Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Nov 6, 2009 at 8:10 PM Post #3,961 of 14,276
Quote:

You should keep in mind that a Stowa isn't the kind of watch you're going to wear for a year or two and eventually toss when it no longer works. It's a mechanical creation that can always be fixed and outlast you if you take relatively good care of it.

Except that cleaning, maintenance, and repair aren't cheap and almost certainly cost far more than buying a new quartz watch annually

Nov 6, 2009 at 9:04 PM Post #3,962 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arainach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Except that cleaning, maintenance, and repair aren't cheap and almost certainly cost far more than buying a new quartz watch annually

Quartz movements sometimes need maintenance as well. We're talking higher-end quartz watches, not your $50 swatch. It's not a condition restricted to automatics.

Nov 7, 2009 at 8:43 AM Post #3,963 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should keep in mind that a Stowa isn't the kind of watch you're going to wear for a year or two and eventually toss when it no longer works. It's a mechanical creation that can always be fixed and outlast you if you take relatively good care of it.

Of course, this is the main reason to buy a nice automatic watch, and certainly one of my motivations. I love the work that goes into design and manufacture of mechanical mechanisms like this, and also appreciate the history behind this watch and watch maker.

Doesn't change the fact that it's C$900 after conversion, shipping, and tax, though.

Nov 7, 2009 at 9:05 AM Post #3,964 of 14,276
Received my Victorinox on Tuesday, but I haven't worn it yet. It's quite a pretty watch in person! Unfortunately, its cosmetic condition isn't quite as good as what the seller described. There are rub marks on the bottom edge of most of the PVD dimples on the left side. I could see it in the item photos, and I specifically asked the seller about them, and he told me they were light reflections. It's pretty obvious it was lying on its side and was gradually worn. I contacted him through eBay, but he seems to be ignoring me.

Not sure how to proceed. I doubt I would spend more than I did on the watch, and I got a reasonable price ($450 on a $1000-1200 watch). You can't really see the wear when it's on my wrist, and I don't plan to baby it, so I'm sure it will pick up more. On the other hand, it bugs me that it was misrepresented, especially since I actually asked about the rub marks.

Nov 7, 2009 at 10:01 AM Post #3,965 of 14,276
Quote:

Quartz movements sometimes need maintenance as well. We're talking higher-end quartz watches, not your $50 swatch. It's not a condition restricted to automatics.

....and? The point is, arguing that it's worth spending more than a thousand dollars on a watch because it'll last a while with maintenance is silly. For just that initial thousand dollars, I could buy a $20 watch a year for the next half century. When you factor in maintenance costs on a high-end watch, I could probably buy a $50 Swatch every couple years for the rest of my life and come out ahead.

Nov 7, 2009 at 11:47 AM Post #3,966 of 14,276
Something rugged & simple like the mudman keeps me happy ...

G-SHOCK_watch68739.jpg

Nov 7, 2009 at 1:57 PM Post #3,967 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob_McBob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Received my Victorinox on Tuesday, but I haven't worn it yet. It's quite a pretty watch in person! Unfortunately, its cosmetic condition isn't quite as good as what the seller described. There are rub marks on the bottom edge of most of the PVD dimples on the left side. I could see it in the item photos, and I specifically asked the seller about them, and he told me they were light reflections. It's pretty obvious it was lying on its side and was gradually worn. I contacted him through eBay, but he seems to be ignoring me.

Not sure how to proceed. I doubt I would spend more than I did on the watch, and I got a reasonable price ($450 on a $1000-1200 watch). You can't really see the wear when it's on my wrist, and I don't plan to baby it, so I'm sure it will pick up more. On the other hand, it bugs me that it was misrepresented, especially since I actually asked about the rub marks.

That sucks man. I hate when things like that happen. I currently have 9 or 10 watches I'm selling on ebay right now, and even though I always take lots of pictures in every conceivable lighting, I under-exaggerate the condition of the watches so people are not disappointed. This way when they get it, it is in better condition that what they were expecting. I've never had a problem with any of the watches Ive sold on ebay this way.

Nov 7, 2009 at 6:43 PM Post #3,969 of 14,276
Nov 7, 2009 at 6:54 PM Post #3,970 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arainach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
....and? The point is, arguing that it's worth spending more than a thousand dollars on a watch because it'll last a while with maintenance is silly. For just that initial thousand dollars, I could buy a $20 watch a year for the next half century. When you factor in maintenance costs on a high-end watch, I could probably buy a $50 Swatch every couple years for the rest of my life and come out ahead.

It seems that you've missed the point entirely of a mechanical watch.

I would go into the specifics of why those who love them love them, and why they're so popular, but what's the point? This is the respect for craft and ingenuity, and a bit of anachronistic entertainment in a world where electronics are impossible to escape.

I'm simply surprised that someone willing to accept anything related to audiophilia would be so disparaging of something so very similar. I think, at this point, you should probably just say "Oh, I don't get it, maybe I shouldn't bother."

Nov 7, 2009 at 9:14 PM Post #3,971 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by MadDog5145 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're looking for an alternative try this out:
Limited Edition · Sonderedition 2009 / 111 Stück weltweit - Steinhart Watches

I've looked at every flieger you can get, from cheap Chinese knock-offs to several thousand dollar IWCs, and I keep coming back to the Stowa. It's pretty much the perfect expression of this design to me. Anyhow, it's only 75 euros more than the Steinhart, so it's not a matter of choosing the cheaper watch.

Nov 7, 2009 at 10:01 PM Post #3,973 of 14,276
Quote:

I would go into the specifics of why those who love them love them, and why they're so popular, but what's the point? This is the respect for craft and ingenuity, and a bit of anachronistic entertainment in a world where electronics are impossible to escape.

I think Mechanical Watches are nice. I think anyone who's claiming that there's any sort of economical sense in buying one is off their rocker. There are reasons to own them. Lower cost, either initially or over the lifetime of the watch, are not among them.

Nov 8, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #3,974 of 14,276
$900 is very good value for a watch that has the fit, finish, and history of the Stowa. You can't go wrong with them, really.

Check out the Christopher Ward C8 flieger, its 239GBP, so quite a bit less than the Stowa, same ETA2824-2 movement, sapphire crystal, but without the history of the Stowa name.

Speaking of which, is there an iconic flieger design, 'the first', as it were?

Nov 8, 2009 at 1:00 AM Post #3,975 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by vagarach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check out the Christopher Ward C8 flieger, its 239GBP, so quite a bit less than the Stowa, same ETA2824-2 movement, sapphire crystal, but without the history of the Stowa name.

All those colours just ruin the design for me.

DSCF2189.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back