Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
May 28, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #6,001 of 14,276
What's everyone's thought on the big price increase on the 2011 Omega Seamasters? 8500 movement and ceramic, but priced just shy of $6,000 for the base model.

May 28, 2011 at 4:37 PM Post #6,002 of 14,276
DaBomb, find a local watchmaker. Crystals are usually easy to replace, but I don't know how much it would cost.

laxx, my guess is that Omega is trying to move into the high end. But $6,000 is too much. That's enough to buy a vintage Patek, Audemars or Vacheron. If you really want an Omega, get an old pie-pan Constellation. Nice watches and they only seem to appreciate.

May 28, 2011 at 5:20 PM Post #6,003 of 14,276

Quote:
Very nice.

Quick question, guys - is it possible to, at a reasonable price, replace the glass crystal in a watch like mine (the Seiko I posted earlier) with a nicer one made of, say, sapphire?  Mine has some scratches in it that are rather distressing...

As Uncle Erik says, find a local watchmaker and get a quote. I have only one local watchmaker so he can charge pretty much what he wants for repairs on watches. IIRC, he charged me about $35 to do a standard glass crystal replacement once, and quoted me about $100 for a sapphire crystal replacement that I ended up not needing, because when he inspected the watch, he realized the 'scratches' were just to the AR coating on the crystal.

May 28, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #6,004 of 14,276
Or you could ask to have a plexi glass crystal replacement and then when you get scratches you can just polish them out with a dab of Silvo!

May 28, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #6,006 of 14,276
Speaking of Seamasters, I have a problem where once or twice a week, I lose 15-20 minutes while I sleep if I don't wear the watch for weeks at a time. If I work really hard at my job, physically, it stays on time. But if I leave It alone for a week and then wind it, and then just travel that day, that night I lose minutes.
I'm pretty sure that it's the position of the crown that I am using to hand wind but no matter what position that I pull it out to, when it's dead I can't get it to even start moving the second hand.

Can anyone who has one, help me out? I think that it's the same position as when you rotate backwards for the date.

May 29, 2011 at 12:34 AM Post #6,007 of 14,276
That's not good! Even if you do not wear it for a while it should still maintain at least COSC (if it is COSC spec!). From your description I am wondering if it is the main spring gone? If your moving the watch a lot at work it will maintain tension so keep time but the inactivity and then losing such a large amount sound like it is this. I had something similar many years ago and it turned out to be a broken mainspring.

Contrary to popular belief that is quite a rare thing to happen!

How old is the watch?

May 29, 2011 at 12:49 AM Post #6,008 of 14,276

And it's not even summer yet!  (Yes, I know you meant in real life but I couldn't resist). 
Quote:
I am thinking at the end of this year maybe early next year i sell the Rolex, Breitling, and Zenith and buy a Patek 5167. I want to move up a bit but not so sure if i want to rid my wrist of three awesome watches for one watch i never seen in life yet..ugh

This summer my goal is to see a 5167!!

May 29, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #6,009 of 14,276
Just MRed, half of the guys didnt get theirs, :mad: all around. lol.

May 29, 2011 at 10:11 AM Post #6,010 of 14,276

Quote:
And it's not even summer yet!  (Yes, I know you meant in real life but I couldn't resist). 

HAHA! I really dig this Patek out of all the Pateks I could afford. I want something in the 40mm size and something that just works well on a 31 yearold wrist. I like this one because it looks different then the classic Patek, like owning a Rolex with a lightning bolt on the dial. Is this your watch? if so how thin is it in life, like really Patek thing or just right?

May 29, 2011 at 11:01 AM Post #6,011 of 14,276

Quote:
 How old is the watch?

3 months, and it's been happening since the onset. Perhaps a visit to Tourneau is in order. I can't find my book. I really think that I'm not hand winding it in the right position.

And BTW. are people saying that the watch I paid $3300 for is now $6000 
eek.gif

Quote:

That watch is absolutely beautiful! Just my style.

May 29, 2011 at 12:22 PM Post #6,012 of 14,276
I am not sure what movement you have but here is a PDF for the seamaster, hope it helps, it would be something really odd if the mainspring has gone on such a new watch, is it manual or automatic? If manual when you wind it you will feel resistance at the end of the winding, if automatic it is impossible to over wind as the mechanism contains a clutch to prevent overwinding.

Here is the PDF,
http://www.omegawatches.com/uploads/media/OMEGA_User_Manual_V12.pdf

May 29, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #6,013 of 14,276

Quote:
I am not sure what movement you have but here is a PDF for the seamaster, hope it helps, it would be something really odd if the mainspring has gone on such a new watch, is it manual or automatic? If manual when you wind it you will feel resistance at the end of the winding, if automatic it is impossible to over wind as the mechanism contains a clutch to prevent overwinding.

Here is the PDF,
http://www.omegawatches.com/uploads/media/OMEGA_User_Manual_V12.pdf

Wait, don't all winding watches these days have an ant-overwinding mechanism of some sort?

May 29, 2011 at 12:44 PM Post #6,014 of 14,276
Wait, don't all winding watches these days have an ant-overwinding mechanism of some sort?

Only automatics as far as I am aware have the clutch mechanism, they have had that for years. Manual wind (non automatic) though do not have this feature, once the mainspring is fully wound you will feel a resistance, it is really important to stop once that resistance is felt other wise things will be broken! I tend to wind my manual wind watches with a deal more care for that reason!

Also, a little tip with manual wind watches. Always wind at the same time each day as this helps maintain greater accuracy!

May 31, 2011 at 1:58 AM Post #6,015 of 14,276

Nope, that's not my watch. I just chose it because I liked the picture. If I had that kind of money I'd spend it on different stereo equipment. My most expensive watch is a Vostok Komandirskie K-34 that cost about $140. 
Quote:
HAHA! I really dig this Patek out of all the Pateks I could afford. I want something in the 40mm size and something that just works well on a 31 yearold wrist. I like this one because it looks different then the classic Patek, like owning a Rolex with a lightning bolt on the dial. Is this your watch? if so how thin is it in life, like really Patek thing or just right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back