Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
May 23, 2011 at 3:34 PM Post #5,971 of 14,276

Quote:
$88,000 is actually relatively cheap for a Tourbillion watch.  Tourbillions were invented to rotate the escapement wheel once per minute to try and negate the "crown up" "crown down" loss of seconds in mechanical watches.  Breguet and Vacheron make a few as well as Jaeger, but they're all in the 100's of thousands.

Ehh not really.  There are fine tourbillons that go at auction for ~$20k.  I'd say a more ballpark figure for most tourbillons is 40-60k new.

May 23, 2011 at 7:24 PM Post #5,972 of 14,276
I just got rid of this one to add funds to my upcoming IWC purchase. I was very sad to see it go...it was the watch that made me fall in love with watches.

Seiko Samurai Ti:

May 23, 2011 at 7:28 PM Post #5,973 of 14,276
Hey guys, I'm a complete newbie to the watch scene...thought I'd get some quick advice here rather than starting a new thread!

Firstly I wanted to know what I need to look out for when buying secondhand. I'm looking to get an Omega Constellation. The model number is 1512.40 iirc. Appears to be in good condition and as far as I know, the watch was originally purchased in 1998. I can get it for about $700...would that be a good price? (its a quartz movement) Also, what tends to happen to the value of these watches over time?

Finally, I'm having a tough time deciding between automatic or quartz. Basically, which tends to have fewer issues over time? I want something that won't require too much maintenance or too much expenditure in the future.

Any advice appreciated, thanks in advance!

May 23, 2011 at 11:49 PM Post #5,974 of 14,276
I can't imagine spending $700 on a quartz watch, but it would be far less maintenance. Should only need a new battery every few years. Each has it's own appeal. My personal choice would be automatic, but I can understand wanting a beautiful watch that isn't much fuss. A good quartz movement should keep going practically forever. My daily wear is a Seiko quartz that is 30 years old. No problems beyond needing new lume(glowing stuff on the hands) 

May 24, 2011 at 1:07 AM Post #5,975 of 14,276
@ notmuchcash...
I hear ya. But I've spent much more than that on quartz watches. One thing that is a must... if when you look at it, your heart skips a beat and you think it's one of the most beautiful or wonderful things you've ever laid eyes upon, it's worth what you are easily willing to pay.
If not... $700 is way too much money.

May 24, 2011 at 11:58 PM Post #5,979 of 14,276

Quote:
Any recommendations for a sub $1000 dressy automatic? Something Caltrava or vintage Seamaster esque would be nice. 

If you have a friend in India who can post as look-out for you and have about $20 in your pocket, you could pick up an HMT Sona :D

14K gold plating and available in either gold, white or black face. It's a manual though, not automatic :frowning2:

May 25, 2011 at 1:11 AM Post #5,980 of 14,276
Any recommendations for a sub $1000 dressy automatic? Something Caltrava or vintage Seamaster esque would be nice. 

There is this excellent Seiko for just under half that. Lovely movement and excellent build quality and the seller is well respected on the watch forums and very easy to deal with!

http://www.seiyajapan.com/product/S-SARB072/SEIKO-Automatic-Watch-6R15-SARB072.html

May 25, 2011 at 1:41 AM Post #5,981 of 14,276

Quote:
Quote:

There is this excellent Seiko for just under half that. Lovely movement and excellent build quality and the seller is well respected on the watch forums and very easy to deal with!

http://www.seiyajapan.com/product/S-SARB072/SEIKO-Automatic-Watch-6R15-SARB072.html

Wow, a beautiful watch.  Too bad it doesn't have a perpetual calendar though...at least it doesn't say anything about that.  That's the biggest problem I have with my current watch.

May 25, 2011 at 2:17 AM Post #5,982 of 14,276
Funny...I would like the Seiko "Cocktail Time" better:  http://www.seiyajapan.com/c=rxeKSqR3Fgg7OEHZj70b3DXq2/product/S-SARB065/SEIKO-Mechanical-SARB065-Cocktail-Time.html

SEIKO Mechanical SARB065 Cocktail Time

1. Mr.Sinobu Ishigaki collaboration.
  2. He was champion of 2005 BACARDI& MARTINIGrand Prix.
  3. His bar website
http://www.ishinohana.com/home200610.html 
This time Seiko & Ishigaki-san collaborate to produce watches.

Ha!  I may even have been to this bar- near Roppongi/Tokyo Mid-Town/Aoyama:  http://www.ishinohana.com/home200610.html

Quote:

May 25, 2011 at 3:21 AM Post #5,983 of 14,276
Hey guys, I'm a complete newbie to the watch scene...thought I'd get some quick advice here rather than starting a new thread!

Firstly I wanted to know what I need to look out for when buying secondhand. I'm looking to get an Omega Constellation. The model number is 1512.40 iirc. Appears to be in good condition and as far as I know, the watch was originally purchased in 1998. I can get it for about $700...would that be a good price? (its a quartz movement) Also, what tends to happen to the value of these watches over time?

Finally, I'm having a tough time deciding between automatic or quartz. Basically, which tends to have fewer issues over time? I want something that won't require too much maintenance or too much expenditure in the future.

For $1,000, see if you can find a stainless vintage IWC automatic. Some go in that price range. Terrific watch with a good pedigree.

You should also be able to find quite a few Omega Constellations in that range. They're classic, but not as highly-regarded as an IWC.

And, really, consider a handwound watch. I thought having one would be a pain, but I instinctively wind it when I have down time and actually enjoy winding it. Maybe you'd enjoy it, too.

May 26, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #5,984 of 14,276
I second the IWC (secondhand). I own an aquatimer and it's one of the best watches I own in terms of build quality and clean design. The aquatimer is super easy to read, when paired with the titanium bracelet is super sleek and can be worn with a suit, and like all IWC's (I also own a Portuguese in rose gold) are incredibly reliable. If you can find a used one in your price range, jump all over it. If not, some older IWC pilots can go for around $1000 at times. These are all top tier movements.

I'm in the boat that I only want one more watch... an A Lange & Sohne chronograph. Can I justify $15k+? That's the problem.... O_o

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

For $1,000, see if you can find a stainless vintage IWC automatic. Some go in that price range. Terrific watch with a good pedigree.

You should also be able to find quite a few Omega Constellations in that range. They're classic, but not as highly-regarded as an IWC.

And, really, consider a handwound watch. I thought having one would be a pain, but I instinctively wind it when I have down time and actually enjoy winding it. Maybe you'd enjoy it, too.

May 26, 2011 at 3:41 PM Post #5,985 of 14,276
i had not thought about vintage as most folks don't like that for some reason, me, I love vintage!

I have found this site to be good, I am not connected to them in anyway apart from customer.
http://www.darlor-watch.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back