Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Oct 26, 2009 at 7:19 AM Post #3,917 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by woof37 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cool. You going to restore it or wear it as-is?

as is, i think the worn/weathered look gives it character/history

it was my grandfathers

Oct 26, 2009 at 7:27 AM Post #3,918 of 14,276
Very beautiful watch! Only a Rolex is a Rolex.

Does that have a sapphire crystal? 1000Ft. means yes? I can't remember.

Anyway, those tritium dial, no-gold-surround Subs and SDs are just classic. There's a fantastic "triple 6" Sea Dweller pictured in this thread that is one of the nicest watches I've seen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by flecom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
new to the collection

IMG_0978.jpg

IMG_0979.jpg

Oct 26, 2009 at 7:39 AM Post #3,919 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjkurita /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very beautiful watch! Only a Rolex is a Rolex.

Does that have a sapphire crystal? 1000Ft. means yes? I can't remember.

Anyway, those tritium dial, no-gold-surround Subs and SDs are just classic. There's a fantastic "triple 6" Sea Dweller pictured in this thread that is one of the nicest watches I've seen.

yes it sapphire, even then its been chipped quite a few times between 12 and 2 o'clock and the bezel is pretty much immovable... I am probably going to try and get the bezel repaired when I send the watch to be serviced/lubricated/regulated etc... since I am 99% certain in the entire time he owned it its never been serviced...

i do love this watch very much, unfortunately the tritium died long ago and I don't want to replace the face, so its just going to be dark unless I can find someone that can redo it perhaps with super-lume, but I would be afraid of changing its look in any way

Oct 26, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #3,920 of 14,276
I'm sure you already know, BUT: Please don't have the dial changed or re-lumed. I think you would regret that decision if you ever decided to sell it. I wouldn't even have the case polished or worked on if I were you. I would simply have the crystal replaced with a period replacement and the movement overhauled, including waterproofing. Which might make a tube and crown replacement necessary... That is, if you are going to use it like a tool watch...

If you are going to have the watch serviced I would recommend you send it to THIS place. The person who runs this shop literally "wrote the book" on Rolex watches. Also, Rolex itself regularly refers customers to them when watches are are outside their normal service age. QualityTyme will ensure that your watch has proper replacement parts and they will be able to preserve the originality of your watch in ways that Rolex will not. In fact, Rolex would probably completely re-do your watch and replace the dial with a modern one with white gold surrounds. They'll polish the lugs and replace the bezel and crystal. Basically make it a like a new Sub with an old movement... That would be a real waste, as far as I'm concerned.

Enjoy it for what it is! A near-future classic!

Quote:

Originally Posted by flecom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes it sapphire, even then its been chipped quite a few times between 12 and 2 o'clock and the bezel is pretty much immovable... I am probably going to try and get the bezel repaired when I send the watch to be serviced/lubricated/regulated etc... since I am 99% certain in the entire time he owned it its never been serviced...

i do love this watch very much, unfortunately the tritium died long ago and I don't want to replace the face, so its just going to be dark unless I can find someone that can redo it perhaps with super-lume, but I would be afraid of changing its look in any way

Oct 27, 2009 at 12:45 AM Post #3,921 of 14,276
I remember reading a story I think on watchuseek, about an officer in the US military who sent his old Vietnam-era GMT Master with pepsi bezel to Rolex to get it overhauled. In their Swiss perfectionist way they couldn't comprehend why he made a special request for them to leave the faded bezel as-is (the red had become a soft pink) and service the rest of the watch.

Oct 27, 2009 at 1:44 AM Post #3,922 of 14,276
Quote:

I'm sure you already know, BUT: Please don't have the dial changed or re-lumed. I think you would regret that decision if you ever decided to sell it. I wouldn't even have the case polished or worked on if I were you. I would simply have the crystal replaced with a period replacement and the movement overhauled, including waterproofing. Which might make a tube and crown replacement necessary... That is, if you are going to use it like a tool watch...

no i agree, im probably going to leave everything aesthetic as-is, even the crystal (its not chipped to the point of concern) the only thing i would like to fix is the bezel is so full of crap between it and the watch itself that it is almost completely immovable... but i dont want to change anything aesthetically... my friend just had his serviced (was an older 600ft model) and they changed everything on it, was a real shame if you ask me... i like the fact its old, and still runs just fine, to me that speaks a lot more than how shiny it is
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

If you are going to have the watch serviced I would recommend you send it to THIS place. The person who runs this shop literally "wrote the book" on Rolex watches. Also, Rolex itself regularly refers customers to them when watches are are outside their normal service age. QualityTyme will ensure that your watch has proper replacement parts and they will be able to preserve the originality of your watch in ways that Rolex will not. In fact, Rolex would probably completely re-do your watch and replace the dial with a modern one with white gold surrounds. They'll polish the lugs and replace the bezel and crystal. Basically make it a like a new Sub with an old movement... That would be a real waste, as far as I'm concerned.

Enjoy it for what it is! A near-future classic!

I will look into them, thanks for the advice
smily_headphones1.gif

they might be able to help me with another rolex i have... a ref 4500 pre daytona manual wind chronograph... someone (butcher, evil person etc) removed the entire chronograph section of the movement for unknown reasons, it still functions as a watch tho...

img0865.jpg

img0874.jpg

Oct 27, 2009 at 5:52 PM Post #3,923 of 14,276
Does anyone know some watchmaker that offers watches that are similar looking to Hublot Big Ban series?? I don't think I can shell out 10k+ for watch but I can if its within $3000 bracket. I seriously love the look of big ban... very industrial, all black look... sexy
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 27, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #3,924 of 14,276
Quote:

Originally Posted by DC5Zilla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know some watchmaker that offers watches that are similar looking to Hublot Big Ban series?? I don't think I can shell out 10k+ for watch but I can if its within $3000 bracket. I seriously love the look of big ban... very industrial, all black look... sexy
smily_headphones1.gif

A bit of advice, DC5Zilla? Find the one you want, save save save, and SCOUR the for sale forums as long as it takes to find one. The Hublots are desirable, but like any high-$$$ watch, the resale values are substantially below list and the prospective buyer demographic shinks considerably at that price point. Be vigilant, and you'll land your watch. Then stop. Don't be one of these people that own 10 watches and actually like one or two of them. Buy the one you like and stick with it. Just my two bits.

Oct 28, 2009 at 11:14 AM Post #3,926 of 14,276
got Tissot V8 for my bday:
V82009LEATHER.jpg

what do u guys think.

also have skagen titanium dual time..bought it on singapore airlines:
140013_TOKfckzBe.jpg

Oct 28, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #3,927 of 14,276
I just resurrected my dad's vintage Omega manual wind-up watch. I just have to remember to wind it every day (not an easy trick for those of use used to batteries) since it's only a 24 hour spring. It's also engraved for his 40 years of service with AT&T, so it has some sentimentality.

It looks very much like this one, but in silver, not gold and with a black leather band. Oh yeah, it's probably about 30+ years old at this point.

omega7175.jpg

Oct 28, 2009 at 8:17 PM Post #3,929 of 14,276
I also just resurrected this priceless (sic) beauty by putting a new battery in it. Of all the watches I own I get more comments on this one than anything else.

seiko_mickey_arms_men.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back