Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Sep 13, 2018 at 1:28 PM Post #12,572 of 14,276
They look nice, but I find that fabric straps invariably start fraying after a while.

I'd recommend looking at "Rubber B" (https://rubberb.com/en) as an alternative. I had one for my old Sub and loved it
Thanks for the compliment and input.
Actually, the ends of the nylon are folded under and stitched very nicely. They'll probably last longer than I will!
The only problem is the inside of the gray colored strap getting dirty from sweat, but then again, it only costs $17.99 to replace.

Sep 13, 2018 at 10:16 PM Post #12,574 of 14,276
Switched out the stainless bracelets on both my 16220 & PRS200 to nylon straps for a nice sporty look.
Also waiting for a rust colored bund strap to arrive for the Submariner for a change.

Great watches and straps!!

That's actually a 116234 you've got there, not a 16220. The 16220 was a previous generation Oystercase with thinner brushed lugs and a machine turned steel bezel. The 116234 has the new DJ case with thicker, polished lugs and white gold bezel.

Having said, the 116234 was launched in 2004 which is right when when Rolex started engraving the rehaut, which your lacks. This is either a very, very early 116234 or... Out of interest, what is SN prefix letter?

Sep 13, 2018 at 11:49 PM Post #12,575 of 14,276
Great watches and straps!!

That's actually a 116234 you've got there, not a 16220. The 16220 was a previous generation Oystercase with thinner brushed lugs and a machine turned steel bezel. The 116234 has the new DJ case with thicker, polished lugs and white gold bezel.

Having said, the 116234 was launched in 2004 which is right when when Rolex started engraving the rehaut, which your lacks. This is either a very, very early 116234 or... Out of interest, what is SN prefix letter?
Thank you.
My mistake. You're 100% correct. I had my 16220 on my mind when posting this because I wasn't sure which model I wanted the black strap on, but then decided the rhodium dial would go better than my black dial 16220.
My 116234 is a 'D' serial# (Summer of '05) according to this site which is where I'm getting my information from. And yes, it lacks the Rehaut.
I've seen slight variations from site to site regarding serial#'s and years as well. Below is the photo of my SS 16220 w/engine turned bezel stick markers which is an 'F' serial# (Fall of '03). I have one question. If Rolex started with the Rehaut in '04 why wouldn't my '05 116324 have it instead of having it between the lugs at the 6 o'clock position? Thanks.

P1020956.JPG

Sep 14, 2018 at 7:14 AM Post #12,576 of 14,276
Thank you.
My mistake. You're 100% correct. I had my 16220 on my mind when posting this because I wasn't sure which model I wanted the black strap on, but then decided the rhodium dial would go better than my black dial 16220.
My 116234 is a 'D' serial# (Summer of '05) according to this site which is where I'm getting my information from. And yes, it lacks the Rehaut.
I've seen slight variations from site to site regarding serial#'s and years as well. Below is the photo of my SS 16220 w/engine turned bezel stick markers which is an 'F' serial# (Fall of '03). I have one question. If Rolex started with the Rehaut in '04 why wouldn't my '05 116324 have it instead of having it between the lugs at the 6 o'clock position? Thanks.

You link doesn't seem to work.

Why doesn't your have the engraving? Because Rolex is funny. The engraving started in 2004 on the Turn-o-graph and was slowly added to all their watches along the way. A very early 116234 (I think the first SN's were D, not F) is right in that transitional time where the company was adding it to everything. One theory I've read is that Rolex would produce the cases in one big lot and then later build the watch so the watch would end up with something like M or even V serial number without the engraved rehaut. I think was more common with precious metal variants due to their (generally) slower turn over so inventory sits for longer. My cousin, for example has 126201 that he bought a year after I purchased my M serial DJ (I don't know his SN) and it lacks the engraving. Two tone being much less popular at the time, presumably, had a slower turn around so it took longer to get the engraving.

But I'm spit balling here.

If you Google D serial 116234 you will see that the watch often lacked the engraving.

How did you acquire the watch?

Sep 14, 2018 at 10:09 AM Post #12,578 of 14,276
You link doesn't seem to work.

Why doesn't your have the engraving? Because Rolex is funny. The engraving started in 2004 on the Turn-o-graph and was slowly added to all their watches along the way. A very early 116234 (I think the first SN's were D, not F) is right in that transitional time where the company was adding it to everything. One theory I've read is that Rolex would produce the cases in one big lot and then later build the watch so the watch would end up with something like M or even V serial number without the engraved rehaut. I think was more common with precious metal variants due to their (generally) slower turn over so inventory sits for longer. My cousin, for example has 126201 that he bought a year after I purchased my M serial DJ (I don't know his SN) and it lacks the engraving. Two tone being much less popular at the time, presumably, had a slower turn around so it took longer to get the engraving.

But I'm spit balling here.

If you Google D serial 116234 you will see that the watch often lacked the engraving.

How did you acquire the watch?
Yes, I read late last night about the engraving starting with the Turn-o-graph, then slowly adding it to their other models. "A very early 116234 (I think the first SN's were D, not F)" Yes my 116234 is a 'D', my 16220 is an 'F'.
Rolex is a very secretive company and from the research I've done it's very hard to really know what goes on with them.

I acquired the watch from here.
I originally had seen the watch on a jewelry stores site in Branson MO, and when I got in touch with them they directed me to their eBay store.
Upon receiving the watch I immediately took it to my local AD and had it authenticated, so no issues there.

Here is where I've been getting my information on the serial#'s and dates, but as I mentioned, there are many site which do differ slightly.
Here is the link I've been getting my information from regarding the serial#'s and dates.

Sep 17, 2018 at 2:08 AM Post #12,580 of 14,276
@Tinnitus Man
Just wanted to thank you again for recommending the Rubber B strap.
I couldn't help myself and just ordered one for my Sub.

No problem. I'm sure you'll really like it, as did I.

I forgot to mention that there's a review on aBlogtoWatch

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/review-rubberb-strap-rolex-submariner-gmt-master-ii/

This was the prompt that got me to order one when I felt that buying a vintage bracelet was too expensive and I wanted something different to the normal NATO strap.

Sep 24, 2018 at 2:23 AM Post #12,584 of 14,276
Swapped out the Oyster for the Rubber B last night.
Very, very comfortable and sporty...couldn't be happier!

Superb, I'm glad that you like it. It's almost as if it's the "correct" kind of strap for a Sub. It's especially nice how well it fits with the GlideLock clasp as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back