Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Jun 1, 2011 at 12:57 AM Post #6,017 of 14,274

Quote:
I find Seiko to be a hard brand to research, they have a bunch of regional exclusive things that you can get in other countries, then they have the spring drive watches which they're weird about for some reason.  No particular reason for bringing this up, just because. 

I think what me and a lot of other people who post in threads like this away from quartz watches is the stepping motor.  These little stepping motors practically seem like an afterthought.  Technically, as long as it has 60 steps or a ratio to it via gearing or whatnot, it doesn't affect accuracy.  Come to think of it, I think most stepping motors have 240 positions, so there's probably a 4:1 gear between the motor and the face.  Probably the most immediate turn off is how the second hand never seems to land right on the dot.  Technically there's no benefit to it landing on the dot, but it it is so obviously meant to do so that it bugs me. 

These stepping motors also tend to make sound.  some make a "chock" sound, others make a "snik" sound, but if I can hear it with my shoulder relaxed an my elbow at 90 degrees, its too loud.  I had a Seiko with their kinetic movement, which was even worse.  Like an automatic, it uses motion to power itself, it uses it to charge a battery.  This gizmo made a surprising amount of noise. 

There's also a certain disingenuousness to an electronic device that it imitating a mechanical one.  come on, you couldn't come up with a creative way to use electricity to rotate a pointer?  No one has even bothered trying to come up with a way to make it happen smoothy*?  I'd probably use a contained magnetic field and a voice coil like device to make a circular motion, kind of like a hard drive arm.  It could maybe even be switched every pulse.  Come to think of it, a magnetic actuator would make a heck or a retrograde pointer. 

*The spring drive is more machine than man now more mechanical than quartz. 

Quality quartz watch second hands DO always land on the mark precisely.  

Jun 1, 2011 at 1:05 AM Post #6,018 of 14,274

Quote:
What's everyone's thought on the big price increase on the 2011 Omega Seamasters? 8500 movement and ceramic, but priced just shy of $6,000 for the base model.

That's why the price increased.  8500 movement base and ceramic bezel.  Although my PO chrono is the most accurate auto that I own, I would love it to have a cal. 8500 base and ceramic bezel.

Jun 1, 2011 at 3:21 AM Post #6,019 of 14,274

Quote:
That's why the price increased.  8500 movement base and ceramic bezel.  Although my PO chrono is the most accurate auto that I own, I would love it to have a cal. 8500 base and ceramic bezel.

I wouldn't mind having it either......
beerchug.gif

Jun 1, 2011 at 2:08 PM Post #6,020 of 14,274

Quote:

Yea I know that. Just curious what people's thoughts are.

Would you think about replacing yours?

Jun 1, 2011 at 6:17 PM Post #6,021 of 14,274

Quote:
Yea I know that. Just curious what people's thoughts are.
Would you think about replacing yours?

Not with my current financial situation!  If things improve, then, yes.

Jun 3, 2011 at 9:54 AM Post #6,022 of 14,274

Quote:

Mine doesn't.  It always lands in the middle, it seems. :frowning2:

Though I don't think mine is exceptionally accurate or anything.  A kinetic Seiko.  I'm gonna have to see about getting this fixed...it came like this, so I wonder if Seiko would fix it.

Jun 3, 2011 at 10:24 AM Post #6,023 of 14,274

Not strictly true I am afraid. I am lucky, my Omega Thermocompensated quartz does but nearly every breitling I have seen (and owned) has never met the marks. Which is why very often with the quartz breitlings you see multiple marks on the outside edge so you can't see the miss alignment so easily!

Believe it or not I have seen better consistency on Timex and Citizen models. In fact on certain more sophisticated Citizen eco drives they have a an adjustment feature to re-center the hands.

Nearly every standard quartz Omega I have seen does not line up the second hand with the marks.

Personally I do not see the point in buying a premium brand watch with a quartz movement that does not attain high accuracy, eg, like mine that is +/-4-10 seconds a year. A stock ETA quartz movement (which is what most high end Swiss watches contain) is literally a couple of bucks. To then charge thousands just because it has Omega or another Swiss higher end brand name is profiteering in the extreme I feel.

I am disappointed with Omega in particular as they have been producing High accuracy quartz watches for some time but now but my Constellation was the last of the high accuracy models. If I purchased the quartz constellation now it would A. cost me more and B. be only standard accuracy (+/- 15 seconds a month) and no perpetual calendar. I just do not see the point when I can get all of that in a hundred buck timex and the build is not that far behind!

Sorry! I go off on a rant. I love HEQ's but they seem to be going the way of the dodo, why charge a premium and then not put in the finest to match that premium? There is something intoxicating if you love horology to have on your wrist something so well engineered that it is accurate to 4-10 seconds a year without adjustment and when you charge several thousand dollars (My Omega was the wrong end of $3000!) there is no excuse to offer that sort of excellence!

