Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Feb 22, 2010 at 12:04 PM Post #4,531 of 14,270
biggrin.gif

/U.

Feb 24, 2010 at 10:45 PM Post #4,532 of 14,270
Newest addition: Breitling Navitimer Montbrillant Legende

IMG_2086.jpg

IMG_2084.jpg

CopyofIMG_2134.jpg

Feb 25, 2010 at 10:26 PM Post #4,537 of 14,270
My daily wear watch for over 12 years now. Just back from Germany from a complete overhaul (its first). This is an exact replica of a Fliegerchronograph 1939 Luftwaffe pilots watch. #944/2500 in a limited edition. Hanhart, now known more for their stopwatches, made the original pilot's watch for the Luftwaffe, and used the same matchining, dies and patterns to make the replica. I used to have an original (vintage) officer's watch, but I'm hard on my watches and it was too delicate to subject to my daily wear so I sold it. The movement on the replica is a manual-wind Valjoux 7760. I prefer military watches for their simple, austere designs and fast-read.

hanhart.jpg

Feb 28, 2010 at 12:24 AM Post #4,538 of 14,270
Was looking at a bunch of winders varying from some cheapos from ebay to some of the more expensive offerings from Orbita. I really liked the ones offered by Brookestone and Wolf Design, but Orbita just had too strong of a record in quality winders. And I also love their Sparta series. Altough Orbita released the mini to be a ladies watch winder, it seems to handle my Breitling Montbrillant Legende just fine. At a 47mm, it's nowhere close to a ladies watch.

Really gentle winder, takes about 4 mintues to load up and then it let's gravity do the rest. Then starts all over in 10 minutes. Absolutely silent. And comes with a 5 year warranty too! No worries about this one crapping out in 6 months.

Here is the video I made (you can skip to about the 4 minute mark to really see how it works):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ppTmo4Wzbk

Feb 28, 2010 at 1:03 AM Post #4,540 of 14,270
Quote:

Originally Posted by kevin gilmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This may not be around long, so drool while you can.
FOXNews.com - Watches That Cost More Than Houses!

Yick. Most of those watches are hideously ugly. Me think it's more than the price keeping people away.

Mar 14, 2010 at 7:36 PM Post #4,541 of 14,270
Well, I've thought about this long and hard for the past few months: It's my Dad's 50th birthday coming up this week and my mother and I wanted to get something special for him so we decided to get him a good, high end watch - something we know he has wanted for a long time, but will never buy for himself. We've been looking at options over the time trying to decide what the best one was, and in the end, we decided to go with out first instinct which was to buy a Rolex - a brand he knows and appreciates. The particular model I was looking for was not in stock with my (as local as they will get) AD, but they were able to order it, and just yesterday, I got the call telling me that it had arrived and was ready to be picked up at my convenience:

basel-2009-rolex-submariner-gold-steel-black-dial.jpg

Rolex Submariner 116613LN

When we had been looking through the watches Rolex offers, we decided to go with a sport watch from the Professional line over a formal Perpetual model because Dad has been favoring more sport watches as he gets older. Initially, we decided to throw out any Rolex which was solid gold or had lots of diamonds as the 'blingyness' that some of those models are capable of attaining is just absurd. Initial plan had been a stainless steel base model 16613, but while I was looking around online for reviews, impressions and articles, I came across articles about the new Subs that were announced low key at BaselWorld 2009 and when my Mom and I saw the pics, they just clicked and we knew this had to be the perfect watch. I've already started getting that nervous/excited feeling as I'm waiting the last 48-60 hours before I'll pick it up, and with luck, I'll snag some pictures before we present it to him!

Mar 15, 2010 at 1:42 AM Post #4,544 of 14,270
Quote:

Originally Posted by appophylite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
something we know he has wanted for a long time, but will never buy for himself.

This is just what a gift should be. Very nice choice. I am sure your father will be very, very appreciative!

Mar 15, 2010 at 2:41 AM Post #4,545 of 14,270
Quote:

Originally Posted by appophylite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I've thought about this long and hard for the past few months: It's my Dad's 50th birthday coming up this week and my mother and I wanted to get something special for him so we decided to get him a good, high end watch - something we know he has wanted for a long time, but will never buy for himself. We've been looking at options over the time trying to decide what the best one was, and in the end, we decided to go with out first instinct which was to buy a Rolex - a brand he knows and appreciates. The particular model I was looking for was not in stock with my (as local as they will get) AD, but they were able to order it, and just yesterday, I got the call telling me that it had arrived and was ready to be picked up at my convenience:

basel-2009-rolex-submariner-gold-steel-black-dial.jpg

Rolex Submariner 116613LN

When we had been looking through the watches Rolex offers, we decided to go with a sport watch from the Professional line over a formal Perpetual model because Dad has been favoring more sport watches as he gets older. Initially, we decided to throw out any Rolex which was solid gold or had lots of diamonds as the 'blingyness' that some of those models are capable of attaining is just absurd. Initial plan had been a stainless steel base model 16613, but while I was looking around online for reviews, impressions and articles, I came across articles about the new Subs that were announced low key at BaselWorld 2009 and when my Mom and I saw the pics, they just clicked and we knew this had to be the perfect watch. I've already started getting that nervous/excited feeling as I'm waiting the last 48-60 hours before I'll pick it up, and with luck, I'll snag some pictures before we present it to him!

That's a beaut!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back