Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Nov 8, 2009 at 2:39 AM Post #3,977 of 14,268
Bored today:
IMG_1983.jpg

IMG_1986.jpg

Nov 8, 2009 at 5:14 AM Post #3,978 of 14,268
Quote:

Originally Posted by vagarach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$900 is very good value for a watch that has the fit, finish, and history of the Stowa. You can't go wrong with them, really.

Check out the Christopher Ward C8 flieger, its 239GBP, so quite a bit less than the Stowa, same ETA2824-2 movement, sapphire crystal, but without the history of the Stowa name.

Speaking of which, is there an iconic flieger design, 'the first', as it were?

My favorite fleiger design;
w3.jpg

Nov 8, 2009 at 10:48 AM Post #3,979 of 14,268
i would love to have a chrono as shown above, but i just can not understand the latest trend of wearing such oversize watches. I am a well built man of stocky proportions, i drink rocket fuel for breakfast and sprinkle shards of razor wire on my pizza, just to add a bit of spice of course.
I find a case diameter of around 38mm to be the absolute maximum, any more and it makes even a demigod of a mortal like myself look like a pencil wristed specimen of a man.
Great watch, just too freakin' big (i did see an Omega 'mid size' chrono on a friends wrist the other day after he returned from a tour of Afghanistan which looked the perfect size for such a busy watch). Thank the Lord for Hamilton churning out the Khaki mechanical in a 33mm case.

Nov 8, 2009 at 12:14 PM Post #3,980 of 14,268
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickyboyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find a case diameter of around 38mm to be the absolute maximum, any more and it makes even a demigod of a mortal like myself look like a pencil wristed specimen of a man.

You think 38mm is bad? Check out a 55mm Laco. Now this is just funny:

Picture030_resize.jpg

Nov 8, 2009 at 4:56 PM Post #3,981 of 14,268
Quote:

Originally Posted by leftnose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's up with the numbers on the bezel? Why are they 'backwards'? At first I thought they were for GMT hand but there are only 12 and they run counter-clockwise. And there's no GMT hand!

ooppss.. sorry for very delayed reply
i noticed that too and i do not know why these were on backwards sequence .. i was attracted to its general appearance .. will try to look for one on my next HK trip if Dodane is available there... if i see a store that sells these i will look for answers

edit: i think most of the stores are in France
frown.gif

Dodane watches and chronographs manufacture in 1905 - Dodane 1857

Nov 9, 2009 at 2:14 AM Post #3,984 of 14,268
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickyboyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you sure that the 55mm Laco is meant to be worn on the wrist? That thing wouldn't look out of place hanging on the wall. Nice simple design though.

The original b-uhr/flieger watches were 55mm, because they were meant to be worn over the sleeve of a flight suit (with an extra-long strap). This size is obviously completely unwearable for regular use, so most of the modern versions are sized down. Laco makes a limited edition 55mm replica in the original specifications for something like 2500 EUR, which is what's pictured.

Nov 9, 2009 at 7:07 AM Post #3,985 of 14,268
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob_McBob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The original b-uhr/flieger watches were 55mm, because they were meant to be worn over the sleeve of a flight suit (with an extra-long strap). This size is obviously completely unwearable for regular use, so most of the modern versions are sized down. Laco makes a limited edition 55mm replica in the original specifications for something like 2500 EUR, which is what's pictured.

Would have been cheaper to fit a clock in the airplane's cockpit.

Nov 9, 2009 at 9:46 PM Post #3,988 of 14,268
Quote:

Originally Posted by ka-boom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well... I placed my order with Getat for that watch I posted above at 1:30pm on 10/22/09.
Skeleton back, polished metal.

We'll see how long it takes to get here.

Came in the mail about an hour ago. Total time: 19 days roughly.

Pretty impressed so far. This thing is built very nice for a "homage" watch. The band is very impressive. Up until this point 44mm was the biggest watch I have, this is 47mm and I think it looks way too big on my wrist. Hopefully it will "grow" on me. The ticking sound is louder than what I'm used to. I don't mind, but others might.

Forgive all the ceiling and patio reflections, I didn't have the time to set up any mobile studios.

e8662e.jpg

kasbrk.jpg

zisjm1.jpg

33lcigm.jpg

a9vyo.jpg

2j3pf2g.jpg

mwvfqp.jpg

Nov 10, 2009 at 12:34 AM Post #3,989 of 14,268
Quote:

Originally Posted by leftnose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see three Panny's (a California Dial, a PAM312?, and a Luminor Marina?) and a Seamaster (I think). What's the blue Flieger?

Pam 111
Pam 127
Omega Seasmaster
Steinhart LGE Pilot
And this Cali homage:
IMG_1320.jpg

IMG_1338.jpg

IMG_1344.jpg

IMG_1334.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back