I have one to me and many others I suspect, VERY important question to ask . Why,why,why don´t you and Chord build and sell a SOTA dac with an inbuilt mscaler of the highest capacity which is neither big and heavy or has to cost an arm and a leg???
In your defence I have to add , you partly, but only partly, did so with Qutest , but not with Mscaler. And micro usb power connection was maybe not exactly what I had hoped for on Qutest.
But since I have not travelled with it for quite long I can live with that too.
But only very reluctantly.
Why not design the best possible product you can from a technical performance point of view and advice Chord to make it affordable enough to sell in millions and millions of units and including all those millions of music lovers with limited economic resourches as potential buyers, instead of aiming only for a Very Rich Elite Clique for whom cost is not an object at all as now??

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" does not really apply here imho.
It "sounds" as if it is more of an ears and brain thing at play here?
Correct me if I am wrong
Cheers Christer

The reason the scalers are in separate units is simple - the noise that the FPGA generates must be kept away from the DAC part - hence the isolation, and two units. The Hugo M scaler has 12A of extremely noise current being injected into the ground plane. If that was the DAC ground plane it would be a disaster sonically.

Chord and I are fully committed to providing audiophiles with high performance and modest cost - just look at Mojo 2.

Do you think it could be related to humidity rather than air pressure (or both)? Sometimes I swear my system sounds better on humid days (more noticeable with speakers to my ears).

muski

P.S. I really enjoyed your Mojo2 playlist on Qobuz!

I am sure humidity also has an influence as air is not linear at high frequencies. But this would not be the explanation for it sounding OK after 10 minutes.

I can't take credit for all of the tracks, just some of them on the Mojo 2 playlist!

Mar 2, 2023 at 6:43 PM Post #3,833 of 4,674
@Rob Watts it seems from the second set of slides that your design work for new consumer products will follow once you've been able to finalise the design of Davina.

But now I'm wondering if the design of a new scaler and a new reference DAC works hand-in-hand with the design of Davina. It seems possible that as you improve one aspect of one design it gives you new possibilities with the other designs. So they're all interacting with each other! This seems like it would probably be joyful and frustrating at the same time, because you find out that you're iterating a lot more than perhaps you'd hoped.

So, maybe these projects all end up finishing at around the same time?

Mar 3, 2023 at 12:28 AM Post #3,835 of 4,674
It is possible to get a Mojo sized M-Scaler? I have too many flac 44.1 khz files in my library, but M-Scaler size and price is not something I am looking forward too..
The problem is power dissipation - if I were to put a Hugo M scaler into a Mojo size case, it would run at 100 deg C... To get it to work without fans needs a fivefold improvement in FPGAs, without costs rising, and there are no signs of that happening any time soon.

Mar 3, 2023 at 1:25 AM Post #3,836 of 4,674
@Rob Watts - My apologies if you've been asked this question before - Has there ever been consideration to doing a version of Mojo 2 solely for desktop? DAC only, no headphone amp, no battery with common USB (C or B), S/PDIF (RCA,BNC) and RCA output connectors?
Thanks

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2023 at 2:15 AM Post #3,837 of 4,674
@Rob Watts - My apologies if you've been asked this question before - Has there ever been consideration to doing a version of Mojo 2 solely for desktop? DAC only, no headphone amp, no battery with common USB (C or B), S/PDIF (RCA,BNC) and RCA output connectors?
Thanks
I second that. Something like Mojo TT would be a nice addon to the lineup.
ps. Remote would be also most welcome, to use it as a preamp. But I would like it to have hp out.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2023 at 2:41 AM Post #3,838 of 4,674
The problem is power dissipation - if I were to put a Hugo M scaler into a Mojo size case, it would run at 100 deg C... To get it to work without fans needs a fivefold improvement in FPGAs, without costs rising, and there are no signs of that happening any time soon.
Thanks Rob. Love the slides, wish someone recorded the presentation.

Mar 3, 2023 at 6:59 AM Post #3,839 of 4,674
Thanks
There'd be no point removing the headphone amp, as the circuit would be the same, and the volume control is digital.

Mar 3, 2023 at 9:43 AM Post #3,840 of 4,674
Thanks

I am not sure that would sell in volume - and then you have the issue of cannibalising other products like Mojo 2 and Qutest. Mojo 2 only works commercially when it sells in large volumes.

Thanks Rob. Love the slides, wish someone recorded the presentation.
I believe @GoldenOne recorded it - I don't know when it will get published.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back