Watts Up...?
Mar 4, 2023 at 2:54 PM Post #3,856 of 4,685
Mar 4, 2023 at 3:43 PM Post #3,857 of 4,685
Where does the 10% come from though?

Hopefully not the same place as -300dB digital distortion is audible!
The source of the 10% is still a question - to me it seems much too high, because if one is happy with the model that the brain constructs an illusionary image from inputs that it receives, then the value 0% or close to 0% will be quotable from some source(s).

I think Rob posted a few days ago about the persistent misunderstandings about the -300dB value based on his simulation models, and the confusion with human listening tests.

Mar 4, 2023 at 6:57 PM Post #3,859 of 4,685
At least Rob engages in conversation about these topics, where are the other DAC designers?
You can engage with head of KEF engineering on ASR

Genelec engineer is there too

Andrew Jones, Floyde Toole, Sean Olive also chime in over there

Bruno Putzey chimes in there too

Those are some of the best in the business in speaker design and understanding speaker performance in rooms - and Sean Olive headphones research

You just have to look and there is lots to learn from leading experts :wink:

Mar 4, 2023 at 7:18 PM Post #3,860 of 4,685
You can engage with head of KEF engineering on ASR

Genelec engineer is there too

Andrew Jones, Floyde Toole, Sean Olive also chime in over there

Bruno Putzey chimes in there too

Those are some of the best in the business in speaker design and understanding speaker performance in rooms - and Sean Olive headphones research

You just have to look and there is lots to learn from leading experts :wink:
And they haven't been banned? That's a surprise.

Mar 4, 2023 at 8:57 PM Post #3,861 of 4,685
And they haven't been banned? That's a surprise.
Not a surprise if you read the technical discussions those names contribute.

And see the great measurements of Genelec, recent KEF, Mola Mola DAC etc products.

And the great teaching of Dr Floyde Toole and Dr Sean Olive. Much to learn

All depends if one is interested in learning (or not...)

:relaxed:

Note: I still enjoy my Hugo2... among other DAC/amps I have in other rooms

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2023 at 12:27 AM Post #3,862 of 4,685
Not a surprise if you read the technical discussions those names contribute.

And see the great measurements of Genelec, recent KEF, Mola Mola DAC etc products.

And the great teaching of Dr Floyde Toole and Dr Sean Olive. Much to learn

All depends if one is interested in learning (or not...)

:relaxed:

Note: I still enjoy my Hugo2... among other DAC/amps I have in other rooms
I have Floyd Toole's book, yes I read white papers for fun, what I don't enjoy is a gang of fanatics attacking people for their preferences. I stopped going to that site, complete waste of my time.

Mar 5, 2023 at 12:29 AM Post #3,863 of 4,685
Yes, I find all this stuff interesting.

Attachments

• PXL_20230305_052801142.jpg
    PXL_20230305_052801142.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Mar 5, 2023 at 2:30 AM Post #3,865 of 4,685
what I don't enjoy is a gang of fanatics attacking people for their preferences.
I also don't enjoy that.

There are fanatics there and also here (opposing ends)

But i can filter out that noise (depending on the thread topic of course, can be hard to do) and there are some very very intelligent people there sharing lots of good info.

Mar 5, 2023 at 3:38 PM Post #3,869 of 4,685
I think Rob posted a few days ago about the persistent misunderstandings about the -300dB value based on his simulation models, and the confusion with human listening tests.
Regarding the -300dB value, it is just a catchphrase used to mock RW.
Most people who do it, already know he never said -300dB was audible (rest just ignorant ), but it has been a convenient excuse .
I remember there were similar school-yard mocking going on a while ago, when some ignorant people were saying that RW's claim that the 104.25MHz crystal used in Chord DACs can not be an integer of 44.1 and 48 , so they stooped to mocking the quote.
After I set them straight (of course with RW's input) suddenly the thread went dead.
Some school boys, never grow up.

Mar 5, 2023 at 9:41 PM Post #3,870 of 4,685
Regarding the -300dB value, it is just a catchphrase used to mock RW.
Most people who do it, already know he never said -300dB was audible (rest just ignorant ), but it has been a convenient excuse .
I remember there were similar school-yard mocking going on a while ago, when some ignorant people were saying that RW's claim that the 104.25MHz crystal used in Chord DACs can not be an integer of 44.1 and 48 , so they stooped to mocking the quote.
After I set them straight (of course with RW's input) suddenly the thread went dead.
Some school boys, never grow up.
Perfectly said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back