Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Oct 29, 2009 at 12:09 AM Post #3,931 of 14,276
Posted this on What, but got no responses even in general @_@

I decided to buy this beauty at a nearly-new sale meant to raise money for one of the local hospitals (I also bought a bunch of suits and other clothes, but that's beyond the point). It cost me a somewhat bothersome $75 (as everything else at the sale carried the traits of being almost brand new and being dirt cheap). It was more than I wanted to spend, but it was to a good cause and I thought fine, it looked rare, and it grew on me.

I was wondering if anyone knew any more about this watch than I could gather from the internet. I think it's from the 30's. I think it's a gold case, although it seems tarnished/mucked by what was probably years and years of use. It has what appears to be marked "Germany Le Mans" on what's left of the leather encasement. It still runs and is currently going strong at -15 seconds after 2 days. I know it's got an 8-day power reserve and is a concord 15-jewel mechanical movement.

What is everyone's opinion on restoration? I had in mind getting it refurbished/restored at RGM, as I may be in Lancaster in the near future and I've heard great things about them.

Here's some pics for you all:

_MG_2536.jpg

_MG_2531.jpg

_MG_2530.jpg

_MG_2529.jpg

_MG_2528.jpg

_MG_2527.jpg

_MG_2526.jpg

_MG_2525.jpg

Oct 29, 2009 at 2:59 AM Post #3,934 of 14,276
I just picked up my first automatic on a bit of a whim: Victorinox Alpnach Automatic Chrono. I don't plan to make a collection of watches or anything like that, but I'd been thinking about getting a nice automatic chrono for quite a while, and this definitely fits the bill. Looking forward to receiving it next week
smily_headphones1.gif

BdNYjDQCGkKGrHqUOKjMEq5RRLe9mBK33bidnuQ_12.JPG

BdNYlGgCGkKGrHqIOKkIEq4Mu1BK33bpEVhw_12.JPG

BdNYwdgmkKGrHqYOKiIEq5ClsvdlBK33cOHK-Q_12.JPG

Oct 29, 2009 at 1:07 PM Post #3,936 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by ka-boom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
b_1240732344703041775.jpg

Well... I placed my order with Getat for that watch I posted above at 1:30pm on 10/22/09.
Skeleton back, polished metal.

We'll see how long it takes to get here.

After a week of not hearing from this Getat I kindly emailed and asked for a tracking number or some verification that this has/was shipped. I got this response:

Quote:

Hello, Your watch was assemble today. Now is for running checking for 40 hours. I can send to you on 30/10. So sorry for need 7 days production time because many orders and labour shortage last week.

Regards,
Getat Watch CO.
Tat

WHAT?! Labor shortage?! Aren't these things made & shipped from China?! Since when are the Chinese ever short on labor? So now it took a week just to start assembly, 2 days to "test" it, and according to their website another 2-6 weeks for shipping? So I'm looking at potentially 7 weeks and 2 days just to get it.

Never again.

Oct 29, 2009 at 1:28 PM Post #3,937 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by ka-boom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After a week of not hearing from this Getat I kindly emailed and asked for a tracking number or some verification that this has/was shipped. I got this response:

WHAT?! Labor shortage?! Aren't these things made & shipped from China?! Since when are the Chinese ever short on labor? So now it took a week just to start assembly, 2 days to "test" it, and according to their website another 2-6 weeks for shipping? So I'm looking at potentially 7 weeks and 2 days just to get it.

Never again.

Doesn't seem unreasonable to me at all. It took 9 days for it to be assembled, tested and shipped.

Oct 29, 2009 at 7:12 PM Post #3,941 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arainach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it's tarnished, it's probably Brass. Gold is nonreactive and doesn't tarnish.

Yeah, upon review probably, but gold does get surface tarnish (although not in the actual defined sense of the word- it gets junk that builds up on the surface from handling and air-based deposits as opposed to actually reacting to the oxygen).

Got my new watch in today, I'll have pics up by next wee as I'm a bit busy atm. Yobokies makes some seriously good stuff. Sapphire crystal is everything I'd hoped for.

Oct 30, 2009 at 2:16 PM Post #3,942 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanTheMiataMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any suggestions for a womens watch non automatic sub 100 that is small, simple (aka not chrono) and can take a hell of a beating.

If she likes something sporty than I would suggest looking at women's dive watches in stainless, not those with a rubber surround. I got one of these for my wife several years ago and she uses it every day.

Oct 30, 2009 at 5:49 PM Post #3,943 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by BobMcN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If she likes something sporty than I would suggest looking at women's dive watches in stainless, not those with a rubber surround. I got one of these for my wife several years ago and she uses it every day.

Dive watches she finds to be to "bulky" she is a fan of smaller watches

Oct 31, 2009 at 4:52 PM Post #3,944 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanTheMiataMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dive watches she finds to be to "bulky" she is a fan of smaller watches

How about a Skaagen? My soon-to-be Mother-InLaw has a couple of them, and they're really simple and very clean. Nice designs, great combinations of metal colorings. I think they start at around $100, but I could be wrong.

Oct 31, 2009 at 8:06 PM Post #3,945 of 14,276
While I wait for my Getat to come in the mail, I convinced myself today that I need want a Lum-Tec watch. So I'm driving up Tuesday to an authorized jewelry store near Lum-Tec's home office to buy one.

I'm just having a heckuva time deciding on the C1 or the C3. I'm concerned the C3's "phantom" glass may be too hard to read, so I need to see it in person before spending that kind of money.

C1web538.jpg

[size=large]C1[/size]

C3-5web538.jpg

[size=large]C3[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back