Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Oct 29, 2011 at 8:20 AM Post #6,526 of 14,276

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that in 'Castle' the watch that Stana Katic's character Kate Beckett is wearing is an Omega Speedmaster. It's always entertaining to see if you can spot a watch in a TV show/Movie and can identify it :D

Well. its even funnier when you notice that the central second hand is never at zero.
Meaning she always leaves the chrono on or its a "prop" watch if not to use a nastier term.

Then again nathan fillons character used an omega seamaster multifuncion in the first couple of seasons.

Oct 30, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #6,527 of 14,276
Well, after an extended search, I finally decided on my next watch (I figure I'm allowed to buy a new one every couple years or so and still justify it): The Seiko "Stargate" SKZ327.

n66e3.jpg

I'm not much of one for rubber straps, so this is going on a NATO strap for the time being while I ponder putting it on a bracelet.

Oct 31, 2011 at 4:39 PM Post #6,528 of 14,276
My Citizen Skyhawk A/T
It's the JY0010-50E model, I really like it. It's comfortable does everything it's supposed to do, never needs a charge, always guaranteed accurate (radio time setting) and it looks phenomenal. I don't like the buckle on it, but that's probably going to get swapped for one I don't mind.

Nov 2, 2011 at 1:52 PM Post #6,529 of 14,276
It arrived! Number #3 in HMT Sona Trifecta!!

HMT, as I've mentioned earlier is one of the only companies left in India that manufactures entire watches, including all components and movement entirely in house. As far as I know, the HMT mechanical watches are the only mechanical/automatic watches made in India where the movement is entirely manufactured in India. And the great thing about them is that the entire watch, if you purchase mechanical, can be purchased for about Rs 800 ($15-$17). The movement is also of exceptional caliber considering it was originally manufactured under license from Citizen. The Sona is easily one of my favorites in the group, but earlier, I only had the white dial and the gold dial, and at this price point, I just wanted to snag a black dial to complete the trifecta. And now I have it!

Interestingly enough, the black dial Sona has a feature I haven't seen yet on any HMT model: The model comes stock with a wire-mesh bracelet. The mesh bracelets tend not to be as common as multiple link bracelets, but they are so light and comfortable that it is ridiculous!

Nov 2, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #6,530 of 14,276

Quote:
Well, after an extended search, I finally decided on my next watch (I figure I'm allowed to buy a new one every couple years or so and still justify it): The Seiko "Stargate" SKZ327.

n66e3.jpg

I'm not much of one for rubber straps, so this is going on a NATO strap for the time being while I ponder putting it on a bracelet.

This is nice!  What's the model number?

Nov 4, 2011 at 2:31 AM Post #6,533 of 14,276
Does anyone have any recommendations or experience when it comes to skeleton watches? I've been looking around but don't really know enough to trust my judgment alone. I'm looking for something that could be worn everyday and that isn't too flashy or ostentatious. So that $3 grand diamond encrusted, white gold one probably won't work for me. Ideally lets say $200-$250 max.

Nov 4, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #6,534 of 14,276

Fantastic watch! I just got this too.

Quote:
i got this yesterday. please say if you like it. time magazine rated it one of the top 10 gadgets of 2009! wonder why i waited this long....

Nov 4, 2011 at 12:09 PM Post #6,535 of 14,276

Quote:
Does anyone have any recommendations or experience when it comes to skeleton watches? 

My only advice is to look for those that have skeletonized a good mass movement - ETA 2824, or similar. Many relatively inexpensive skeleton watches use lower grade chinese movements which typically do not hold up for very long, and are resistant to maintenance/repair. 

Nov 4, 2011 at 1:12 PM Post #6,536 of 14,276

Quote:
My only advice is to look for those that have skeletonized a good mass movement - ETA 2824, or similar. Many relatively inexpensive skeleton watches use lower grade chinese movements which typically do not hold up for very long, and are resistant to maintenance/repair. 

Which is exactly why I ask. Just googling "skeleton watch" reveals all sorts of results. I see a lot of Stuhrling, Rougois, and Akribos. I'm not too familiar with watch brands. Are there any names to avoid?

Nov 4, 2011 at 1:17 PM Post #6,537 of 14,276
Speaking personally, If they won't tell you what movement is in it, I'd avoid. 

Nov 4, 2011 at 1:55 PM Post #6,538 of 14,276

Quote:

Which is exactly why I ask. Just googling "skeleton watch" reveals all sorts of results. I see a lot of Stuhrling, Rougois, and Akribos. I'm not too familiar with watch brands. Are there any names to avoid?

The best you can do, is if you find a model you are interested in from a brand you are unfamiliar with, try to google around and see if anyone can tell you what movement is in the watch. A great site for information in this regard is 'watchuseek,com'. Some brands will use Swiss ETA/Unitas/Valjoux movements that are well reviewed by the watch community. Other brands will use Citizen/Seiko automatic and manual movements which are also well reviewed by the watch community (though you will always find the Swiss vs. Japanese argument wherever you will go). Then there are the Chinese watch movements. Some are very well reviewed, like Sea-gull movements, others are known to be direct replicas of Swiss movements and are known to work within reasonable tolerances. And then, there are the absolutely no name 'Dime-a-Dozen movements that are generally to be ignored, though some will occasionally surprise you.

The upshot is, many brands will advertised exactly what kind of movement they use. In these cases it tends to be a better watch movement such as the Swiss, Japanese or named Chinese movements. In most of these cases, I wouldn't have a problem of faith, though as is the case with many things, I would always go into the purchase expecting some chance of a lemon. I have had good luck with purchasing watches where I didn't know what movement is in it, but my friend bought a Fossil Skeleton for her boyfriend with an unnamed movement in it, and that thing was a lemon - had to be sent in under warranty twice before it finally came back working properly, but now, it works phenomenally. If the brand you are interested in doesn't identify the movement, I wouldn't necessarily distrust it, but I would be prepared for the possibility of a lemon.

Nov 5, 2011 at 12:05 AM Post #6,540 of 14,276
that g is my daily wear now. i was wearing an expensive watch but this is just so much cooler to me. i have nothing to prove. which leads me too.....
fossil skeletons have a sea-gull or miyota. to me they are worth every penny of $40 at the fossil outlet. for $200 you are not going to get any serious watch anyways. so why not just spend $40? fyi, fossil has a lot of sub brands like relic,armani etc. all the same thing. i wouldn't pay extra for the armani though unless i really liked the design. $200 and under all that matters is if you like it. a serious skeleton is a lot of money. as for the serious ones the maurice lacroix masterpiece posted earlier, well after i saw that i ran out and got one lol. really pretty. i will be honest though. i own a relic that "looks" almost the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back