Jun 3, 2011 at 12:51 PM Post #6,024 of 14,274

Quote:
Mine doesn't.  It always lands in the middle, it seems. :frowning2:

Though I don't think mine is exceptionally accurate or anything.  A kinetic Seiko.  I'm gonna have to see about getting this fixed...it came like this, so I wonder if Seiko would fix it.

I've got a few quartz watches that are as close to perfect as anything I've ever seen.  Omega Constellation, Omega X-33 Mars watch, MontBlanc Titanium Chrono Diver, and more I can't enumerate off hand.  Then there's the Quartz watches that don't have a conventional second hand like the Breitling Titanium/Tantalum Aerospace, 3-Tissot Titanium T-Touch, and others.  Their timekeeping is flawless.  If the hands don't or can't line up, don't buy the watch.

Jun 4, 2011 at 1:14 AM Post #6,025 of 14,274
I'm looking to get my first watch and am looking for recommendations.  I really like the look of the Lum-tec watches (particularly the combat b/f1 and m auto/chrono series) but also like the cleanness of Stowas, so I'm quite flexible on looks (just don't want something too bulky).  Looking to spend around $500 USD but also welcome cheaper alternatives.  I have a fairly small wrist so that may have to be taken into account.

Jun 4, 2011 at 1:46 AM Post #6,026 of 14,274

Quote:
I'm looking to get my first watch and am looking for recommendations.  I really like the look of the Lum-tec watches (particularly the combat b/f1 and m auto/chrono series) but also like the cleanness of Stowas, so I'm quite flexible on looks (just don't want something too bulky).  Looking to spend around $500 USD but also welcome cheaper alternatives.  I have a fairly small wrist so that may have to be taken into account.

I have a B2 and an M42 Phantom, as well as a Stowa MO...maybe I can answer questions that you have.  Some people say the Lum-tec watches are too expensive, but I think they're off...Lum-tecs are very well-made, well-supported by their creators, and have a rugged style without looking too gimmicky.  That being said, if you want a dress watch, the Stowas are just perfect.  For $500, you will have to go used, though, probably.  Maybe some of the Stowa dive watches are a little cheaper.

Jun 4, 2011 at 4:19 AM Post #6,027 of 14,274

Quote:
I am not sure what movement you have but here is a PDF for the seamaster, hope it helps, it would be something really odd if the mainspring has gone on such a new watch, is it manual or automatic? If manual when you wind it you will feel resistance at the end of the winding, if automatic it is impossible to over wind as the mechanism contains a clutch to prevent overwinding.

Here is the PDF,
http://www.omegawatches.com/uploads/media/OMEGA_User_Manual_V12.pdf

Thanks for that!

Jun 6, 2011 at 3:43 AM Post #6,028 of 14,274

Quote:

I have a B13 and a M24 Lum-Tec myself and will be picking up their B-16 when it comes out this year also. I use them for when i am at work or cleaning or dirty jobs. Before i used to use a Breitling Seawolf and a B&M Capeland S for this role but since taking ownership of the two Lum-Tecs I sold the other watches and gladly wear these with no regrets! That says allot about a small Ohio based company replacing two great Swiss COSC spec watches (i really loved the Breitling). The quality is of these two that cost me $800-$900 each is amazing and so is the fit and finish. The M24 is a large watch at 44mm and lately I been wearing the smaller watches of my collection so the M24 does not get much wrist time anymore, actually i would sell you mine if you wanted it. The B13 to me is the best of the Lum-Tec range and lately is has been getting as much wrist time as my Milgauss. It has a smaller fit and feel and the Nato strap is comfortable with no problems there. I even ordered a few more Natos in different colors and the watch just fits great with them. The support Chris (owner) and team give you is on the level few companies can.

I would suggest to anyone in this thread to check out a Lum-Tec B series watch. here is mine with a Bond NATO..

Jun 6, 2011 at 7:10 AM Post #6,029 of 14,274

Hey guys!

This is my second post on the forum. No one answered the first xD

I bring you my Casio EF-129 (Edifice Line). A very nice, reliable, all-metal watch, that cost me just 70€.

I hope you like it. I love Casio's because the watches are affordable and have a nice quality. My previous watch lasted 7 years before it broke the plastic bond beetween the watch ring itself (sorry, english isn't my primary language) and the bracelet. This one was, notably, quite cheaper and it's way smaller than the above (altough it may not seem so in the pics).

I hope you enjoy! Cheers

Jun 6, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #6,030 of 14,274
On my wrist today...
My trusty ol' Wenger. I've had it for MANY years, and it works flawlessly regardless of the beatings it's taken.
Incredibly accurate (even for a quartz). Some great wizbang features, and I think... a very handsome piece. Trusty and reliable (so long as it has a working battery).
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back