Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Oct 25, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #6,512 of 14,275

Quote:

AFAIK it should be loose enough to put a finger between the bracelet and your wrist.

There is no correct way to where a watch or maybe there is no incorrect way to wear a watch. What ever is comfortable to you then wear it that way! Some people like it high on their arm and some people like it low almost on their hand. Some like it loose as hell and some like it tight as all hell.

I like mine tight and low. If i give any room to even fit a tooth pick between the watch and my skin the watch will slide up and down my arm (I have skinny arms). It is worn to the point of leaving a mark but not cutting off blood flow, a fine line I have mastered over the years.

Best part of wearing a watch this tight is I can feel it not there instantly. Like when i was walking in a crowd of 800,000+ people at the Taste of Chicago and my old Baume Et Mercier fell off my wrist. I knew it was off and looked at the down at the ground the first second it fell off. I actually turned my head so fast i seen it hit the ground behind me. Some dude reached down to pick it up and my foot stepped on his hand....firmly stepped on his hand! I had the clasp replaced after that but still never trusted that watch again.

Oct 26, 2011 at 12:09 AM Post #6,513 of 14,275

Quote:

Question for everyone:  How tight do you wear your watch? 

I wear mine just snug enough to stop it from revolving.

It's one of the old "Kevlar" straps that are really some kind of embossed plastic.  Great, comfortable, water proof strap none the less.  Strap was inexpensive, the deployant was not. 
biggrin.gif

Here's another picture of the same watch from 2003, with much better lighting (click to enlarge)

Nice watch and photog!  Very simple and I like sword hands.
normal_smile .gif
  What's the model and size--case diameter, lug to lug, lug width?

Oct 26, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #6,514 of 14,275

Quote:

There is no correct way to where a watch or maybe there is no incorrect way to wear a watch. What ever is comfortable to you then wear it that way! Some people like it high on their arm and some people like it low almost on their hand. Some like it loose as hell and some like it tight as all hell.

I like mine tight and low. If i give any room to even fit a tooth pick between the watch and my skin the watch will slide up and down my arm (I have skinny arms). It is worn to the point of leaving a mark but not cutting off blood flow, a fine line I have mastered over the years.

Best part of wearing a watch this tight is I can feel it not there instantly. Like when i was walking in a crowd of 800,000+ people at the Taste of Chicago and my old Baume Et Mercier fell off my wrist. I knew it was off and looked at the down at the ground the first second it fell off. I actually turned my head so fast i seen it hit the ground behind me. Some dude reached down to pick it up and my foot stepped on his hand....firmly stepped on his hand! I had the clasp replaced after that but still never trusted that watch again.

Good recovery !

Oct 26, 2011 at 12:24 AM Post #6,518 of 14,275
Well, the watch wasn't the subject of the photo (a couple years old) - but it includes one of my favorite pocketwatches. A HUGE, heavy silveroid 18s sidewider cased 1880's Elgin. Runs like a champ. 

Oct 26, 2011 at 12:33 AM Post #6,519 of 14,275

Quote:

AFAIK it should be loose enough to put a finger between the bracelet and your wrist.

This is my rule of thumb (or finger) too.

Oct 26, 2011 at 4:01 AM Post #6,521 of 14,275
Where does everyone order their watches normally? Some favourite Ebaysellers or webstores? I'm finding it hard to order for acceptable prices from European sellers and almost always end up looking at American, Russian or Chinese sellers. 

I don't have that many watches. Three, actually. I sold off the rest because my taste in watches evolved. Probably because I started reading this thread. :wink: None of the watches I currently wear (Timex Expedition, Seiko Steel Chrono, custom Kyboe! silver) really wow me though. They were gifts (Seiko, Kyboe!) or purely functional (the Timex). Still looking for the grail. :) 

EDIT: found this great photo that kinda represents my current taste. Bang for your buck Chinese pilot on a bright NATO strap. Still not wow'ing me though. 

Oct 26, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #6,522 of 14,275
Don't know if anybody here watches cable TV anymore, but there's this show called Psych... Anyway the point is, on the episode tonight, you get a pretty good look at the main character's watch, and I didn't rewind to check, but I'm pretty sure it was an Omega Seamaster. Anyway I thought that was pretty cool...

Oct 27, 2011 at 12:49 AM Post #6,523 of 14,275
I'm pretty sure that in 'Castle' the watch that Stana Katic's character Kate Beckett is wearing is an Omega Speedmaster. It's always entertaining to see if you can spot a watch in a TV show/Movie and can identify it :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back