Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Oct 16, 2009 at 3:19 PM Post #3,887 of 14,268
Quote:

Originally Posted by leftnose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The problem that I have with the Spirit line is that they are just a tiny bit undersized for us Americans. I'm not saying that I want a Panerai sized Spirit but something right around 40-42 mm vs. the 38 that they are. I bought mine from Seiya and I had to replace the strap as soon as I got the watch because it was too short for my 7-3/8" wrist.

BTW, I'll put my March 2004 contract SAR w/ bracelet that I bought for $500 up against a Spirit any day. Depending on the value of the US$ at the moment, I could put a Stowa up against them as well (I don't own one but I will be buying a Marine Original when, hopefully, the dollar recovers a bit).

That's one of the watches I have in mind when someone says "anything under $1k" (and I'm not picking on you Mercuttio). The GSAR/TSAR/JSAR/SAR watches are just outstanding timepieces and can take a beating, too.

Oct 16, 2009 at 3:39 PM Post #3,888 of 14,268
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio-Omega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are Grand Seiko watches a lot better in quality than other Seiko watches ?

Although I do not own one yet, all indications are.. A gigantic "YES!!"

The GS movements and the watches are hand built and hand finished as opposed to the run of the mill $300/$400 Seiko is mostly robot assembled of robot created parts.

Oct 17, 2009 at 4:49 PM Post #3,889 of 14,268
Quote:

Originally Posted by woof37 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's one of the watches I have in mind when someone says "anything under $1k" (and I'm not picking on you Mercuttio). The GSAR/TSAR/JSAR/SAR watches are just outstanding timepieces and can take a beating, too.

Well, I DO deserve to be picked on for that particular statement.

Quote:

Are Grand Seiko watches a lot better in quality than other Seiko watches ?

But yeah, a Grand Seiko is not only hand-made in a way that comparable brands aren't (Omega, Rolex, etc) but Seiko actually guarantees far tighter tolerances for time than even COSC. Not for all, but for many mechanicals. My understanding is that you even get a signed card from the watchmaker who made your particular watch... really cool stuff. It's very "old school" in its packaging and presentation.

seiko8.jpg

Yes, I want one. My Swiss itch is fully satisfied with my trio of Omegas... old Gold bumper (1950s), Seamaster GMT, and my precious engagement Speedy. I may not get another watch for quite some time, but I'm willing to bet it'll be a Seiko next time around. Something like this one:

seiko1.jpg

seiko4.jpg

seiko7.jpg

Oct 17, 2009 at 5:44 PM Post #3,890 of 14,268
I like this watch, a lot.
Sigh, I wish that I was born into a family or an area where fine craftsmanship, such as watchmaking or wine making, was the predominant career path.

I think I really would have enjoyed finely crafting guitars or watches for a living. My father is an advertising artist and unfortunately, art and music did not sit well in the path in my plans for life.
I have to settle for living vicariously by playing air guitar to Eddie Van Halen.

seiko1.jpg

Oct 17, 2009 at 9:31 PM Post #3,892 of 14,268
the $200-300 seikos usualy carry a non hacking non handwinding movement, usualy a 7S25/26/35/36
while the $500 to $1000 tend to carry a handwinding, hacking movement, usualy a 6R15,

i have had a Seiko 5 and the quality is quite good, but having to resort to tricks (holding back the crown) to get the seconds hand to stop and having to swirl it around insted of handwinding it gets annoying at some times, my 7S36 powered Seiko 5 was dead on stop for accuracy, but my 7S35 powered samurai was always running a couple of minutes fast, so i guess its a bit of hit and miss, both werent worth the money of having a good clocksmith have then tunned,

i have little expiriance with the 6R15 but expiriances are good,
but then again, the creep up to entery level swiss automaic price, 2824-2 powred Certinas, hamiltons or tissots arent far off from the price of a 6R15 powred seiko prospex or alpinist,

then again, i wouldnt mind having this on my arm, SeiyaJapan | Grand Seiko | G-Shock | Seiko Spirit | Prospex | Marinemaster | Citizen | SEIKO Mechanical SARB063 ALPINIST Limited Edition

Oct 18, 2009 at 12:11 PM Post #3,894 of 14,268
Seiya japan, higuchi or if you speak japanese watch tanaka will deliver them to your doorstep, the issue is that many of the japan only watches will be rejected by Seiko services outside japan and will require that you find a service point in japan that provides international service or a good watch shop to service it,

Oct 18, 2009 at 6:44 PM Post #3,895 of 14,268
Quote:

That's a nice Grand Seiko. Is it as comfortable to wear as Omega ? Where is the official website ? Are they available outside Japan ?

My understanding is that they are as comfortable as an Omega, and certainly any of the ~$500 watches I've had from Seiko have been just about as comfortable.

If you buy from Seiya Japan, he will take care of any warranty issues (I understand they're quite rare) that you might have. Send your watch back to him, and he'll get it serviced for you at no charge as long as you're within your warranty.

Oct 20, 2009 at 3:38 PM Post #3,896 of 14,268
C1_web2_220.245121207_std.jpg

Man I am lusting after the Lum-Tec watches, specifically the C series.

I'd like to see them before I spend $500+ on one. I wish they were bigger than 38mm though. :\ The 1 year warranty isn't very encouraging either, but damn they look sweet.

I only live 2 hours from their factory, or whatever it is in Mentor Ohio, maybe I should see if I can arrange a tour or see them in a show room?

Oct 20, 2009 at 5:24 PM Post #3,897 of 14,268
Yeah I'd like to see them too, curious to see if they look like a kids watch on my arm since my arms kinda slim. But very interested in the C series and Bull series watches. Although I cant drop 600 bucks on one just yet.

Oct 21, 2009 at 1:47 AM Post #3,898 of 14,268
That's my super-cheap (almost fake) Submariner homage. It's 5sec fast per day and works like a charm. not bad for a 26$ ebay find. It have many flaws, but it is my first ever mechanical watch. I am curently looking into a Parnis pilot from Getat (with the new superluminova lume). And maybe a 47mm Marina Homage ...

subhomage.jpg

Oct 21, 2009 at 4:01 AM Post #3,899 of 14,268
Quote:

Originally Posted by noxlord /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's my super-cheap (almost fake) Submariner homage. It's 5sec fast per day and works like a charm. not bad for a 26$ ebay find. It have many flaws, but it is my first ever mechanical watch. I am curently looking into a Parnis pilot from Getat (with the new superluminova lume). And maybe a 47mm Marina Homage ...

Wow...I took a look at Getat's website just for the heck of it. Those are some seriously nice-looking watches for very low $$$. I like the Stowa MO clone, not bad at all.

Oct 21, 2009 at 10:12 AM Post #3,900 of 14,268

Users who are viewing this thread

Back